Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 51213141516 LastLast

Thread: #1 Iowa v. #2 Iowa State Predictions/Discussion

Default Re: #1 Iowa v. #2 Iowa State Predictions/Discussion

After watching most of the Iowa/Iowa State matches, I am reminded about how annoyed I am with the edge of the mat garbage. (Iowa is not the only ones that do this, they just happen to be the ones that do it best.) They lockup and then push push push until the opponent is on the edge of the mat and then do not allow the opponent to circle back, they keep cutting them off. And then when they feel the action is going to go off the mat, they place their open hand on their opponents face and push them off the mat.

Quote Originally Posted by buckvader View Post
    After watching most of the Iowa/Iowa State matches, I am reminded about how annoyed I am with the edge of the mat garbage. (Iowa is not the only ones that do this, they just happen to be the ones that do it best.) They lockup and then push push push until the opponent is on the edge of the mat and then do not allow the opponent to circle back, they keep cutting them off. And then when they feel the action is going to go off the mat, they place their open hand on their opponents face and push them off the mat.

Maybe they should bake them cookies and give them shoulder rubs before the match. Maybe they should let them kiss their girlfriends.

It's a rough sport and it's an attitude. One that has had much success. And I don't see it changing anytime soon, so deal with it.

And it's not just push, push, push. It's pressure while setting up offense. It's heavy hands to get the opponent out of position. It's a strategy and a philosophy that has proven to win many many many many national titles.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Quote Originally Posted by buckvader View Post
    Maybe their opponents shouldn't back up, then? If these Hawkeye are just blindly pushing them, they should hit a set up and shoot.

You know, these Hawkeyes are scoring a lot of points for "pushers".
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Just got back to St Paul after a crazy weekend in IA. Went to the dual and sat with all Hawkeye Fans (its tough to pretend to really want the Hawks to win when you are more concerned about the Gophers and you are with the fiance's family while wearing black and gold).

You guys pretty much nailed all the analysis, the atmosphere was awesome and IA St fans were really looking for blood.

Coolest part of the night; Feeling all the air come out of the arena when Mueller got stuck after just sitting there trying to avoid getting tech'd...Jackson was PISSED.

2nd straight year I've been to IA v IA St and it really is one of the best environments ive been to in college sports.

I dunno about this dual specifically, but it drives me crazy when people keep backing off the mat. Stay in the circle and wrestle dammit. If someone keeps pushing into you, throw them I would watch a lot more folkstyle matches if people stopped playing the edge.

I watched a few of the matches. I can't believe Mueller stopped wrestling and just stood there at 149, that was bizarre and really dumb. And the 133 lb match was great!

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    I called Ward over Keddy...I drafted him just for this match.
    I went thru the entire thread & I did not see it. What message number was it?

World Champ

I didn't see as much pushing as I saw backing to the edge. Aggression should rewarded, not punished. M*, for example, needs to be much more aggressive. Some of the ISU wrestlers need to get more aggressive, too. Generally speaking, I thought that both teams came to wrestle.
    If someone is ONLY pushing, they set themselves up for easy shots, so their opponent needs to take advantage of that. Aggressive hand-fighting and head control are good methods to set up shots, not avoid them.
    Ward's quick snatches were impressive. Keddy needs to control those ties better.

I just got back from an anniversary trip (it was our fifth and since I normally miss our anniversary, her birthday, and valentines day for wrestling I decided to make a big deal of it this year) and I've only watched two matches but here's my thoughts:

133--WOW! Great match, lots of offense from both guys, very aggressive wrestling. I think that I watched that match 5 times in a row, and I'll probably watch it a few more times as well.

149--Metcalf was doing his thing after about a minute. Slow start for him. Has this been typical this year? If he give up an early takedown against some other guys it could be difficult to come back.

Resident Geneyus
    Intersection of Headlock and Lateral Drop

I don't have time to read thru the whole thread to see if anyone has asked this.... so forgive me if it's a repeat.... How does this meet turn out with Sanderson still at the helm at ISU and more importantly Cyler still wrestling there?
    Last edited by maroon-n-gold; 12-10-2009 at 11:53 AM.
    Those of you who think you know it all really annoy those of us who actually do ;)