Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NCAA proposal would merge NCAAs and national duals

Default NCAA proposal would merge NCAAs and national duals

Andy Hamilton posted this on Facebook this morning.

Link
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Default Re: NCAA proposal would merge NCAAs and national duals

I didn't have time to read the whole thing before I had to leave for work but from what I skimmed I like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

So dual meet points are added to the points a team earns the "regular" way during the national tournament?

If so, that's something that was done in Canada a while ago (Canada west conference, anyway). Seems like a good idea IMO.

Haven't dual meet victories always mattered? Has that changed recently? Will teams try harder to win under this system? Will the casual fan with a passing interest in dual meets all of a sudden become more involved because there's more riding on them? Maybe I'm out of touch with current attitudes and maybe I'm just too traditional, but change for the sake of change makes little sense to me, and a major change in a probably useless attempt to engage more fans makes even less.

Maybe this proposal really is a fairer, more balanced way to determine the national champion team, but as I said in response to the previous discussion of the National Duals, it simply comes down to the definition of "National Champion." In a sport like wrestling, which is essentially an individual sport with team scoring, the format of the championship scoring determines this definition. Do we want to change it after all these years? Do we need to?
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

I would like to see duals get their own championship. I dont think that's going to happen though. I'm not against changing the format, IF, it's going to make sense. I'm like Spider. I dont' want change just to have change. I'm also afraid that this might exclude some teams from doing well at the national tournament based on the fact that they don't have a good dual team. For example; American University had a nice showing a few years ago. Maybe even brought home a trophy (bad memory). However they werent even close, dualwise. Would teams like that get discouraged and ultimately drop the sport because they have no percieved chance? Don't know the answers to those questions.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

I like it. Rewards a balanced lineup while also letting your studs do work

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Haven't dual meet victories always mattered? Has that changed recently? Will teams try harder to win under this system? Will the casual fan with a passing interest in dual meets all of a sudden become more involved because there's more riding on them? Maybe I'm out of touch with current attitudes and maybe I'm just too traditional, but change for the sake of change makes little sense to me, and a major change in a probably useless attempt to engage more fans makes even less.

Maybe this proposal really is a fairer, more balanced way to determine the national champion team, but as I said in response to the previous discussion of the National Duals, it simply comes down to the definition of "National Champion." In a sport like wrestling, which is essentially an individual sport with team scoring, the format of the championship scoring determines this definition. Do we want to change it after all these years? Do we need to?
    Dual meet victoires don't matter much to much DI college fans. How many Iowa fans feel good about last season where they beat Penn State in a dual and then underperforming at nationals?

I liked the old proposal to give the team trophy to the winner of nationals duals and keep the individual tournament and only crown individual champs. I also felt that tournament scoring was too obscure to follow a team race.
    A close dual meet is exciting and when it comes down to the last match, even when it is heavyeights.

In order to stay a national sport DI wrestling does need change. The current trend is the it wil be a Big Ten sport with a few other teams.
    I don't know if fiddling with the scoring is the solution, but to say that wrestling does not need to change is shortsighted. I am guessing that the national wrestling execs look at the excitement and attendence at NCAA and want to spread it around throughout the season and the rest of the country.

I like this idea
    Gold is an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Dual meet victoires don't matter much to much DI college fans. How many Iowa fans feel good about last season where they beat Penn State in a dual and then underperforming at nationals?

I liked the old proposal to give the team trophy to the winner of nationals duals and keep the individual tournament and only crown individual champs. I also felt that tournament scoring was too obscure to follow a team race.
    A close dual meet is exciting and when it comes down to the last match, even when it is heavyeights.

In order to stay a national sport DI wrestling does need change. The current trend is the it wil be a Big Ten sport with a few other teams.
    I don't know if fiddling with the scoring is the solution, but to say that wrestling does not need to change is shortsighted. I am guessing that the national wrestling execs look at the excitement and attendence at NCAA and want to spread it around throughout the season and the rest of the country.

Admittedly, I'm not up on the current state of DI college wrestling, but I'll bet the Penn State - Iowa dual was sold out and Iowa fans were pretty excited with the win at the time. If the purpose of the change, as stated in the article, is to give dual meets more significance, I don't think that's a good example. As far as the rest of your post goes, perhaps you're in a better position to judge what's best for college wrestling than i am (no sarcasm, I mean it). Still, I don't like the idea of redefining what "National Champion Team" means just for the sake of fan appeal. The announcers constantly explain the team scoring and importance of each match involving contenders. It's no more complicated than trying to sort out who has to do what to qualify for the playoffs in the last week or two of most professional sports. When the title hasn't been decided prior to the finals, the pivotal matches are very exciting.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.