Page 101 of 177 FirstFirst ... 51919899100101102103104111151 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Penn State Wrestling

Default Re: Everything Penn State Wrestling

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    Losing close to the 19th ranked guy who wrestles for WVU hardly makes you in the top 20 discussion. PSU has an Andrew Alton shaped hole at 141 and I think it will be a dogfight for them to qualify the spot.

Reber is not the answer at 133 and Martelloti won't be the savior for PSU next semester as evinced by his PSU open showing.

Those weights will be tough to qualify for PSU.

It will be very interesting going forward because they're so strong at other weights.
    I think its too soon to pass judgement on Martellotti just yet. He certainly didn't look like the answer, but it was his first action in about a year. Totally agree with you about 141, that weight is looking pretty bare. That could be a hole for awhile, I highly doubt Alton goes back down there.

Losing close to the 19th ranked guy who wrestles for WVU hardly makes you in the top 20 discussion. PSU has an Andrew Alton shaped hole at 141 and I think it will be a dogfight for them to qualify the spot.

Reber is not the answer at 133 and Martelloti won't be the savior for PSU next semester as evinced by his PSU open showing.

It will be very interesting going forward because they're so strong at other weights.
    I'm not expecting much at 133 and 141. A Alton got to the quarterfinals last year and even had a pin I believe and he only contributed 6 points I believe. So whether someone barely qualifies and hardly wins at NCAA's or doesn't qualify doesn't make a big difference. Last year we had non-qualifiers at 165 and 197, plus a hurt Pataky which was almost like a non-qualifier. So, if our big boys (I'm not including you with "our"--I know your loyalties lie elsewhere) can do well we'll be in the hunt even if we have holes at 133 and 141. No team is going to be a preclusive favorite this year. It will be a lot of fun. But, there's a lot of wrestling before then!

I think most of us are choosing to remember the 18-3 Martellotti from the first half of last year rather than the one weekend after a year off version we saw at the NLO. I'll admit that I was probably as high on him as anyone coming into the year and was surprised, ok very surprised, when I first saw his NLO results.
    If I had to pick his end of season result right now, I think very optimistically he tops out around 7 (looking at Intermat's rankings, I just can't see him touching Carter or anyone above, maybe Quiroga/Schopp/Santaite at 7/8/9.) and pretty reasonably settles in around 12-15 (around Stevens/Keller/Ortenzio).

Much below that would be ok (good to have him eligible and back on the mat) but a little disappointing. If he could get round of 12 points, that would be a huge plus for PSU in the team race. I'd be stunned if he didn't qualify and didn't get at least 2 wins.

Speaking of, as wrestling fan, I love seeing the team tournament point rankings and seeing a bunch of teams with 80 points rather than one team with 120+ points and a bunch of sad sisters.

Pearsall cracked the top 20 last year & beat Paddock when Ian was top 20 so it is not a far off discussion. Numbers don't lie unless you don't believe in numbers.

Given Martelotti hadn't wrestled competitively in a year I am not worried about the NLO showing. We'll see him in St Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    Pearsall cracked the top 20 last year & beat Paddock when Ian was top 20 so it is not a far off discussion. Numbers don't lie unless you don't believe in numbers.

Given Martelotti hadn't wrestled competitively in a year I am not worried about the NLO showing. We'll see him in St Louis.
    What's the world on Sherlock's injury? Do you think Pearsall will have the spot for the rest of the year? I really hope Martellotti puts in a good showing at the Scuffle.

Sherlock is in a BOOT & will be out for awhile, no idea how long maybe a few weeks with a sprain.
    Pearsall could win it but I think at this point the coaches will leave it open until someone TAKES IT.
    RE Frank so do I.

TOM Live Chat Penn State vs. Lock Haven | The Open Mat

We will open the room up @ 1:45 pm EST

See you there!

Well, I guess Penn State fans don't need to worry about who will be starting at 141 for the rest of the year. News report this morning says Sherlock is off the team for, "violation of team rules and policies."

At the beginning of the year, I would have thought this to be a pretty big loss. However, Sherlock never really put it together this year unfortunately so the team will do just as well with Pearsall. Hopefully he (Sherlock) will get himself straightened out.

Page 101 of 177 FirstFirst ... 51919899100101102103104111151 ... LastLast