Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Activist Supreme Court spits on Democracy

Default Re: Activist Supreme Court spits on Democracy

I'm still discussing the topic of this thread - the Supreme Court decision easing restrictions on corporate campaign spending. I'm objecting to the ability of corporations to now spend large amounts of money in elections in order to influence the public to vote for a particular candidate. Political lobbying and public service announcements are related issues, but different ones.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    I'm still discussing the topic of this thread - the Supreme Court decision easing restrictions on corporate campaign spending. I'm objecting to the ability of corporations to now spend large amounts of money in elections in order to influence the public to vote for a particular candidate. Political lobbying and public service announcements are related issues, but different ones.
    It seems to me, by your own words, that you object to corporate giving that you see influencing elections yet you are perfectly content to have unions do the very same thing. And allow me to point out here, that corporations are in total, FAR MORE bi-partisan than are unions.

One can only surmise you are either unaware of union political activity (doubtful) or that your objection is in reality not corporate giving itself but to which side the mere majority of it is being directed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tight-Waist View Post
    It seems to me, by your own words, that you object to corporate giving that you see influencing elections yet you are perfectly content to have unions do the very same thing.
    I never said that. Show me where.

I never said that. Show me where.
    By omission. Repeatedly I have brought up the similarity of union contributions to corporate contributions and not once have you acknowledged that undeniable fact or expressed any opposition to that in any of your comments.

If I am wrong about your position here is your chance to set the record straight.

Trying to remove money and influence from politics is futile. Unions could have spent hundreds of millions of dollars pimping Obama and I still would never have voted for him. Wait, I guess that actually did happen. If I'm not mistaken, the NY Times endorsed Obama as well.

It seems to me, by your own words, that you object to corporate giving that you see influencing elections yet you are perfectly content to have unions do the very same thing.

By omission. Repeatedly I have brought up the similarity of union contributions to corporate contributions and not once have you acknowledged that undeniable fact or expressed any opposition to that in any of your comments.

If I am wrong about your position here is your chance to set the record straight.
    A bit of a contradiction here? The fact is you are wrong about my position and I'm glad to set it straight. I object to unions spending large sums of money to influence the public as much as I object to large corporations doing it. I am no fan of unions.

A bit of a contradiction here? The fact is you are wrong about my position and I'm glad to set it straight. I object to unions spending large sums of money to influence the public as much as I object to large corporations doing it. I am no fan of unions.
    Well I appreciate your consistency and sincerely regret any misrepresentation of your position.

But I do not share your views. Just as union members should be able to pool their money to petition their government or to support those in elected office who support their collective views, so do I believe that shareholders should be able to do the same.

I would however favor a policy and possibly a law that would would set up a system within each organization that the union member and the shareholder should be allowed to designate that their money NOT be given to candidates or policies that are against their wishes and that those dollars be directed to non-partisan charities instead.

I will add that this is not an issue in which I passionately favor one side over the other. I have been partially playing devil's advocate in order to challenge my own views. It is difficult to weigh freedom of speech on the one hand against the disproportionate influence of big money on elections on the other.

I see your point of view and recognize its merits, but I worry about large and powerful entities (corporations, unions, perhaps even foreign countries) using their wealth to skew the democratic process. No easy answers.

Does this mean that foreign owned companies that are operating in the U.S. get to influence our elections, too?