Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toughest Collegiate Wrestler

Default Re: Toughest Collegiate Wrestler

"This bees very subjective question dozen eet Lucy?" Anyway, my opinion was influenced by seeing Josh Koscheck take Greg Jones to OT at EWLs in Loch Haven on one weekend then beating Mich. Us multi-AA (3x) Otto Olson for 3rd at Nationals two weeks later, all with a bulging 3C(?) disc in his neck. Neck/back/spine injuries, I have found, drain you.Tough (yeh, perhaps stupid too (< ; but par for about 22 yrs old)

1978 NCAA Div. I finals at 190. Iowa State is 1/2 a point behind Iowa in the team standings. Frank Santana of Iowa State must win to give his team the title. In the second period, he blows out his knee, gets it wrapped, and comes out to wrestle without being able to put any weight on that leg. He is obviously in great pain, but refuses to default. His opponent shrugs his shoulders at the ref as if to say, "How can I wrestle this guy?" The ref calls the injury default and Santana is in tears that he isn't allowed to wrestle for his team's championship.

I vote for Frank Santana.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Olympic Champ

On TLV's criteria: beat the hell out of your opponent and the one you'd least like to be on the mat with, in addition to the names mentioned, I'd have to nominate Cael. I've seen him put a total thrashing on every Hawkeye who walked on the mat against him, saved only by the sound of one referee's hand slapping.
    Last edited by matclone; 08-02-2007 at 09:13 PM.

Simply beating up Hawkeyes doens't count. EVERYONE has been beating up Hawkeyes since 1998
    :-)
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

Sorry for the distraction but matclone jogged some memories.

Obviously Sanderson beat down everyone, not just Iowa guys. But coincidentally it was former Hawkeye Lee Fullhart who probably gave him his toughest match in college at the Midlands (and his toughest state-side international matches too).

I sat with the Sandersons at the 2002 WTT in St. Paul during his first match with Fullhart. It was a quiet tense atmosphere. Of course he settled it up in the last two matches though. Actually thinking back on it, those trials had a lot of drama in them with TJ Hill, Chad Lamer and Raphael Davis (no love lost there), Abbas and Moore, Guerrero and Wilson, Bono and Schwab, Paulson and Durlacher (always great grudge matches). While I dont know DH, I believe she was there taking pictures. Actually I think I literally bumped into her back stage during Sanderson's press conference.

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled topic.

Quote Originally Posted by TLV View Post
    Simply beating up Hawkeyes doens't count. EVERYONE has been beating up Hawkeyes since 1998
    :-)

Maybe since 2004-2005.

1999 Big Tens 2nd
    NCAA 1st

2000 Big Tens 1st
    NCAA 1st

2001 Big Tens 3rd
    NCAA 2nd

2002 Big Tens 2nd
    NCAA 4th

2003 Big Tens 2nd
    NCAA 8th

2004 Big Tens 1st
    NCAA 2nd

I'll give you the last three years

Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    On TLV's criteria: beat the hell out of your opponent and the one you'd least like to be on the mat with, in addition to the names mentioned, I'd have to nominate Cael. I've seen him put a total thrashing on every Hawkeye who walked on the mat against him, saved only by the sound of one referee's hand slapping.

Remember Hawkeye Paul Jenn beat your precious Cael during his red shirt season.

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Wiltz View Post
    Remember Hawkeye Paul Jenn beat your precious Cael during his red shirt season.
    Yes, and the next time they met, Jenn was crawling just to get back to the center, he was so beat, and was ultimately DQd.

They met a few times thereafter and it was never close again.