Page 109 of 177 FirstFirst ... 95999106107108109110111112119159 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Penn State Wrestling

Default Re: Everything Penn State Wrestling

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloodLion View Post
    I believe KR is saying that people often act out, perhaps subconsciously, because of their own perceived weaknesses and failures. This concept is pretty well established and accepted in the psychology world (thanks psych 201 teacher). There are plenty of examples:
    The 40+ guy who buys the sports car to feel young
    The closet homosexual who publicly denounces homosexuality (often a politician, but that is not required).
    The child who is beaten at home and in turn bullies the smaller children at school.

In essence, the people who say, "I would have done it better, I would have..." are making empty statements. They can't do anything now, the situation is long over, so they can say anything they want. Some might be telling the truth, some might just be making statements to make themselves feel better about what they would have done (again, this can be conscious or not). Regardless of how true or not, nothing can now be done, so the claims are pointless and unnecessary.
    Thats pretty much in the ball park BBL.

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    What could Paterno have done?

1. Follow up with Gary Schultz, repeatedly
    2. Contact the police directly if not happy with Schultz's replies
    3. Sit down with Sandusky to discuss
    4. Follow up with kids who Sandusky had contact with
    5. Suspend Sandusky, remove him from the campus

or, 6. Do the minimum possible communication and not follow-up, like Paterno. A first-year coach on his first day on the job could have done as much as Paterno.

I understand the Psych 201 stuff and I don't agree with the application here. The best way to describe KR's counterargument would be "ad hominem".
    Even JoPa said he wished in hindsight that he would have done more. I said I thought that he should have stepped down. I agree with those 5 points, however again on #2 Schultz is the senior over the Police dept & #4 no one has the identities of the children. JoePa only knew about the ONE in the shower. #5 That was not his call. It was the AD's.

The thing not taken into account is those suggestions are in a vacuum. The actual dynamics involved are not taken into consideration.

The thing I point out is that all of the people who say that they would done this or that are generally hypocrites. The media are using this to generate ratings & ad revenue. ANd the more morally outraged the person is the lesser their own responsibility is.

People also do not look at the fact that the Centre County DA had some of this data & did not prosecute Sandusky as he did not think he could win the case. And now Ray Gricar is "dead." Though no body has ever been found.

Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    [B][COLOR=blue]
    Then you apparently have not even bothered to read what I posted being so caught up in your own inflamed emotions on the subject. What do you think I need to look in the mirror about b/c I said that JoePa shoudl have stepped down & I have said that the morally outraged are hypocrites. Not once have I said that the blame belongs elsewhere. I think my line of thought appears non-sequitor to you b/c as I said you don't understand how the human mind works & somehow actually really think that screaming & yelling demonstrates moral fiber or something like that.
    KR, I wasn't telling you to look in a mirror, you were telling all of us to look in a mirror. Saying that I don't understand how the human mind works (but implying that you do) + saying that I think that screaming and yelling (which I'm not doing) demonstrates moral fiber is extremely arrogant. Don't know why you are so dismissive of a counterargument on this topic, you appear to be blind to the fact that some people in life actually do have the balls to step up and do the right thing. Sorry JoePa didn't and you're stuck railing about the skeletons in the closets of those who believe he failed.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    The Paterno situation is pretty simple. All you have to do is ask one question. Do you think Paterno would have done more if McCready told him that the boy he saw Sandusky raping was Paterno's grandson? If you think Paterno wouldn't have done more than he did for the actual kid, then okay. If you think he would have followed up and made sure something was being done if it were his grandson, then okay.
    And this brings up what I have said before over what people THINK that they would have done:
    1) If you see your own kid being abused by a stranger I would believe that 99.99% of the people out there would take various degrees of physical action on an instantaneous basis;
    2) You see a former respected in the community boss touching a kid you know the number drops;
    3) You see a person with some power & friends in an institutional setting touching some kid you don't know, where you could not only lose your job but have your career threatened or ruined? The number drops even more.
    4) You hear this 2nd hand situation #3, about a former respected leader from an employee. Now you have to weigh whether it is the truth or not b/c either way lives are being messed with & destroyed. You could start a witch hunt or let a criminal get away. HOW MANY people would actually do the right thing is debatable but I would bet that the number that SAY they would vs the number that ACTUALLY would is definitely LARGER.

It is one thing to rationally criticize a man for his perceived or actual lack of ability to confront evil. THose sort of comments usually come from people who have been there & done it.

It is another thing to irrationally crucify a man for what he failed to do & say that you would have done better. The folks who are saying that are usually gutless hands down.

Add to the fuel to the fire of how he was fired (which I disagree with) & then you get a group of people who know the person & they know the good he has done, who see an INJUSTICE to him & voice it.

& in that the media paints a picture of a town that is football crazy & up in a cult of personality just to sell a story. Those people are WHORES nothing more. They forget the injustice to those children & they fail to report on the work the school & the students have been doing to try & remedy that situation.

All of these points cannot be wrapped up into one neat little package. You have to pull it all apart & LOOK AT IT.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloodLion View Post
    Agreed. While it may be accurate, I don't think I would have gone down that path either.
    Which is why I had to bring it up b/c it is a part of the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    KR, I wasn't telling you to look in a mirror, you were telling all of us to look in a mirror. Saying that I don't understand how the human mind works (but implying that you do) + saying that I think that screaming and yelling (which I'm not doing) demonstrates moral fiber is extremely arrogant. Don't know why you are so dismissive of a counterargument on this topic, you appear to be blind to the fact that some people in life actually do have the balls to step up and do the right thing. Sorry JoePa didn't and you're stuck railing about the skeletons in the closets of those who believe he failed.
    No you are missing the details of what I am talking bout so I fleshed them out a bit more. I think you are actually missing the entirety of what I am saying & trying to oversimplify it into soemthing that is not what I am saying. I am not blind to it as you can see in the post above.

Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    I actually agree with you so maybe we should create another thread!
    I would like to second the opening another thread proposal (if further discussion is needed, which I'm not sure it is).

I think (and hope) the topic has been exhausted.

If not, the appropriate forum was created, so comments should go there:

http://www.thewrestlingtalk.com/non-...t-scandal.html

Page 109 of 177 FirstFirst ... 95999106107108109110111112119159 ... LastLast