Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A tree of greatness

Default Re: A tree of greatness

Quote Originally Posted by gg121and2 View Post
    BTW - I have been informed by Athletic Director, Troy Dannen, that the 1950 Iowa State Teachers College champions will be inducted this fall into the UNI athletic hall of fame as a team.

It's about time!

If I remember correctly, Bill Nelson mentioned this in his audio interview with Kyle Klingman for Wrestling 411 a week or two ago. http://www.wrestling411.tv/?paged=2

It's wonderful news. It's been my understanding that there has been some "grumbling" from the wrestling community about the lack of acknowledgment of that 1950 wrestling team's accomplishments. (I think Nelson said that there was some ceremony for a women's team, where the school claimed they were the first -- as if the wrestlers' 1950 NCAA team title never happened.)

Mark
    Last edited by ideamark; 08-03-2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: To add in link to Wrestling411

Default Re: A tree of greatness

UNI has had some great athletes. The most recognizable name is Kurt Warner, but they have also sent several others to the NFL and Joey Woody has had tremendous success in track and field. But ISTC/SCI/UNI has produced ONE Olympic champion - Bill Smith.
    2011 NAIA Wrestling Championships, March 3, 4 & 5, Cedar Rapids, IA. I'll see you there.