Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mike Grey

Default Re: Mike Grey

Good points CL. I agree with you, it's kind of up in the air on whether he will AA or not, at either weight class. 33 seems like it's just too much of a cut for him. I think that by the end of the year, it's taken its toll and given the number of guys who have a shot at the podium next year in that weight class, I think his best bet is to put some muscle on and go at it at 141. That way at least he's not debilitated from the weight cut and he isn't muscled by the bigger guys.

on a side note, California's only 4 time state champion, Daryl Vasquez placed 4th as a freshman and then either 4th or 5th as a senior. He did not AA as a soph, and he did not compete as a junior, due to illness. Thus far NJ's only 4 timer has AA'd once out of two tries. He's on pace for 2 AA's, just as Vasquez did. That doesn't say a whole lot for either the Garden State, or the Golden State's only 4 timer's. Don't mean to take anything away from being a 2 time AA, clearly a great achievement. One would expect these guys to be bringing home more hardware than that
    Lets go Brent!

Quote Originally Posted by gobigred View Post
    No argument that his soph year was below expectations. Definitely expected him to be on the podium again and to be a whole lot more consistent.

But to say his entire career has been a letdown seems pretty harsh. He had a very good freshman year. 42 wins, 24 bonus pt wins, AA (6th) and Rev Freshman of the Year (although I thought it should have gone to Lewnes). Not sure how that's disappointing.

Last year got off on the wrong foot starting at 41 then shifting down to 33. From what's been said about summer workouts, I expect him to be back in AA form next year.
    Kind of what I was thinking in terms of Grey.

He was a guy who had a shot at the #1 seed at NCAA's as a freshman had he not gotten knocked off by Joe Baker in his conference final.

Last year he got stuck as kind of a tweener and had some struggles.

I think that 141 is the right class for him. I think that if he works hard enough this year, and if he is mentally there, he could place fourth or third, maybe, just maybe even higher, at 141 and 1st in EIWA. But who knows
    "Wanting to win, that is common to all. But working to win, the drive to go the extra mile, to push yourself while no one's looking..that is the mark of a true champion."

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Oliverbush View Post
    Good points CL. I agree with you, it's kind of up in the air on whether he will AA or not, at either weight class. 33 seems like it's just too much of a cut for him. I think that by the end of the year, it's taken its toll and given the number of guys who have a shot at the podium next year in that weight class, I think his best bet is to put some muscle on and go at it at 141. That way at least he's not debilitated from the weight cut and he isn't muscled by the bigger guys.

on a side note, California's only 4 time state champion, Daryl Vasquez placed 4th as a freshman and then either 4th or 5th as a senior. He did not AA as a soph, and he did not compete as a junior, due to illness. Thus far NJ's only 4 timer has AA'd once out of two tries. He's on pace for 2 AA's, just as Vasquez did. That doesn't say a whole lot for either the Garden State, or the Golden State's only 4 timer's. Don't mean to take anything away from being a 2 time AA, clearly a great achievement. One would expect these guys to be bringing home more hardware than that
    LOL. Guess it also doesn't say much about being a 4xer in California.
    "I don?t give a f_ck about money, bro. Believe me when I tell you that." Dana White

Quote Originally Posted by The Vanilla Gorilla View Post
    I think that 141 is the right class for him. I think that if he works hard enough this year, and if he is mentally there, he could place fourth or third, maybe, just maybe even higher, at 141 and 1st in EIWA. But who knows
    He had some bad losses at 141 and everyone seemed to think he wasn't strong enough for that weight class and that he is too big for 133 at the same time. I think its hard to predict if he'll rebound or not. 141 is losing both finalists, but will be getting new guys from 133 and 133 will be getting Oliver and Graff.

If Nickerson decides to go up, than Grey will have to be 141.
    "I don?t give a f_ck about money, bro. Believe me when I tell you that." Dana White

Grey was a tweener this year, but that could be fixed rather easily with a lot of time in the weight room. He will be much better off at 141. He didn't really have any trouble controlling his weight his freshman year, and I really think that as long as he can control his weight and not have to cut too much he will be well off. If he can get to where he is a big, strong, conditioned 141 without having to cut too much he will be successful.
    "Wanting to win, that is common to all. But working to win, the drive to go the extra mile, to push yourself while no one's looking..that is the mark of a true champion."