Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most dominant after DT?

Default Most dominant after DT?

So who in D1 this year was most dominant after Taylor? Not many left with an unblemished record...of those that come to mind:
    Andrew Howe
    Mitchell Port
    Zain Retherford
    Jimmy Sheptock

Of the above list, my vote would be for Howe, with ZR a close second.

Also, who's your vote for most disappointing this year? My short list would include:
    Tony Nelson
    DSJ
    Andrew Alton
    Kendrick Maple
    Dylan Ness
    Taylor Meeks
    Scott Schiller
    others...

How about biggest surprise overachiever?
    Retherford
    Coon
    Isaac Jordan
    Taylor Walsh
    others...

Default Re: Most dominant after DT?

Howe is second most dominant easily. ZR has a lot of great wins, but hasn't dominated

Biggest disappointed has to be Nelson as a 2X NCAA has the number of losses that he has. DSJ is not far behind being a 1x champ and a 1x runner-up. While neither of these guys are dynamic wrestlers they used to find ways to win the close ones.
    Alton gets a pass in my book because of the shoulder surgery.

I agree, I'm going Howe for next most dominant and DSJ for his lack of dominance. I still think Ruth is right in there for most dominant, but I can't get over his loss to Deen. There was nothing fluky about that win and I think it can happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by ludwigdmd View Post
    So who in D1 this year was most dominant after Taylor? Not many left with an unblemished record...of those that come to mind:
    Andrew Howe
    Mitchell Port
    Zain Retherford
    Jimmy Sheptock

Of the above list, my vote would be for Howe, with ZR a close second.

Also, who's your vote for most disappointing this year? My short list would include:
    Tony Nelson
    DSJ
    Andrew Alton
    Kendrick Maple
    Dylan Ness
    Taylor Meeks
    Scott Schiller
    others...

How about biggest surprise overachiever?
    Retherford
    Coon
    Isaac Jordan
    Taylor Walsh
    others...
    Of the undefeated a, the second most dominant is Howe. I think Port and Retherford are even and tied for third. I very much want to see those two go at it as I think it would be an extremely tough fight.

biggest disappointment for me is Maple. DSJ has taken some lumps this year but 157 is very tough. A defending champ should never lose to someone like Villalonga who, while being obviously talented, has never AA'd.

The surprise is coon. To come in at heavyweight and challenge grown-assed men right off the bat is very impressive.

As far as dominant goes, even with a loss I'll take Logan. My bet is that he has probably put up way more team points than anyone in the discussion.

Surprise overachiever would probably be Retherford. We knew he was good, but probably not this good.

Most disappointing, you could make an argument for 10-12 different guys. I'll take DSJ.

Quote Originally Posted by jmpollo View Post
    As far as dominant goes, even with a loss I'll take Logan. My bet is that he has probably put up way more team points than anyone in the discussion.

Surprise overachiever would probably be Retherford. We knew he was good, but probably not this good.

Most disappointing, you could make an argument for 10-12 different guys. I'll take DSJ.
    I agree that Stieber and Ruth are both more dominant than anyone else in the discussion, including Howe. At the beginning of the season I would have been much more likely to say that of the three, Howe would be the one with a loss(es) at this point but that is due to the strength of his weight class more than anything.

Actually, its hard to say that Howe is less dominant than Stieber or Ruth and of the three he is the most seasoned and experienced (esp at freestyle), but at times he seems to struggle turning guys which is what separates him from Ruth and Stieber.

Logan Stieber is insanely dominant.

Howe has the wins, but Stieber's separation is epic.

When he avenges his loss to Zain, it'll be even more evident.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    I agree that Stieber and Ruth are both more dominant than anyone else in the discussion, including Howe. At the beginning of the season I would have been much more likely to say that of the three, Howe would be the one with a loss(es) at this point but that is due to the strength of his weight class more than anything.

Actually, its hard to say that Howe is less dominant than Stieber or Ruth and of the three he is the most seasoned and experienced (esp at freestyle), but at times he seems to struggle turning guys which is what separates him from Ruth and Stieber.
    I'm not an expert in FS, but I think Logan's FS wins have been more impressive than Howe's.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Cutter View Post
    I agree, I'm going Howe for next most dominant and DSJ for his lack of dominance. I still think Ruth is right in there for most dominant, but I can't get over his loss to Deen. There was nothing fluky about that win and I think it can happen again.
    Dean wrestled a smart match, but after taking the initial shot he really didn't attempt another shot the rest of the match. Ruth was clearly the aggressor after that. Dean got 2 counter takedowns, while Ruth missed out on takedowns at the very end of both the first and second periods. Neither wrestler did anything with their ride, but Ruth was hurt more because he gave up a point for stalling. I like Ed's chances if he gets another shot at him.