Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gegard Mousasi makes $2,000 for win over Babalu

Default Re: Gegard Mousasi makes $2,000 for win over Babalu

That's gotta be a typo. It doesn't fit with every other amount quoted for the rest of the card.

Shea Stadium
    1964 - 2008

http://www.theopenmat.com/

VAK - you want us to believe what Dana implies, that the disclosed paydays mean absolutely nothing. Or we can even listen to Lorenzo when he told us the 6 figure contract instead meant over $300g.

Some people are even foolish enough to believe that nearly everyone gets a PPV share (the guys making $3g usually aren't even on PPV)

Many fighters have confirmed in interviews that the disclosed paydays is all they got.

The UFC does give discretionary bonuses when they want to, but not everyone is being handed checks like this.

PJ knows Marquart, right? Lets ask him how much more he got than was disclosed when he beat Salaverry.

As fas as the $2,000 - it's pathetically low, perhaps it had to do with the fact that Mousasi wanted to fight right away and Strikeforce wasn't planning on having him on this card? Perhaps he got a signing bonus or perhaps he'll get much more in his next fight.

But VAK, the idea that places routinely bypass AC disclosure is a pretty stupid assertion. Additional amounts paid have to be signing bonuses, discretionary payments or variable amounts.

A guy getting $3g from the UFC can only count on that much; he doesn't have some second undisclosed contract with the UFC. He isn't getting a cut of profits, he didn't get a signing bonus. He can only hope for a fight/KO/sub of the night or a discretionary bonus from Dana (which I'm sure you think approaches a million a fight on average)
    "I don?t give a f_ck about money, bro. Believe me when I tell you that." Dana White

I dont know marquardt nearly well enough to ask him about his pay but i could ask some of the guys who train with him.

Claudale i would agree with you that only a few guys get extra bonuses. Of course only the very elite guys get cuts of the ppv. Joe silva said that after each event he decides along with dana and lorenzo which fighters they will give extra too. I am sure the guys fighting on the undercards typically dont get those bonuses unless of course it is a submission or ko of the night. I would imagine they also take care of guys who took a fight on short notice or fought with an injury that type of deal.

Quote Originally Posted by p-jersey View Post
    I dont know marquardt nearly well enough to ask him about his pay but i could ask some of the guys who train with him.

Claudale i would agree with you that only a few guys get extra bonuses. Of course only the very elite guys get cuts of the ppv. Joe silva said that after each event he decides along with dana and lorenzo which fighters they will give extra too. I am sure the guys fighting on the undercards typically dont get those bonuses unless of course it is a submission or ko of the night. I would imagine they also take care of guys who took a fight on short notice or fought with an injury that type of deal.
    That's in line with what I think. Obviously guys have gotten bonuses and the UFC can give bonuses, but Dana suggests that the disclosed paydays are totally unreliable and I've read plenty of fighter interviews that say that's exactly what they got.

I know Starnes (since been disgraces) says only once he got a discretionary bonus and that his UFC paydays without that bonus didn't cover training costs. So basically, you are paying to advertise your school.

I would imagine 2 guys who almost got fight of the night, for instance, would get a bonus - especially if that fight was aired on PPV.

PPV sharing has to belong to only Brock, Randy, Chuck (probably some of the reason Dana wants him to retire), Tito and maybe, GSP. And it may only be on PPV sales that exceed a standard threshold.
    "I don?t give a f_ck about money, bro. Believe me when I tell you that." Dana White

Im pretty certain gsp gets ppv bonuses, i think penn might as well which is why he was so upset with fighting in england against stevenson.

Quote Originally Posted by p-jersey View Post
    Im pretty certain gsp gets ppv bonuses, i think penn might as well which is why he was so upset with fighting in england against stevenson.
    He might, being one of the most popular fighters. No idea about Penn.

I think Hughes and Royce got them when they fought each other, not sure who else can demand that. AS can when his contract runs out (it renews automatically, but he might be able to say he's going to box instead).

Claudale I hate to argue with you on this topic again, but lets he consistent here. You put the UFC down for the reported pay they give out to fighters, (Franklin is one of your favorites to bring up) yet when Mousasi makes a low pay, you defend that he gets it elsewhere. So does Franklin, so why the complaint?

Wasn't it thecobra who informed us all well in advance of the fighters and Dana admitting of the locker room bonuses? thecobra said he's seen a sack full of cash delivered to the hotel room of a friend as well as women already paid for the night. You argued income tax evasion. Claudale you are one of my favorites on here, (to punk out) but I wont hesitate to call you on it when you are wrong. Please repent.
    Lets go Brent!

Adolf, I forgot to make an important comment (which I meant to earlier).

Strikeforce likely loses money, while the UFC has earned their owners at least $1b in value. And when the UFC lost money (which I think they claimed for a longer time than they actually did), Dana said fans and fighters needed to support them to keep the sport alive and that he would take care of people if the sport took off. Now its all about the owners.

I don't harp on the WEC salaries, right? (Which is complicated, since they are owned by the UFC and I believe used to compete with any would-be contenders)

Actually, Dana said point blank that none of the locker room bonuses are not reported to the IRS - so which is it? Could Dana have lied!

You believe Cobra that this practice continues to happen today? For instance, Lorenzo said he handed Sobral a bonus after Chuck KO'd him the second time in Money magazine, I guess no one at the IRS was smart enough to compare disclosed payroll with what was reported on his 1099?

Honestly, handing people cash is a bit of an insult. Don King offered Tyson $100g in cash to replace the $1m in payments he owed him. People who think differently of a cash vs a check aren't the type of people who are checking what's included on their 1099s.

No way in hell do I believe that a big company like that is not reporting cash payments as salaries, just so the fighters don't have to pay taxes on it. No way in hell. The UFC needs to have fighters report it for them to deduct it anyways; and they'd be putting themselves at risk to give people unreported cash (with witnesses nevertheless). No damn way.

Quote Originally Posted by clmetal View Post
    Adolf,

No way in hell do I believe that a big company like that is not reporting cash payments as salaries, just so the fighters don't have to pay taxes on it. No way in hell. The UFC needs to have fighters report it for them to deduct it anyways; and they'd be putting themselves at risk to give people unreported cash (with witnesses nevertheless). No damn way.

Arghhhh!!!

This is why you and I ill never get along. You can't see the forest because the trees are in your way. You American's frustrate me so much
    Lets go Brent!