Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Deitchler ineligible

Default Re: Deitchler ineligible

Some how, I think that some one at the U would have been able to figure the answer to that question out last Spring. Being on an Olympic team or National team certainy isn't diqualifying..........I'll believe this rumour when J says that it is true and not before.
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

Thumbs Up! Re: Deitchler ineligible

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    Yeah, my understanding is that if someone is ineligible for having received benefits, they lose their amateur status and thus are unable to compete in collegiate athletics.
    See Jim Thorpe-

It'd be pretty crazy if they banned him forever, but I could see it happening with their 'one-size-fits-all' strategy to athletics.

No doubt he got some things paid for (his trip to Olympics, clothing, etc), but it's no where near te jobs and gifts secretly given to the top NCAA football and basketball players every year that go unnoticed (or noticed and ignored/covered up)

If he is never eligible the NCAA is a joke and he made the right decision to skip it all together to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlottke View Post
    It'd be pretty crazy if they banned him forever, but I could see it happening with their 'one-size-fits-all' strategy to athletics.

No doubt he got some things paid for (his trip to Olympics, clothing, etc), but it's no where near te jobs and gifts secretly given to the top NCAA football and basketball players every year that go unnoticed (or noticed and ignored/covered up)

If he is never eligible the NCAA is a joke and he made the right decision to skip it all together to begin with.
    agreed...
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

BAR BET -ask anyone how many games the FAB FIVE won for Michigan ?? Answer NONE -had to fft.every game as at least 4 guys were paid . Weber over a 1/4 million . Yet the NCAA pulls this crap.Duplicitous pricks.

Perfectly said!

World Champ

No doubt he got some things paid for (his trip to Olympics, clothing, etc), but it's no where near the jobs and gifts secretly given to the top NCAA football and basketball players every year that go unnoticed (or noticed and ignored/covered up)

Extremely good point. Don't track stars and figure skaters get major endorsement money, and then go on to the Olympics? I'm not in favor of the increased money in the Olympics, but if the NCAA lets some group go untouched, yet cracks down on small-potatoes stuff like amateur wrestling, it's just not fair.

Wasn't Jake still committed to the U when he went to the Olympics...i'm pretty sure someone would have told him the rules about ncaa violations if he was. Also, was Jake the only future collegiate at the olympics, no one else was given a free fricken t-shirt?

Whats interesting about the whole thing is that it can't even really be quantified that there is such a thing as professional Greco and Freestyle wrestlers in the states since they basically get paid at the poverty level to compete. So stupid. The NCAA has gotten WAY too big for their britches. I think congress needs to step in and take away their monopolistic athletic program status or force them to pay the athletes. Freaking hypocrits. Why do we never get a chance to see the NCAA talk on television about the ridiculousness of their decisions?
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."