Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213

Thread: 2009 Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational Predictions/Results/Discussion

Default Re: 2009 Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational Predictions/Results/Discussion

Ruschell got a rev with 5 seconds left. 41 & 49 were best matches of the day.

All my twitters from the CKI are on www.twitter.com/kr1963

It was a great day of wrestling!

Default Re: 2009 Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational Predictions/Results/Discussion

Angel got the OW. Had a difficult time with Robles as I supposed anyone would wrestling a guy who is basically lying on the ground the whole time with no legs to shoot for or grasp.

Really surprised to see how effective Robles was on top. Angel couldn't escape when conventional wisdom tells you that this should be a piece a cake, (ok Angel did get ONE escape). Robles ended up with RT point. That should tell you something right there. I wonder if Anthony would be any better with 2 legs.

Boris was solid & Grey seemed a little lack luster. It was a methodical victory, one where Boris just persisted & waited for his chances & took them. Grey couldn't really do anything against him outside of escaping 3xs.

Omg, great match! The Novochkov brothers almost pull off the double. Filip had Reece but Humphrey persisted & got the TD & NF with 30 seconds left.

Before that the match started with a BANG.

Reece got in deep in a single & Filip countered with a whizzer. Reece then took Filip the other way & put him straight on his back but didn't get control & Filip rolled right on thru to the neutral pos again.

The Filip got the TD & used a crossface & grapevine to try & turn Reece. He almost did but ran out of time. Filip had the RT but with 30 seconds left Reece got the TD & took him straight to his back. Reece was the only guy in the finals to do that.

Palmer let this get away. There was a guy in the stands yelling so loud everyone could hear him. He was claiming that the refs were favoring Ruschell & that they should do for Palmer what they were doing for Kyle. I was sitting in the Wisconsin team area so they were telling the guy to shut up. Funny.

Palmer got hit with a stall point with less then a minute left. It was obvious he was NOT the aggressor & trying to win this out the back door (with just an escape point). Kyle got the reversal with 5 seconds left. Palmer was heartbroken as could be expected.

No offensive points. Both guys shot well but countered as well. The Harvard team was in the front row shouting WRESTLE TO WIN. Hall had his chances but I definitely think JP was the better wrestler despite the TB win.

Colt showed he could have won this match with his quickness, getting a reversal on the edge of the mat, but he just could not control Howe. Howe was definitely the aggressor & stopped any offense Colt had. Sometimes Colt seemed real tentative.

It was the final I thought we would see. Lewnes was solid & Dwyer had no answer for him. Dwyer seemed to have a finger injuries as they were taped. Mack would grab his hands a lot in the tie ups.

Dergo certainly blew his match. He had Smith @ the edge of the mat as Smith was standing up. He just needed to shove Smith off & he didn't. He let Smith get the escape & tie the match with moments to go.

In the SV, Smith got in deep on a double but Dergo had Smith's leg. By the time Smith was given the TD, they again were on the edge of the mat. Actually Smith was completely off the mat save his left knee on the line. Dergo wiggled his way out a certain TD only to not push it off the mat again for the reset.

Really disappointing that he had the match in his grasp & let it get away from him twice.

I thought Lapotsky had a chance in this final but by the time the 3rd period rolled around I wondered if he had given up a bit at times only to try & gather himself again for another go. Brester not only had the offense with 2 quick TDs but he was able to break Eric down & ride him with simple arm bars & ankle picks. Brester definitely looked strong. Refs gave the Nebraska coaches an unsportsmanlike warning in the 3rd. That could have gotten ugly.

Every time Lane shot, Everhart had an answer. Everharts sole TD was a counter. Nate definitely was the better wrestler despite the close score. I think that people will pay more attention to him now after beating Monteiro too.

World Champ

Nice recap. kr.

Quote Originally Posted by grapplefan View Post
    Nice recap. kr.
    Thanks

Someone posted on McDonough's Iowa Iowa State vid watch out Escobedo. Really? I mean the kid is a goer for sure but those extended leg attacks will be nothing but 2 all day with Angel's quickness and unbelievable short offense. Come on SON, Come ON.
    John Smith wears women's underpants!

Not for nothin, but Justin Zeerip, Michigan, 165 taking 6th is a phenomenal achievement. There's still hope for him.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

Maybe he is more comfortable at 174 ?Obviously , the kid has talent as no one could amass his high school record w/out a great deal of talent.

I think I remember reading Michigan people saying that one of his biggest issues last year was getting down to 165.

Ok it's a 2 year bump but I found some videos that I never uploaded so here you are. There is no sound & it is a bit far away but if you hit the EXPAND feature on your video player you can see it pretty well.

125 Escobedo vs Robles interesting to watch & see how Anthony developed over his last 2 years.

149 The end of the Ruschell-Palmer match is particularly exciting. Too bad you can't hear Lance's Dad up in the crowd the entire time screaming to the ref.

165 Andrew is pretty methodical as ever.