Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 9 of 75

Thread: Gays in the Military

  1. #1
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parker, Az
    Posts
    3,388

    Default Gays in the Military

    WASHINGTON ? Defense Secretary Robert Gates is promising to try to spare more gay troops from being dismissed from the military while the Pentagon takes a year to study revising its "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

    An announcement of the study, expected Tuesday before the Senate Armed Services Committee, marks a measured step toward President Barack Obama's goal of eliminating the military's policy against gays, which is based on a 1993 law.

    Obama has called on Congress to repeal the law, but Democrats say they want more guidance on how to allow openly gay service members to serve without causing a major upheaval


    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100202/ap_ ... itary_gays
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,935

    Default Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by sgallan View Post
    WASHINGTON ? Defense Secretary Robert Gates is promising to try to spare more gay troops from being dismissed from the military while the Pentagon takes a year to study revising its "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

    An announcement of the study, expected Tuesday before the Senate Armed Services Committee, marks a measured step toward President Barack Obama's goal of eliminating the military's policy against gays, which is based on a 1993 law.

    Obama has called on Congress to repeal the law, but Democrats say they want more guidance on how to allow openly gay service members to serve without causing a major upheaval


    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100202/ap_ ... itary_gays
    The biggest flaw in dont ask dont tell IMO was that people would fake being gay to get out. I will tell you it takes more than just saying you are gay to get out.

  3. #3
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parker, Az
    Posts
    3,388

    Default Re: Gays in the Military

    The military lost too many talented people, especially in linguistics when they are badly needed, so this decision is more pragmatic than anything else. That and society is changing and a lot of the stereotypes are dying out with the younger generation entering the military now not having ingrained issues.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    The biggest flaw in dont ask dont tell IMO was that people would fake being gay to get out. I will tell you it takes more than just saying you are gay to get out.
    I'm not saying that faking being gay is out of the question. You never know what people are going to do these days. But what would you have to do to prove that you were gay? And would someone be willing to do it? Could you live with yourself if people back home found out? Would it be honorable or dishonorable discharge? And if the military doesn't ask, do they have to listen if you tell?

    I kind of like the don't ask don't tell policy because I don't think what you do behind closed doors is anyone's business. If you're gay, keep it to yourself. If you aren't keep that to yourself, too. You're in the military to do a job, not promote any sexual preference you might have.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    If you're gay, keep it to yourself. If you aren't keep that to yourself, too. You're in the military to do a job, not promote any sexual preference you might have.
    So, don't ask don't tell should be applied to everyone in the military? not just gays? Can you imagine people being discharged for carrying a picture of their wife with them?
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    So, don't ask don't tell should be applied to everyone in the military? not just gays? Can you imagine people being discharged for carrying a picture of their wife with them?
    Maybe I said that wrong. What I meant was that no one should tell what sexual preference they are. If no one asks and no one tells, then no one should get discharged. I'm not sure why people asked or told in the first place. Could you imagine going to a job interview and out of no where telling the interviewer that you preffered big-breasted blondes? I doubt he would hire you because that statement would be inappropriate. I also doubt he would ask because that would be inappropriate, too. So why is it appropriate to ask or tell in the military?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    So why is it appropriate to ask or tell in the military?
    Because asking or telling isn't as simple as "Do you like dudes or chicks?" and "I like chicks". And when people are away from home for long periods of time they talk about home.

    When a bunch of soldiers get deployed and one brings a picture of his girlfriend and shows it to the people he lives with, he's pretty much telling them that he's strait. Should be be kicked out for this? What if he brought a picture of his boyfriend and showed it to the people he lives with?
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    Because asking or telling isn't as simple as "Do you like dudes or chicks?" and "I like chicks". And when people are away from home for long periods of time they talk about home.

    When a bunch of soldiers get deployed and one brings a picture of his girlfriend and shows it to the people he lives with, he's pretty much telling them that he's strait. Should be be kicked out for this? What if he brought a picture of his boyfriend and showed it to the people he lives with?

    His friend can't kick him out of the military. It would take his superior or "boss". I am friends with several people at work, but not all and definitley not my boss. Everyone has to be smart about who they tell personal things to. Your sexual preference should NEVER come up at work.

    Let's just imagine that I, as a straight man, enter the military. I prance around telling everyone about my love for women. After our first 6-mile hike, I then decide to shower with the women. Wouldn't women feel a bit uncomfortable? How is that different from someone who prances around saying he is gay showering with the men?

    The fact is, NO ONE should bring their sexuality to work and the military is their job. What you do off-base is up to you, but don't think you have to tell everyone about it. I don't know where you work, but if you smoked weed this past weekend, I'll bet there is someone at work who you could trust with that information but the boss ain't him. That could get you fired just as quick as being gay in the military. This really is a non-issue everywhere else, so I don't get where the "push" to make gays in the military admit it comes from.

    One last question. How many people have been kicked out of the military for being gay since the 1993 law came into effect? I really don't know this answer and I'm sure that anyone would have to google it because IT ISN'T AN ISSUE!!!!

  9. #9

    Default Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    The fact is, NO ONE should bring their sexuality to work and the military is their job.
    I have a picture of my wife on my desk at work, most of my co-workers have pictures of their spouses as well. Should we all be fired for 'brining our sexuality to work'?

    Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    One last question. How many people have been kicked out of the military for being gay since the 1993 law came into effect? I really don't know this answer and I'm sure that anyone would have to google it because IT ISN'T AN ISSUE!!!!
    I had to google it, it's just over 13,000. I don't understand how not being able to quote statistics off the top of your head makes something not an issue. I bet most people couldn't tell you how many US soliders have died in Iraq without looking it up, does that mean the number of dead US soldiers isnt' an issue?

    Several (I don't know the exact number) of arabic translators were discharged from the military not long after Sept 11 when their was shortage of people with their skill.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •