Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Duals

Default Re: Fantasy Duals

FYI Herkey, Martinez beat Sanders twice this summer in freestyle. I know they are different, but predicting a major might be a little ambitious.

I find it brilliant how no actually ever predicts a loss for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    Me want some ..
    125 tnick beat Bonano twice by majors last year -4-0
    133 Dennis by a point or two --------------------7-0
    141 Diaz over the youngster until he's proven otherwise -10-0
    149 Palmer dec Cathell--------------------------------------------10-3
    157-Erisman dec Nemec-------------------------------------------13-3
    165-M* boringly wins 2-1 TB--------------------------------------16-3
    174-I really like Blanton but Miller is the returning runner up-16-6
    184 Keddy will beat everyone not named Pucillo---------------19-6
    197-Varner beats Byers , but it will be a hellacious match----19-9
    hwt -This is a toss up-but you can have it .............................19-12

I may wrestle Mason at 49 because of the style match up-Mason has a MOTOR ....

THAXTON RULES
    1) I don't know what will be so hellacious about 197--Varner should dominate the match and may even squeak out a major.
    2) I don't have Nemec, I have Sanderson, who Erisman split with last year. I will take Sanderson this year, because I think he'll be much more consistent and really improve from having new workout partners.
    3) Having my "starter" move up from 141 kind of hurts me there. Mangrum should do fine out west, but I will have to find an improvement. You have to admit I have great depth at 149 and 197, though.
    4) I also don't have Miller-- I have Erwin and Rella. Hard to say how Blanton will do at 174. I think he will do pretty well, too. I'll still go with Erwin, who beat Miller by 6 a couple years ago, for now.
    5) 141 is a very winnable match for me, but I agree that Diaz should get the nod until Mangrum proves a little more.

You put a nice team together for thaxton, that's for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    I find it brilliant how no actually ever predicts a loss for themselves.
    True, but the fact is most of our league drafted pretty well. Competition should be stiff.

125: Bonanno dec. Beebe (3-0)
    A tossup about which I have little to say. Naturally, I give myself the edge.

Bonnano lost to Dolan last year. I also have Notte here, so I doubt Bonanno beats Notte, who beat Schavrien last year.

133: Jordan Oliver dec. Mitcheff (3-3)
    Oliver had an excellent summer and has a lot of hype. I will show him some respect by giving him the 'W' over a very solid AA candidate.

Oliver has yet to "prove" he deserves this W, but every college coach I've talked to agrees that Oliver is the real deal.

141: Thorn dec. Mangrum (3-6)
    This is kind of a tossup. Thorn had some good wins last year, but also had a lot of losses. Mangrum will be a very highly-touted freshman. Since he hasn't proven anything yet, I give Thorn the edge. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mangrum win this, though.

Can't argue with that.

149: Palmer maj. Vinson (7-6)
    Apparently Vinson puts up a lot of bonus points (though I admit I've never heard of him). That won't happen against Palmer, who I think wins in dominant fashion.

Does Palmer score many bonus pts? I agree that Palmer wins, but I doubt the bonus part.

157: O'Connor dec. Sanderson (7-10)
    This is a tossup. During the draft, I was sort of hard pressed in my decision to pick between O'Connor and Sanderson (they were both available and I had them ranked side by side). I went with Sanderson, but O'Connor may have been the better choice.

Hard to argue this one. O'Connor WAS the better choice.

165: Marable dec. Vallimont (7-13)
    Another very close tossup. Both had verrry impressive seasons and finished 3rd two years ago. I will give Marable the edge because he has more success at 165, but Vallimont started to bring things together towards the end of last year, and I think a new coaching staff helps him add a lot to his repertoire.

A tough match to be sure, but Marable has been possessed. According to Pell, no one takes him down this year.

174: Erwin dec. Letts (10-13)
    Letts has been getting a lottt of respect, and frankly I don't see it. I'm sure he's a very good wrestler and I know he's a lot of matches in his career, but I don't think he has done anything to establish himself as the class of this weight like some suggest. I'll take Erwin in another tossup.

That's a huge stretch. Letts almost majored Wright last year. Has Erwin done anything other than disappoint so far? Letts easily.

184: Askren dec. Foster (10-16)
    Interestingly, both of these Big12 guys are dropping down from 197 after spending their careers at 197. Askren has consistently beaten Foster in the past, and there's no reason to think that will stop now.

No argument here. Askren weighs between 191-194 right now, eating normally.

197: Varner maj. Taylor (14-16)
    Maybe Hudson keeps this closer, but I take this from their All-Star match where Varner absolutely dominated every aspect. Hudson does pull off a lot of pins, but then again he also ends up giving up a lot of pins.

Taylor's ranked #3, I really don't think the All-Star is a good predictor. Ask Metcalf. Varner wins, but bonus is unlikely.

285: Dudziak dec. Brantley (17-16)
    Dudziak should definitely win. I don't think he puts up bonus against a guy as big as Brantley, though.

Can't argue with that, either. I'll like Brantley to win his conf. and possibly AA, but Dudziak is clearly the favorite.

125 I think swings my way, and 174 I think you totally homered out. Not sure what that does to the total score, but pretty close I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    FYI Herkey, Martinez beat Sanders twice this summer in freestyle. I know they are different, but predicting a major might be a little ambitious.

Sanders was just playin around.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerfan View Post
    125 I think swings my way, and 174 I think you totally homered out. Not sure what that does to the total score, but pretty close I'm sure.
    The thing is, Letts hasn't done anything either. He hasn't AA'd in two opportunities (neither has Erwin), so I don't see how he has separated himself. Erwin has some nice wins in his career.

Palmer methodically puts up points. He doesn't put up bonus nearly as often as he should. I think he would get the major, but wouldn't be surprised if he didn't.

Bonanno also beat Dolan twice last year.

I've seen Bonnano and Notte wrestle, each at least 3 times. Notte beats Bonanno. You'll just have to trust me on that.

Nevada Nutbusters vs VA VVs

125 Escobedo maj dec Martinez (4-0 moi)
    133 Ness dec Fanthorpe (4-3 me)
    141 Krom maj dec Parks (8-3 me)
    149 Jenkins dec Ruschell (11-3 me) toss up
    157 Deitchler dec Hall (14-3 me) toss up
    165 Schlatter maj dec Brown (18-3 me)
    174 Lewnes dec Perry (18-6 me)
    184 Caputo dec Dergo (18-9 me)
    197 Beatty dec Lapotsky (18-12 me) toss up
    Hvy Ellis dec Bernhow (21-12 me)

I'm sure Vais would score 149 & 157 the other way giving him the win but I could also see Lapotsky beating Beatty as well.

This would be a great dual to watch as @ least 5 of the match ups are ranked within 5 places of each other 18 of 20 wrestlers are in the top 12 in their respective weight classes, (one of those not ranked is Deitchler which i am sure will change very soon).

My line up as 3 NCs, 1 Natl Runner-up & an Olympian in it so I really like my chances.

133, 149. 157. 174, 184, 197 would all be matches I'd pay to see.