Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Metcalf's "Jerkin" Gesture?

Default Re: Metcalf's "Jerkin" Gesture?

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    The problem Kr is that stalling is not a legal strategy. Some refs don't call stalling on Metcalfs opponents. I don't know if they justify their passivity since Metcalf is so dominant or what. I once watched Paul Jenn get stalled out of a match in Ames because he was wrestling Cael. Paul was trying very hard and in no way was trying to stall his way out of that match. Cael was just too good and made it look like Paul wasnt doing anything. As much as he tried Paul couldnt get a move in edgwise because Cael was so dominant. So even though Paul wasnt stalling, he got stalled out of the match and rightfully so. This is what should be happening to guys like Mueller, and others, when they shut their offense down just to keep the match close for an opportunity at the end. Why wrestle the first six minutes if your not going to try until minute seven? These guys need to be hit with stalling so that they are giving up points and eventually stalled out of the match if they are not going to wrestle offensively. This is why the rule is in place. Mike Allen, in his hayday was the best ref I've seen. He would have never let this go on.
    I know Stalling is not legal but I didn't see the match. I just meant that if you are being defensive & "waiting for your moments" & are frustrating a superior wrestler, good for you trying to figure out how to beat someone.

My other point is that IF Metcalf was that frustrated that he had to give an obscene gesture in public, (don't confuse PASSION with tastelessness) then he should have taken better control of the situation.

If the ref was bad, then that is a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by drstiles19 View Post
    I would say Metcalf's gesture was out of frustration... doesn't make it right.
    This is the 2nd time Varner has walked towards the Iowa bench and gesture at them. In the dual at Ames he walked out of his way towards Brands and Co and gave the "break you" gesture. Terry went nuts and obviously did not appreciate the gesture. Varner is very talented but has little class at least when it comes to the Iowa/Ia State dual.
    It's ok in the WWF....
    or
    during a miami hurricanes football domination....

Quote Originally Posted by Wiltz View Post
    Not percieved ability. Varner should have had his way with Lofthouse. I don't think he pushed the action like Metcalf did against a superior opponent.

Top ranked Metcalf and Varner. Metcalf did more against a stronger opponent yet 1 stall in each match.

Mueller at 149 > Lofthouse at 197.
    I don't know that you're giving the second tier wrestlers from Iowa enough credit. The kid that beat Mason at 157 is another good example of the less highly touted guys getting the job done.

I'm not trying to say anything bad about Lofthouse. Just saying The expections of 1 vs 10 and 1 vs NR(back-up) are completely different.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke; KR1963 and rpayton

Quote Originally Posted by Schlottke View Post
    I don't know that you're giving the second tier wrestlers from Iowa enough credit. The kid that beat Mason at 157 is another good example of the less highly touted guys getting the job done.
    If Varner is a legimate "Hodge Contender" isn't he expected to go out and make a statement against NR guys?
    RIP Jacob Schlottke; KR1963 and rpayton

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    One reason I love wrestling is because of the respect athletes generally show each other. No need for the kind of trash talking, posturing and showboating that MMA and boxing are known for. When wrestlers feel the need to act like jerks it cheapens the sport for me.
    Amen. I stopped being a fan of NCAA basketball and the NBA when every dunk became an occasion to cock off.

World Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Wiltz View Post
    If Varner is a legimate "Hodge Contender" isn't he expected to go out and make a statement against NR guys?
    If he can.

Wow! Did anybody watch the finals? So many posts about " well I didn't see it but..." The difference between Varners gesture and Metcalfs is that Metcalf walked to HIS bench and gestured to His staff/ bench. Varner walked AWAY from his bench toward the Iowa staff and Taunted them. I'm not saying either gesture was right, but one was more obvious.
    I'm all for some fireworks/emotion, but what was Varner trying to say. His team just lost the meet and he is cocking off. He was favored, he was supposed to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlottke View Post
    So was Metcalf...
    Yes yes, I understand that. I know what he (Metcalf) was trying to say though. What was Varner trying to say? Not saying either was right. Just want to know what was going through Varners head.