Page 144 of 178 FirstFirst ... 4494134141142143144145146147154 ... LastLast
Results 1,288 to 1,296 of 1601

Thread: Everything Penn State Wrestling

Default Re: Everything Penn State Wrestling

"I think other universities and especially Penn State have reviewed, modified, and have instructed their staff and professors on the policies. The NCAA should have each University submit their policies and methods of instruction for review to ensure there is consistancy."

After reviewing this, I can make my point by asking how instructing "staff and professors" on policies would fall under the purview of the NCAA, the N. C. ATHLETIC A.?

So why is this 911 call being routed to the NCAA?

Well......there doesn't seem to be any other organization of national scope (other than governmental) that can be seen to be ideally suited to police the administrations of our universities.

Thus, the NCAA, a recognized policeman, is getting nominated to take action, only by default. Filling a void, as it were. It shouldn't happen that way. It CAN'T happen that way.

There are national organizations that police accredition of courses. This is out of their purview.

Another organization, "Association of American Universities", is very selective and prestigious to belong to. Their prime focus is research and faculty quality. Whether they would take action (ie-expelling Penn St. from membership) on something like this is questionable.

The Dept of Education can take action (ie-fines) based on violations of federal law, which we seem to have in this case. And of course prosecutors can build criminal cases.

Otherwise, it should be mostly up to Penn St. to take corrective action. They should not submit their plans to the NCAA for approval, any more than a select Catholic Church Diocese should (have) submit(ted) it's corrective action plans, regarding similar horrors, to the collective national CYO leadership for approval.

I bristle with each quote attributed to the NCAA on this issue.
    DSCH: a Soviet artist's reply to unjust criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by LkwdSteve View Post
    "I think other universities and especially Penn State have reviewed, modified, and have instructed their staff and professors on the policies. The NCAA should have each University submit their policies and methods of instruction for review to ensure there is consistancy."

After reviewing this, I can make my point by asking how instructing "staff and professors" on policies would fall under the purview of the NCAA, the N. C. ATHLETIC A.?

Well......there doesn't seem to be any other organization of national scope (other than governmental) that can be seen to be ideally suited to police the administrations of our universities.

Thus, the NCAA, a recognized policeman, is getting nominated to take action, only by default. Filling a void, as it were. It shouldn't happen that way. It CAN'T happen that way.

There are national organizations that police accredition of courses. This is out of their purview.

Another organization, "Association of American Universities", is very selective and prestigious to belong to. Their prime focus is research and faculty quality. Whether they would take action (ie-expelling Penn St. from membership) on something like this is questionable.

The Dept of Education can take action (ie-fines) based on violations of federal law, which we seem to have in this case. And of course prosecutors can build criminal cases.

Otherwise, it should be mostly up to Penn St. to take corrective action. They should not submit their plans to the NCAA for approval, any more than a select Catholic Church Diocese should (have) submit(ted) it's corrective action plans, regarding similar horrors, to the collective national CYO leadership for approval.

This is clearly under the purview of the US Dept of Education and not the NCAA.

Child molestation on campus has been a known risk to higher education for a long long time. In fact Penn State had guidelines back in 2000. They were no well communicated and no one ever audited implementation.

In fact the NCAA is drafting a guideline on minors for its members this summer. It will primarily apply to youth sport camps. It will not include anything out of the ordinary. They're covering their backside.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by LkwdSteve View Post

I think we're on the same page; The NCAA should review or dictate policy focused on the athletics, including the sports camps. If you read my first sentence by itself, I lumped the staff and professors as Penn State's responsability to educate and enforce those policies. The second sentence in the quote focused on the NCAA as a governing body to review univeristy policy and maintain consistancy and/or continuity amoung all athletic programs. Sorry for the confusion.

I agree with you that I and virtually all others wanted and expected exoneration of Paterno in this investigation. it isn't there. But neither is the noose. The report is supremely flawed with but 1 dotted line connection to Paterno; the "I am uncomfortable..." email from Curley.

If I had any say and I don't I would wait until the disposition of the Curley and Schultz cases. Confirmation in either direction may come out of them.

Spanier....I'll hazard a guess they will seek to cut a deal for him to testify against Curley and Schultz. The email string from that triumvirate is extremely damaging. I'm sure they want Curley, then Schultz, then Spanier.

Curley could write one heck of a tell all novel about this situation.

Anyone follow Cael on Twitter?

I expected some discussion about his tweets / deleted tweet today.

I don't Twitter, what's the scoop?

"Penn State is much bigger than the actions of a few. Take medicine. March forward"

Later

"given wrong medicine in deathly high doses from the wrong people for an illness already being treated"

Second one was deleted.

It would probably be smarter to just not tweet anything about the situation. I agree with the take medicine and march forward approach but the other tweet was not good. In no way shape or form will anyone ever feel bad for the University over this so nobody there should try to act like the victim in this situation.

One part of me wishes that the punishment would have included all sports for multiple years as I think all sports benefited from the success of the football team. On the other hand, I want to beat Penn State on the wrestling mat when they are at their best. As for the football team, I hope it never gets even close to being a competitive program again. It deserves to be on a level below Indiana. Sorry Russ.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

I enjoy the wry apology to Russ but not Kurt.

As for this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    One part of me wishes that the punishment would have included all sports for multiple years as I think all sports benefited from the success of the football team. On the other hand, I want to beat Penn State on the wrestling mat when they are at their best. As for the football team, I hope it never gets even close to being a competitive program again.
    By that logic, virtually every violation for a major football or basketball program should result in penalties against all sports.

To be honest, I'm tired of the blood thirsty buffoons who want everyone who wears blue and white to suffer for this. A few people did some very bad stuff - they deserve everything the legal system can throw at them. Suggesting that penalizing athletes and coaches who were not only not involved, but weren't even at Penn State when it happened, is simply misplaced anger and vengeance. It can't undo what happened. It doesn't help the victims.

Plenty of people are being penalized more than enough for the actions of others.

Page 144 of 178 FirstFirst ... 4494134141142143144145146147154 ... LastLast