Page 62 of 179 FirstFirst ... 12525960616263646572112162 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Penn State Wrestling

Default Re: Everything Penn State Wrestling

Dan Gable gives Cael Sanderson more props than some anti-cael posters:

?To go to Penn State and win it in two years was a real challenge and a very difficult reality,? said Dan Gable, the legendary Iowa head coach who name was associated with this award since retiring from the sport in 1997. ?When you look how quickly coaches can develop people, it doesn?t usually happen that fast, especially with the young guys on a team.?

Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    Dan Gable gives Cael Sanderson more props than some anti-cael posters:

Big day.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

@vais
    Yea I was bored...whaddya gonna do...
    btw u still have the best signature (ever)....

(Now back to our regularly scheduled program....which is already in progress...)

...Brad, first of all congratulations to you, on the team championship & a fine career at Penn State.

Thanks!

1) Now, after this historic win, do you think that the team is going to have more pressure on them to repeat next season? Or are they going to be all ?loosey-goosey? next year because they already won one?

I think that they are going to be hungrier. I think as a team we are really loosey-goosey as it is. We like to have fun inside the wrestling room. Outside of the wrestling room we?re goofy. I think that it is just going to make us hungrier....MORE HERE: 20 Questions: Brad Pataky inteview

Since this is Everything Penn State, thought I'd throw in that the PSU boys basketball coach is leaving so he can coach Navy Bball. From the big 10 to a patriot league team with height restrictions. Guy was a PSU alum. How bad IS that job!?

It really is that bad. Moderate pressure that is growing which wouldn't be that bad except they keep support at the bare minimum. Weak fan base with little funding.

Penn State is so jacked up, they don't even own the on-campus basketball building (Bryce Jordan Center). Athletics struck a deal with a private financing group to fund its construction. The group owns the building, PSU has to rent it to use it. I'm not kidding. When wrestling was considering using it, (or had to one year because Rec Hall was already booked) PSU had to pay about $10k to open the doors.

Last time I checked this was a wrestling board though I do like to post other non-wrestling PSU news from time to time. But if you really want a PSU BB discussion here is a link:

Scout.com: Why Philly recruits bypass Penn State basketball

I posted my double Lincolns there...

Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    Last time I checked this was a wrestling board though I do like to post other non-wrestling PSU news from time to time. .
    You're the only one allowed to post non wrestling stuff?

You must understand the boards are slow, if i have the opportunity to dig, you best believe I shall.

So, BlueBlood, are you saying that the PSU athletic department is not well off financially?

I would not have expected that.

No, not exactly. I'd say PSU athletics is in good, but not outstanding shape. The BIG (or whatever the new, crappy logo is) and its network is a great help. They do carry a large number of sports, which might hurt a little. But even as a non-basketball fan (at least now that I'm here) I do believe they could have put more into the program and have made a conscious choice to not do so.

At the risk of fueling the fire of Iowa fans, hiring Cael was a substantial shift on philosophy for athletics at PSU. Typically, PSU would hire either 1) a mid-level, moderately respected coach who had solid PSU ties like DeChellis and his predecossors, or someone who had gone to PSU and stayed on as a coach (Fritz, Sunderland). PSU also has been notorious for underpaying their coaches. Paterno is around a million/year which puts him low on the Big10 scale (ridiculously low for his record) and DeChellis was at the bottom, and not by a little.

It will be very interesting to see what direction PSU goes on this. Optimistically, I think they hire/promote an interim and do a full search next year. Pessimistically, they hire yet another marginal candidate with PSU ties. I'd be very, very surprised if they stepped up right now, paid a lot, and made a real run at someone who could improve the recruiting level of the program.