Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: 2009 World Championships: 66/74/120 KG Greco Discussion

Default Re: 2009 World Championships: 66/74/120 KG Greco Discussion

Is Madsen a head case? He's lost in 3 finals now, twice I think he was the favorite going into the gold-medal match based on past credentials.

And I agree with Lopez as the best P4P, with some competition from others. Both Sourian and Albiev are pretty damn good greco wrestlers, and Mansurov deserves mention as a guy who was won a title with every set of rules in place.

With FS it's Gatsalov as an obvious #1, I'd put Kudukhov as #2 now (only counting guys who actually wrestled in this year's WC)/

Quote Originally Posted by gutfirst View Post
    i'd love to see them call the bottom guy more often. 1 there would be more scoring including lifts and 2 it's in the rules.
    If it's a legit call- I agree. Same with "feeling the hold" calls. There just needs to be consistency, and not just called when it's the home town guy about to lose.

I'd like to see Lopez against a prime Karelin. Now that would be a good match. I got Karelin winning of course. Don't know about you all. Karelin would beat him with his strength and conditioning. Karelin was way better than Lopez is today.
    TRAIN LIKE A MADMAN!

With today's rules Lopez definitely has a shot, he's great on his feet. I dunno if he could score on Karelin from the ground now... in 3 years finals against Baroev, he scored only 1 gut wrench (won 3 1-1 periods I'm pretty sure).

What happened in the Iran-Denmark semi? Heard Madsen got another favorable call? If so I'm glad he didn't win gold.

Mohammad Banna did a very great job, 2nd place is very good for a young team. also we were close to win the team title . thank you Mr. Banna

Alizadeh wrestled very well and beat some big guys. he deserved the gold medal. 3 medals for 3 Tehrani wrestler.

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    What happened in the Iran-Denmark semi? Heard Madsen got another favorable call? If so I'm glad he didn't win gold.
    Madsen used some freestyle techniques ! apparently even Martinetti protested !

I am glad too, He definitely didn't deserve the Gold medal.

Quote Originally Posted by grecowrestler13 View Post
    Sorry, but what exactly happened again? I didn't catch it.
    nothing unusual. the azeris bribed the referees again.

mansurov was outpowered. no way he could win a 3rd period; so the referees intervented.

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    With today's rules Lopez definitely has a shot, he's great on his feet. I dunno if he could score on Karelin from the ground now... in 3 years finals against Baroev, he scored only 1 gut wrench (won 3 1-1 periods I'm pretty sure).

What were the rules like when Karelin wrestled? Any major differences?
    TRAIN LIKE A MADMAN!

Watching the medal matches now. A lot of matches seem to go the same way... "better" wrestler sucessfully defends on bottom, scores single gut wrench from top. At least most of the matches are being won by actual wrestling moves, not last-clinch-wins.

What do you guys think of the 66 kg final leg foul? Definitely some leg-on-leg blocking going on, but not very blatant... penalty or no? Call was reviewed and everything. Then in the 74 kg bronze medal match the Belarussian totally uses his leg to kick over the German on his gutwrench, and it still counts

The Turkish champ at 74 kg was awesome, nice to see someone scoring from their feet. I thought he should have had 3 pts for that pushout. Not sure what Madsen was thinking standing up to grab the head lock like that. Madsen = choker?

Lopez is freaking awesome. Flashiest wrestler, bar none and sooo good at throws. Other than Baroev no one can even challenge him. Same thing as in these finals happened vs Patriikev last year, the guy scored on Lopez and the Cuban got annoyed and tossed him to his back for the fall.

66 kg aside, I enjoyed all the finals matches a lot more than the freestyle ones. Hopefully Fila gets its webtv working properly soon so we can watch the other ones
    Last edited by arm-spin; 09-27-2009 at 05:40 PM.