Page 145 of 178 FirstFirst ... 4595135142143144145146147148155 ... LastLast
Results 1,297 to 1,305 of 1601

Thread: Everything Penn State Wrestling

Default Re: Everything Penn State Wrestling

I think the penalties handed down by the NCAA are meant as a warning to others more than a punishment for PSU. Lots of collateral damage at PSU, but the lesson is to every other member institution, don't even think for a second about covering up child rape.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloodLion View Post
    I enjoy the wry apology to Russ but not Kurt.

As for this:

By that logic, virtually every violation for a major football or basketball program should result in penalties against all sports.

To be honest, I'm tired of the blood thirsty buffoons who want everyone who wears blue and white to suffer for this. A few people did some very bad stuff - they deserve everything the legal system can throw at them. Suggesting that penalizing athletes and coaches who were not only not involved, but weren't even at Penn State when it happened, is simply misplaced anger and vengeance. It can't undo what happened. It doesn't help the victims.

Plenty of people are being penalized more than enough for the actions of others.

Not sure what I said that I needed to apologies to Kurt for. I gave one to Russ for the sideways jab at Indiana. I'm about 99% sure Russ knows I was kidding.

I'm not for penalizing athletes and coaches who werent involved. But the athletic department at Penn State did cover it up and the athletic department as a whole should be penalized. The coaches and athletes can chose to stay or go. It's unfortunate that the predecessors to the current athletic departments administration has put them in the position they are now in, but that's the way it is. I don't harbor any misplaced anger and vengeance. I have no opinions against any of the current coaches, athletes or administrators. But the university needs to suffer more to set an example. IMO they are getting off easy with the penalty handed down yesterday.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Herk,
    IU will ALWAYS be on the bottom in the B1G ! And I knew you were joking .

I hope all PSU sports do NOT suffer for this .
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

As an aside , albeit child molesting is horrible , the Catholic church has been hiding pedophiles forever . Yet they also do great works .
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    Not sure what I said that I needed to apologies to Kurt for.
    For saying his PSU football team should be sentenced to the Big 10 sub basement. Just meant for a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    I'm not for penalizing athletes and coaches who werent involved. But the athletic department at Penn State did cover it up and the athletic department as a whole should be penalized. The coaches and athletes can chose to stay or go. It's unfortunate that the predecessors to the current athletic departments administration has put them in the position they are now in, but that's the way it is. I don't harbor any misplaced anger and vengeance. I have no opinions against any of the current coaches, athletes or administrators. But the university needs to suffer more to set an example. IMO they are getting off easy with the penalty handed down yesterday.
    I'm not lumping you into the misplaced anger group, you clarified your point and said that was not really what you wanted.

I do have difficulty with people saying "The Athletic Department" covered it up. Two of the worst offenders were the university president (obviously not in the athletic department) and a university VP who was not associated with athletics in any way (as a side note, I think that guy - Schultz - should be thrown in jail with Sandusky. And by that I mean, Sandusky gets to use Schultz as his new boyfriend during the day, then the rest of the inmates get to use Sandusky as their toilet at night.) Clearly Paterno and Schultz could have done more, but they are two men, and their actions do not represent the entire department. By saying "The Athletic Department" covered it up, it implies that the coaches of the other sports, the administrative staff, etc. were involved. I do not believe, and I do not think there is any evidence to support, that there was a widespread cover up. I think there were 4 (maybe one or two more thsat we don't know about) people with a combination of massive egos, weak characters, and poor decision-making skills who brought this s*-storm upon us.

Still don't know why I should have to apologies to Kurt for saying what I did about the football team. Do I need to apologies to Gold because tOSU runs a dirty football program too?

BB, were never going to agree about the situation that PSU finds itself in. I believe that those people who could have stopped it, represented the University and the athletic department as a whole. In my book, the crime they covered up is right up there with homocide. I would have loved to see the death penalty for the football team and some sort of sanctions for all they other teams. Not as a punishment to the current coaches and athletes but as a punishment to the university itself for letting this happen.

That's just my opinion and I'll leave it at that so we don't bump heads all day long.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Herkey,
    I found it funny that you apologized to Russ for saying his team is always bad, but not to Kurt for saying his team should now be even worse. It was funny and as you say, I think everyone got the humor.

More importantly, I do see your point, and many others agree. I have difficulty because it casts a net over so many people who try to everything the right way on and off the field. But as you say, it is not really possible to have athletic sanctions (and I agree at least some are warranted) that penalize only the guilty. So I can't offer a better solution.

I will be happy to get back to butting heads the Iowa and Penn State wrestling teams!

"But the university needs to suffer more to set an example. IMO they are getting off easy with the penalty handed down yesterday."

Fully agree. A sports program is insulated and punished, while Penn State skates.

It sticks in my craw that some of my federal tax dollars are going to Penn State as we speak.
    DSCH: a Soviet artist's reply to unjust criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    kr, I know you're passionate about this. I'm not trying to make you mad. I will say, though, that I thought and voiced the same stuff about the Dodd report that convicted Pete Rose (I know betting isn't comparable to sex crimes, but the reports are). It would have been thrown out of a court. Lawyers even said that. But baseball wasn't concerned about a court, they were concerned about the integrity of their game. I have a feeling that that is how PSU is right now. They just want it done and gone. And even worse, many years later, Rose admitted to the charges. Not saying Sandusky will ever admit to it, I'm just saying that you may be disappointed with the outcome if you are this passionate about it.
    Quinn all I care about is DUE PROCESS. The Freeh Report is NOT due process. Its Lynch Mob in a suit.

Page 145 of 178 FirstFirst ... 4595135142143144145146147148155 ... LastLast