Page 58 of 177 FirstFirst ... 8485556575859606168108158 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Penn State Wrestling

Default Re: Everything Penn State Wrestling

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    We have different perspectives. Of course you want to win everything every time, but a dual loss makes no difference in the grand scheme of things because there is no dual championship. It would be different if there was. It's not like football. Thats why, while beating Penn St in a dual was nice and made me feel good, it didint mean jack shit because we lost at nationals. I could care less, anymore that we won a dual. Dual meets are fun but they carry no weight.
    Herkey--I got to admit, you're consistent!

Quote Originally Posted by TomWright25 View Post
    Herkey--I got to admit, you're consistent!
    I just have very high standards for the Iowa wrestling team. The only thing that really matters is winning a national title. Getting third still gets you a trophy, but it's the wrong color and it kinda sucks. Hope I don't sound too presumptious when I say that, but I think I speak for the majority of Iowa wrestling fans when I say it. Not many teams have achieved the kind of success that Iowa has, in any sport, but if they have their fans understand where I am coming from. Second is nice, but we don't really care about nice.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    I just have very high standards for the Iowa wrestling team. The only thing that really matters is winning a national title. Getting third still gets you a trophy, but it's the wrong color and it kinda sucks. Hope I don't sound too presumptious when I say that, but I think I speak for the majority of Iowa wrestling fans when I say it. Not many teams have achieved the kind of success that Iowa has, in any sport, but if they have their fans understand where I am coming from. Second is nice, but we don't really care about nice.
    With all the success that Iowa has had over the years I can understand your (and other Hawkeye fans') perspective. But at the same time it makes me feel kinda sad. It's always good to strive for #1 and be disappointed if you don't get there. But to have anything less than #1 be a total failure sets one up for a lot of grief and pain.

Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    I am saying that those losses are not sticking in his craw. He learned from them & he won.

If the measure is the PROCESS then by Statistics Taylor would win. If the measure is the RESULT then Q had the better year. I think DT would trade his record for the Championship & Q's record.

You are looking at the awards picture from the perspective of a wrestler and not the perspective of the folks that hand out the team awards. Taylor and Q would no doubt rather have his name above the title, but from the perspective of those deciding who gets which "team" award, there's no question Taylor had the better year. Every wrestler wants a national title, but I can tell you they would much rather have that national championship team ring on their finger than a plaque on the wall.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by TomWright25 View Post
    With all the success that Iowa has had over the years I can understand your (and other Hawkeye fans') perspective. But at the same time it makes me feel kinda sad. It's always good to strive for #1 and be disappointed if you don't get there. But to have anything less than #1 be a total failure sets one up for a lot of grief and pain.
    Not really. I'm also a Cubs fan so I know what grief and pain is all about. When the Hawks dont win, I dont get down int he dumps for too long. Maybe like a day, then I move along. It's dissapointing but I keep it in perspecitve. I'd rather lose and be Iowa then win and be Penn St every time.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Conaway seems like a good addition. Give him a redshirt year to adjust to college and grow into 125. It seems possible Megaludis will go 125 next year, presumably redshirt the following year and jump in at 133 after Long graduates.

From the Wright story, it seems possible he could be bumping up to 197 (and, I would think, Ruth would move up to 184) next season. Could be a very solid lineup next year.

Quote Originally Posted by RYou View Post
    Every wrestler wants a national title, but I can tell you they would much rather have that national championship team ring on their finger than a plaque on the wall.
    So Robles and Jenkins would trade in their individual championships for a team championship? I disagree.

The more interesting question would be would you rather have Jenkins' year or Taylor's season? A finals win in your last go-round with nothing else to show for the season. Or a finals loss in your first go-round, along with a team Virginia Duals championship, a team co-championship in the Southern Scuffle, a team championship in the Big Tens and a team championship at Nationals. I guess it depends on whether you view the sport as solely an individual one or a team one.

Another way to look at it is that a Nationals team championship is harder to attain than an individual one. Witness the short list of schools that have been able to accomplish it. If you are an integral part of all that team accomplishment, would you trade your final's result for all of that? If you are a real "team" guy (especially one with three more shots at an individual title), I think you say "no".
    Last edited by Steve Eisenhauer; 04-15-2011 at 12:13 PM.

It would be interesting to survey different athletes in sports where individual effort adds up to a team win, like Gymnastics, Fencing, Wrestling, College Tennis & Golf, Boxing etc to see what would be more satisfying:

1) An individual championship but none for your team
    2) A team championship but none for you

I am going to bet, that if athletes were honest that their answer would be #1. Another reason to me would be that if an athlete becomes an individual champ then he is more likely to try & elevate his team for the next team competition. If a team wins but he/she doesn't my guess would be that that athlete might be a bit more introverted upon his own performance. It is an interesting dynamic.