View Poll Results: What did you think of what sports the T.V. coverage of the Olympics showed?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mad as h*ll!

15 48.39%
  • Annoyed!

12 38.71%
  • Whatever!

2 6.45%
  • Happy with the sports choices shown.

2 6.45%
  • More swimming , volleyball, diving and water polo please!

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wrestling T.V. coverage or lack of it for the Olympics

Default Re: Wrestling T.V. coverage or lack of it for the Olympics

However, why is it the international fans seem to have no problem understanding Greco and still manage to get into the sport, WAY more than we do? Look and listen to the people in the stands. You can hear a pin drop at US Nationals, WTT's and OTT's. Are we just too ignorant to cheer or want to understand the rules? Or are the international people just that much smarter and better fans than us?
    Oregon Wrestling Forum www.theowf.net/the_owf

Don't you know who I am? I'm the JUGGERNAUT BIATCH!!

Quote Originally Posted by wrastler118 View Post
    However, why is it the international fans seem to have no problem understanding Greco and still manage to get into the sport, WAY more than we do? Look and listen to the people in the stands. You can hear a pin drop at US Nationals, WTT's and OTT's. Are we just too ignorant to cheer or want to understand the rules? Or are the international people just that much smarter and better fans than us?
    I think it goes back to the fact that most American wrestling fans watch more folkstyle, so when the Olympics come around, it's a very different product on the mat than we are used to seeing, and it can be a little tough to understand. International fans watch free and Greco only, so of course they understand.

But they still get way more into it than us Americans do. Duals, we get into, but tournaments, for the most part we just look at the mats, clueless. No one is really in the stands cheering. No real excitement. Our fans show almost zero emotion when we're on the mat. Almost zombie like.

We have no problem cheering for most other sports. Why don't we cheer for wrestling? Its not rocket science.
    Oregon Wrestling Forum www.theowf.net/the_owf

Don't you know who I am? I'm the JUGGERNAUT BIATCH!!

I finally got to see some wrestling of TV this morning with the women's wrestling.
    I can't complain they showed not only Chun's match complete but both Gold Medal matches, if they show this much freestyle I will be happy, although most likely I will miss it because I will be at work.

I watched Saytiev's finals match today on NBC's video site, and was surprised to see lots of empty seats. I understood that every Olympic event was sold out way in advance. Maybe this is an indication of our lack of popularity - even people with tickets didn't show up to see this wrestling superstar in the finals.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    I watched Saytiev's finals match today on NBC's video site, and was surprised to see lots of empty seats. I understood that every Olympic event was sold out way in advance. Maybe this is an indication of our lack of popularity - even people with tickets didn't show up to see this wrestling superstar in the finals.
    I think China's report of selling every ticket is kind of like Hussein winning the Iraqi election with 100% of the vote or Kim Jong-Il shooting 11 holes-in-one in a round of golf.
    You do the math..... I'll do the alfredo!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Quote Originally Posted by ISU2008 View Post
    I think China's report of selling every ticket is kind of like Hussein winning the Iraqi election with 100% of the vote or Kim Jong-Il shooting 11 holes-in-one in a round of golf.
    You're probably right, but still it's too bad that the best wrestling in the world doesn't draw much of a crowd.

I saw a story early last week talking about that -- how the tickets had been sold but people weren't showing up. When there were empty seats, they would get volunteers to come fill them (like they do at the Oscars), then if the ticketholder eventually showed up, the volunteers would leave.

I think it was beach volleyball when they were focusing on this -- there was a big cluster of "fans" in the same red shirts with those yellow inflatable clapper thingies.
    Super 32 Challenge - October 26-27, 2013

"Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

Now that Olympic wrestling has ended, I wish to underscore my initial vote of mad as h*ll. If it hadn't been for the nbcolympics video streams on my computer (which were great!) I wouldn't have seen one second of wrestling. There was no mention of wrestling in the prime time listings, and I saw nothing on the regular NBC network. The casual observer might think it was dropped from the Olympics unless he or she caught the few seconds when Henry Cejudo was mentioned.