Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 815161718192021 LastLast

Thread: 2009 NWCA All Star Classic: Predictions/Line Ups

Default Re: 2009 NWCA All Star Classic: Predictions/Line Ups

Monteiro caps an awesome night of matches with a TD inside of 5 seconds and two more back points to beat Zabriskie 6-3.

He ducked into a double and then finished right to Zabriskie's back.

Zabriskie had a done a great job fighting off several other TD attempts until Monteiro got the one at the end.

More substantial thoughts later, maybe.

Just a LoSt kind of day for me today. There's always next week right?

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Jordan Burroughs v. Matt Moley

1st Period: Burroughs immediately grabs for a low single off the whistle, Moley gets his hips back and clamps on a front headlock for about ten seconds...Burroughs in on a blast double but Moley to his credit doesn't give it up as they go out...shot attempt by Burroughs, Moley blocks him off then Burroughs comes right back in with another double to convert for the TD...2-0 Burroughs. 1:43 to go on a restart, and Burroughs is going optional...2-1 Burroughs. Burroughs working the head from the outside, Moley going with the baseball bat grip on one of Burroughs's wrists...Moley warned for stalling. Moley nearly walks into a double on the edge but they go out. Period ends just 2-1 Burroughs.

2nd Period: Burroughs starts down...and explodes up immediately but Moley lifts him and brings him back, Burroughs tried to switch around when Moley brought him back to the mat but Moley stayed with him and they went out. Burroughs out but to Moley's credit he worked for it...3-1 Burroughs. Burroughs shooting and juking from his knees, Moley backpedaling and they go out. Burroughs in on a single on the edge, Moley trying to go anywhere else and they get stalemated. Period ends 3-1 Burroughs.

3rd Period: Moley starts down...second false start on Burroughs. And Burroughs cuts him...3-2 Burroughs. Another double attempt for Burroughs...1:30 to go...Burroughs stands straight up and suckers Moley to try to shoot on him, Burroughs then obliterates him with a reshot and takes him to his back for 2 and 2 more...7-2 Burroughs, and cuts him...7-3 Burroughs. Burroughs working the head hard and then drops in on the legs for a TD and picks up a stall point in the process...10-3 Burroughs, and he cuts him...match ends 10-4 Burroughs.

Jordan Burroughs dec Matt Moley 10-4
    Sounds like Moley wrestled very well with the exception of the 4-point move from Burroughs' trickery.

Final thoughts...

125: Like Zapp I came in expecting a greater margin of victory for Sanders but then like I already mentioned had Nicholson not been given an iffy (in my eyes anyway) TD we see a different match. Nicholson did a nice job using his length to keep Sanders at bay for most of the match, but Sanders showed that his knack for winning close matches that he showed last year didn't desert him during the off season.

133: Watching the first period it looked like this was going to be a repeat of their match last year but things really picked up in the second and third period. Bell showed a dynamic side of his offense that he didn't show much last year but Dennis did a great job keeping moving forward and capitalizing off of Bell's mistakes with his own offense.

141: Didn't watch much of this match as I was in the middle of eating, with Gallick pulling out you kind of expected a win like this for Krom.

149: Boring match overall. Borshoff did a nice job getting in on a couple of singles including the one he converted on to win the match.

157: Slow match early on as Burroughs did a lot of his stuff from his knees, but it picked up after what to me was the most impressive flurry sequence of the entire night especially if the beginning part was intentional like I thought it was. Burroughs stands straight up to finally sucker Moley into attacking him, when he does Burroughs blocks him off and blast doubles him into oblivion to his back for four.

165: Dominant performance by Reader. All the freestyle he did this spring looks like its going to pay off. He and Howe both have looked very good early however Reader did it here over the best opponent either of them have faced so far this year.

174: Dwyer started slow again just like he did against Wisconsin but he did a really impressive job using his gas tank to come back on Henrich. He looked much more dynamic here than he did against Wisconsin.

184: Lot of great scrambles here in a very high scoring match. With all the points being scored and the action it was surprising to look up at the end of the match and see Askren with over four minutes of riding time.

197: Another tough methodical win for Varner over his toughest opponent. Impressive job this time in putting points on the board with his own stuff in contrast to the struggles he had in the last three of the four matches that the two wrestled last year.

285: Two go getter heavies put a nice capper on the night. Z had some great defensive scrambling and then Monteiro came out of nowhere to win the match at the end.

I was incorrect- Gallick had a "Hip" injury not a "Head" injury. Sorry about that. Hope you all enjoyed the broadcast. Fullerton got commitments for 203k for 5 years. California wrestling is not dead. Please support all California Schools. Show up and watch wrestling. SC
    [SIGPIC]Scott Casber, Founder & Host of
    Takedown Wrestling Media- Radio and TV

203k in one day is pretty awesome...

I did not read much of this thread (I was a little busy today), but there was a lot of great stuff that happened at Cal Fullerton today. The fans were great, the wrestling was great, and a lot of money was raised to help save a program that is needed. The wrestlers that competed today really gave it their all. They were great competitors.
    Champions are made while no one is watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Takedown Radio View Post
    I was incorrect- Gallick had a "Hip" injury not a "Head" injury. Sorry about that. Hope you all enjoyed the broadcast. Fullerton got commitments for 203k for 5 years. California wrestling is not dead. Please support all California Schools. Show up and watch wrestling. SC

For some people both could be hurt at nearly the same time.....

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Great broadcast Scott. The interviews before and during added a lot of flavor to it. Having the meet on a Sunday certainly had to help attendance. Maybe we can have it in College Park in the future. One of my goals is to try and endow scholarships at Maryland. Debbie Yow isn't going to be our AD forever and we have to secure our future.
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!?

I think neary all the matches most of the guys went out and were trying to put on a show and score. 3 insanely dramatic finishes, gotta love it!
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.