Page 167 of 179 FirstFirst ... 67117157164165166167168169170177 ... LastLast
Results 1,495 to 1,503 of 1606

Thread: Everything Penn State Wrestling

Default Re: Everything Penn State Wrestling

Well even though our consi's didn't go so well we had a great championship round bracket. Tayor is on fire, Ruth is looking his dominant self and Q is having fun being Q! Dylan Alton wrestled a great match, I was so impressed by his performance, you can tell his practice time with Taylor has really payed off especially with his scrambling. I know he lost but I thought he wrestled great. If he can keep up that pace I like him against Green (most likely).

Oklahoma State is capable of scoring a grand total of 143.
    Thats 49 more points.

22 of that total, is IF they won by FALL all of their remaining matches.
    That means the other 27 potential points are MATCH POINTS.

PSU is up by 20.5.

Basically for OSU to win they will need TWO things to happen:

1) PSU goes 0 for 5 tomorrow,
    (if you look at the seeds PSU is only favored by seeding in ONE match tomorrow, Ed Ruth's);

2) OSU has to win 7 out of 11 matches tomorrow,
    (which in their seedings they are favored to do).
    NINE of their matches will before the finals
    They are favored, seedings-wise, in 5 of those.

So even though there are NO LIONS in tomorrow's morning session
    there is still a lot to pay attention to in terms of WHO TO ROOT FOR
    with regards to the TEAM RACE.

If OSU finishes the early session tomorrow with 102 or less team points...GAME OVER.

REMEMBER
    Tomorrow's FINALS start at 174.
    That means an IMMEDIATE Penn State vs Oklahoma State showdown!
    A MATT BROWN NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP for himself
    could very well translate into a 3PEAT!

As far as Minnesota goes
    look for the Gophers to be eliminated
    by the time the 174 consi semis & medal round is over
    IF not sooner.

And lets just put some icing on the cake
    by having the guys go FIVE FOR FIVE (545) tomorrow night.

Great review KR. My wife and I were talking about the points but this clears it right up. Brown's match with Perry could be a monster for the team result.

I said to a friend last week that if PSU got 5 in the finals and had 3 champs, they should go ahead and call it the best tournament ever. I almost can't believe how the semi's went yesterday. I could see us having 1-5 champs. My stress level is high...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloodLion View Post

I said to a friend last week that if PSU got 5 in the finals and had 3 champs, they should go ahead and call it the best tournament ever. I almost can't believe how the semi's went yesterday. I could see us having 1-5 champs. My stress level is high...
    Why would it be the best tournament ever? You mean overall for a spectator? Or from a PSU perspective?
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Purely PSU perspective.
    I think at least Iowa has had more finalists and more champs in one tournament than that - but you probably know better off the top of your head than I would.

Finals thoughts:

Brown wrestled well I thought. He was the aggressor throughout and although I thought he could've been even more aggressive I understand, given the circumstances, why he wasn't. Perry did nothing but clamp down in OT. Gotta give him credit for that, he did what Brown couldn't, but it was still frustrating to watch.

Ed was Ed, doing what Ed does. I thought Hamlin might give him a better match but Ruth could take him down at will it seemed, glad he stepped it up at the end and got the major. Great win to finish off a great season.

Q was the highlight of the night IMO. Wrestled a great match where all the "experts" picked Kilgore. An excellent end to an excellent career and fitting that his win locked up the team championship.

Like Brown I thought Megaludis wrestled a great match. He pushed the pace, made all the decent shots and looked like the better wrestle. One bad scramble later and Delgado walks away with it. Heartbreaking for Nico but he'll be back.

I have to say I almost would've given up the team championship just to have Taylor beat Dake but at least Dake really earned it this time. Coming up with the TD to match Taylor's in the first and then riding the hell out of him in the third were the keys I thought. I wish DT had opened up more, especially in the 2nd, but credit Dake for not letting him.

Now that it is over there are a few things I did not expect. The city city of Des Moines was a lot nicer than I thought it would be. I can't say the same about the arena though. Never in a million years would I have thought that the Iowa fans would cheer louder against Penn State than they did for there own wrestlers. Did not even hear the I O W A cheer one time. It used to be impressive to hear and thought at home it would amazing. It is so cool to be hated and hope it never stops. But nothing lasts forever so enjoy it while we can.

Just wanted to congratulate the PSU contingent on another impressive title. Very impressed with Brown. I too thought he pushed the action. Not sure if he was trying to pull the headgear or if he was just over aggressive and anxious as some first time finalists are. I think the small breaks with adjusting the headgear, although may seem insignificant, stalled his moment a few times. Ed Ruth is amazing as everybody knows, I think he has ice water in his veins, completely unflappable. Mega had a great tourney, but I just feel Delgado is the better wrestler/scrambler. Mega did well pushing the action, but he needs to finish quicker ( as well as other opponents against Delgado) to avoid the scramble with him. Even though DT lost to Dake, you guys have to credit him with being one of the biggest contributor's to the team title. Pinning his way the finals was the cornerstone for it. He showed urgency for his team knowing that he was not going to get bonus in all likelyhood with Dake. DT was a bit over energized over that first take down and when Dake slipped his ride for a near reversal, I think that rattled his confidence a bit. Not getting the escape in the second was his biggest problem I believe, credit Dake for waiting towards the end of the period for the takedown. I feel Dake waited and took the shot strategically that way. I felt Taylor should have started neutral in the third, get the takedown and gather ride time, but that's me. He has been able to break Dake's ride in the past so I can't fault him for that. Very happy for Quentin Wright. He's such a standup guy and a great influence in that locker room. Kilgore was doing a lot of cheap rough housing in the beginning trying rattle Q. Didn't faze him one bit. He did a fantastic job working Killer into ties that favored him to throw for TD's. Very methodical and technical wrestler. PSU is in line for another title next year, but it will be interesting to see how the team develops when Taylor and Ruth have graduated. I'm sure the talent will not stop coming into the room, but Taylor, Ruth, and Q are just special individuals that only come every so often. I'm a lifelong Hawkeye, but I just wanted to extend a congrats to PSU. Really impressed with Cael's work. I think people can put to rest the criticism's of his coaching ability. You can visibly see his traits reflected with his wrestlers and that's what great coaches do. Next season can't come soon enough!

Quote Originally Posted by tloger View Post
    Just wanted to congratulate the PSU contingent on another impressive title. Very impressed with Brown. I too thought he pushed the action. Not sure if he was trying to pull the headgear or if he was just over aggressive and anxious as some first time finalists are. I think the small breaks with adjusting the headgear, although may seem insignificant, stalled his moment a few times. Ed Ruth is amazing as everybody knows, I think he has ice water in his veins, completely unflappable. Mega had a great tourney, but I just feel Delgado is the better wrestler/scrambler. Mega did well pushing the action, but he needs to finish quicker ( as well as other opponents against Delgado) to avoid the scramble with him. Even though DT lost to Dake, you guys have to credit him with being one of the biggest contributor's to the team title. Pinning his way the finals was the cornerstone for it. He showed urgency for his team knowing that he was not going to get bonus in all likelyhood with Dake. DT was a bit over energized over that first take down and when Dake slipped his ride for a near reversal, I think that rattled his confidence a bit. Not getting the escape in the second was his biggest problem I believe, credit Dake for waiting towards the end of the period for the takedown. I feel Dake waited and took the shot strategically that way. I felt Taylor should have started neutral in the third, get the takedown and gather ride time, but that's me. He has been able to break Dake's ride in the past so I can't fault him for that. Very happy for Quentin Wright. He's such a standup guy and a great influence in that locker room. Kilgore was doing a lot of cheap rough housing in the beginning trying rattle Q. Didn't faze him one bit. He did a fantastic job working Killer into ties that favored him to throw for TD's. Very methodical and technical wrestler. PSU is in line for another title next year, but it will be interesting to see how the team develops when Taylor and Ruth have graduated. I'm sure the talent will not stop coming into the room, but Taylor, Ruth, and Q are just special individuals that only come every so often. I'm a lifelong Hawkeye, but I just wanted to extend a congrats to PSU. Really impressed with Cael's work. I think people can put to rest the criticism's of his coaching ability. You can visibly see his traits reflected with his wrestlers and that's what great coaches do. Next season can't come soon enough!
    Thanks for the post tloger, it is much appreciated, especially coming from a Hawkeye!

Page 167 of 179 FirstFirst ... 67117157164165166167168169170177 ... LastLast