Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Metcalf vs. LeValley video

Default Re: Metcalf vs. LeValley video

My Observations

- Nice job by LeValley through out the match staying in tight on the feet and trying to work a 2 on 1 (sometimes it resembled a russian, sometimes it looked just like a straight 2 on 1) to slow Metcalf down.

Not quite as blatant as what Jake Patacsil used to do but seemingly equally if not more effective since LeValley was bringing the 2 on 1 up high and tight into his body not just clinging to the wrist out in front ala Patacsil.

Less likely to get called for stalling (like Patacsil eventually would get hit for) and it gives you a little more control since you've got it tight to you.

- As Zapp notes, some crazy right knee flexibility by LeValley on several single leg attempts by Metcalf during the match.

- Thought the high crotch at around the 2:30 mark might have been stalemated a little quickly. Judging by the chuckle from the guys filming the match, so did they.

- Maybe the loudest cheer I've heard from a crowd after a 0-0 first period.

- In terms of the double that went out of bounds, when they landed just from what it looks like on the video they both went out of bounds with their legs up off of the mat and then when their legs came back down it made it look like they were back in bounds. If this makes sense.

- Nice job by both guys in the situation at around the 7:15 mark. I assume this was the shot that Zapp mentions that LeValley nearly countered. LeValley did a great job rubber kneeing around getting his leg straight getting his leg straight and attacking the grip on his right foot. To Metcalf's credit as soon as LeValley broke the grip on his right foot he immediately grabbed it again to prevent that TD.

- Credit to LeValley for legitimately going after the TD at the end and trying to win the match there. He took the last three or four shots. That single that he had at the buzzer could have made things very interesting if he'd had 5-10 more seconds on the clock. Metcalf however does have very good leg defense even when guys are in on him (one of the most underrated parts of his game in my opinion) so it obviously wouldn't have been guaranteed.

- Overall good tough wrestling by both guys.

Looked like Metcalf was having to wrestle Mr. Plastic. That was fun. The 2 on 1 was clearly effective here.

Levalley I think wanted a 3-2 match, and he got it.
    Was he trying to win? Not in my opinion.
    This match to me is not like when Metcalf wrestled Steve Brown, Brown I felt was really working trying to get TD's(which he got)

Good shot defense by Levalley and tying up arms was able to yield Levalley the best possible outcome he could hope for.

Metcalf once again showed great ability to penetrate but his shots arent quite "funk proof" like a JB or something.

I hope this was a bit of an off match for Brent, possibly still adjusting to his weight.

Or perhaps from not training year round this season he has put himself in position to peak in the post season, not regular season as many hawks did last year.

All this to say that this match is a perfect storm for a close result with a very hot wrestler.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Brown didn't get any TD's against Metcalf last year.

You will also notice LeValley's control of Metcalfs left wrist seems to slow him down. Someone did there homework on Metcalf. Gopher missed your remarks see somelse noticed it.

Not sure why you wouldn't want a 3-2 match with Metcalf with 1 minute left. Gives you a shot at a counter or a scramble takedown. Alot of guys did this to DS his sophomore and junior seasons. If it becomes a trend, refs need to start calling stalls early in the match so the aggressors are rewarded for staying aggressive.

I don't think Metcalf showed the always aggressive, constant pressure fire that we are used to seeing from him. And before someone jumps on me for speaking against the all-powerful Metcalf, I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. Maybe he's trying to focus his efforts more to a freestyle mindset and maybe, like vais said, he's trying to peak for NCAAs rather than be peaked the whole season. Either way, I don't think you need to be going 100mph 100% of the time to be a great wrestler (though that is certainly what makes Metcalf Metcalf), and if he has chosen to wrestle differently this year I'll be interested to see it. Maybe it was just this match, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    I don't think Metcalf showed the always aggressive, constant pressure fire that we are used to seeing from him. And before someone jumps on me for speaking against the all-powerful Metcalf, I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. Maybe he's trying to focus his efforts more to a freestyle mindset and maybe, like vais said, he's trying to peak for NCAAs rather than be peaked the whole season. Either way, I don't think you need to be going 100mph 100% of the time to be a great wrestler (though that is certainly what makes Metcalf Metcalf), and if he has chosen to wrestle differently this year I'll be interested to see it. Maybe it was just this match, though.
    I don't know. I guess we'll see. Part of the fact was that LeValley was doing his best to shorten the match and slow Metcalf down, and when Metcalf did shoot, prolonged scrambles happened rather then instant Metcalf takedowns. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'll just need to see a few more matches to know.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    I'll just need to see a few more matches to know.
    I concur...