Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 19 to 27 of 34

Thread: Sen. Arlen Specter (Pa.) to switch parties

  1. #19

    Default Re: Sen. Arlen Specter (Pa.) to switch parties

    Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    Well, your comment was obviously offered as evidence that the GOP is friendly to colored people. I don't know how else to read it.
    Okay your right, i read your post wrong....i looked over the fact that you also said "the vote" which I assume now is how the GOP is voting in congress...is that correct? If correct please tell us all how you think how the GOP isn't friendly to minorities.

  2. #20
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,962

    Default Re: Sen. Arlen Specter (Pa.) to switch parties

    Quote Originally Posted by Chance174 View Post
    No...i said we are not a party of "angry white males" but we are "Angry" which means we are not only white males.

    Yes I would agree that probably over 50% of Republicans are white males. That being said there are still many women and other minorities that are part of the party and have played a huge roll. In fact I would go out and guess that the first black president would have been a Republican if Powell would have decided to run in 2000.

    I find it funny that people dog on the GOP for being nothing but White Males (which they mean in a negative way) considering everything the Republican party did for civil rights.
    What have Republicans done for Civil Rights recently, meaning the last 100 years? I know Lincoln was a Republican, but I thought all the civil rights advances since WWII were done by Democratic administrations. There was the huge divide in the Democratic party between the Southern Democrats and the progressive wing of the party, but since the Solid South has turned solidly Republican, which started with Eisenhower.

  3. #21
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,962

    Default Re: Sen. Arlen Specter (Pa.) to switch parties

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    I agree GnP. He changed because he could win a republican primary for senate. He has a moderate voting record and made the switch for purely selfish political reasons. This has nothing to do with his political beliefs.
    The Republican party has been pushing out moderate Republicans for years.
    The Northeast used to have a strong Republican wing, but they have been systematically driven. Maine's two senators appear to be the last of that breed.

  4. #22
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    It's a long way from East Colorado
    Posts
    3,740

    Default Re: Sen. Arlen Specter (Pa.) to switch parties

    Yes. It seems pretty clear from history that the South turned Republican largely because of the civil rights issue--because the Democratic party (nationally), including their leader LBJ, was supporting civil rights.

  5. #23

    Default Re: Sen. Arlen Specter (Pa.) to switch parties

    Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    Yes. It seems pretty clear from history that the South turned Republican largely because of the civil rights issue--because the Democratic party (nationally), including their leader LBJ, was supporting civil rights.
    Look at the voting records of those in congress during that period of time as well as the records of LBJ and JFK during the 1950's. I wish I still had the paper I wrote in College because it had a lot of good sources. In addition look who they added to the benches in the south.

  6. #24
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,962

    Default Re: Sen. Arlen Specter (Pa.) to switch parties

    Quote Originally Posted by Chance174 View Post
    Look at the voting records of those in congress during that period of time as well as the records of LBJ and JFK during the 1950's. I wish I still had the paper I wrote in College because it had a lot of good sources. In addition look who they added to the benches in the south.
    So you are saying that the Republican party supported civil rights in the 1950's? I am not doubting you, but that was still a long time ago...As far as LBJ, it is clear that he became a diffrrent polictian when he got to the Whitehouse.

    I will not try to parapphrase it, but htere is a great story of his meeting with George Wallace in the Whitehouse, when Wallace was defting a court order and refusing to intergrate.

  7. #25
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parker, Az
    Posts
    3,388

    Default Re: Sen. Arlen Specter (Pa.) to switch parties

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    To all others on here calling the GOP the party of angry white males. I guess that makes the Dems the party of angry everything else. Angry enviro's angry PETA, angry actors and journalist. The libs are just as angry if not more than any conservative.
    That may be the point..... the Democrats will take the "angry at everything else" folks, even if they don't get along. The Republicans want only the angry white males who live in the south, and who meet a conservative litmus test (either fiscal or social). Nobody else is 'really' a Republican. Well they are getting what they want, and are now out of favor in a big way.

    Want proof, just check out Senators leaving the party, Senators retiring, and the last election.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

  8. #26

    Default Re: Sen. Arlen Specter (Pa.) to switch parties

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    To all others on here calling the GOP the party of angry white males. I guess that makes the Dems the party of angry everything else. Angry enviro's angry PETA, angry actors and journalist. The libs are just as angry if not more than any conservative.
    Yes indeed, all us angry dems kicked the feces out of the caring and diverse republican party.

    Can you say "landslide"?

  9. #27

    Default Re: Sen. Arlen Specter (Pa.) to switch parties

    Quote Originally Posted by washed up wrestler View Post
    Yes indeed, all us angry dems kicked the feces out of the caring and diverse republican party.

    Can you say "landslide"?
    Congratulations your canadite won.....will this be going on for the next 3+ years? I wonder how many threads you have brought this up in.

    According to your way of thinking there have been a lot of landslides over the years. There was still 58 million people who voted against Obama, that is a lot of people.

    http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0781450.html

    Kind of cool to look at actually.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •