Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 19 to 27 of 44

Thread: This is for you, UGLY

  1. #19

    Default Re: This is for you, UGLY

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    % of defense spending of GDP is irrelevent. The US still has by far the world's biggest economy. Do we want to be compared to a third world country ran by a tin pot dictator propped up by his military spending?

    Why do we feel the need to spend more on defense that the rest of the world combined? If we decided to 1% of GDP on defense instead 4% we would still be the number spender by over of factor of 2, even though we would move to 140 on the list of % of GDP spending.
    Why is it irrelevent, it shows that we are more balanced in how we spend.

    I personally would rather spend that money on paying our soldiers, protecting our soldiers, developing better weapons than some of the other dumbass spending our government does.

  2. #20
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,962

    Default Re: This is for you, UGLY

    http://www.globalissues.org/article/...itary-spending

    this source had the US spending 48% of the world's defense dollars

  3. #21
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,962

    Default Re: This is for you, UGLY

    Quote Originally Posted by Chance174 View Post
    Why is it irrelevent, it shows that we are more balanced in how we spend.

    I personally would rather spend that money on paying our soldiers, protecting our soldiers, developing better weapons than some of the other dumbass spending our government does.
    Becasue our country is so rich, it skews the comparision. A lot of poor countries are spending too much of their wealth on military and since they are poor it does not take that many $ to be a significant % of GDP.

    If Bill Gates is spending 5% of his income on car payments that is an obscene amount to spend on cars, if I do the same, I might be considered a frugal spender.

  4. #22

    Default Re: This is for you, UGLY

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Becasue our country is so rich, it skews the comparision. A lot of poor countries are spending too much of their wealth on military and since they are poor it does not take that many $ to be a significant % of GDP.

    If Bill Gates is spending 5% of his income on car payments that is an obscene amount to spend on cars, if I do the same, I might be considered a frugal spender.
    I understand your point and it is a good arguement I just don't agree with it.

    I wonder though how much of our military spending is actually on defense versus the cost of paying our soldiers/maintaining the bases and equipment.

    Another interesting thing to look at may be if China/Russia and the other top 4 spenders paid the soldiers and other workers the same as we did what would their numbers look like....I don't know the answer but it would be an interesting study.

  5. #23
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,962

    Default Re: This is for you, UGLY

    Quote Originally Posted by Chance174 View Post
    I understand your point and it is a good arguement I just don't agree with it.

    I wonder though how much of our military spending is actually on defense versus the cost of paying our soldiers/maintaining the bases and equipment.

    Another interesting thing to look at may be if China/Russia and the other top 4 spenders paid the soldiers and other workers the same as we did what would their numbers look like....I don't know the answer but it would be an interesting study.
    Agreed that it would be an interesting study. Most people who have problems with defense spending are complaining about huge overuns on obsolete equipment design to defend us against threats that no longer exist.

  6. #24

    Default Re: This is for you, UGLY

    I wonder though how much of our military spending is actually on defense versus the cost of paying our soldiers/maintaining the bases and equipment.

    Another interesting thing to look at may be if China/Russia and the other top 4 spenders paid the soldiers and other workers the same as we did what would their numbers look like....I don't know the answer but it would be an interesting study
    .

    This just shows you don't have a clue what you are talking about. Defense spending isn't through the roof because we have a lot of soldiers or because we pay them alot. It is for expensive weapons systems that

    A) are unneeded
    B) are obsolete
    C) don't work

    Before you go clamoring on about how this is your opinion, do some research first.
    Type in topics like "Operation Ill Wind" , "corporate welfare" or "government fraud".
    Educate yourself first.

    Heck, go back and read the initial article in this thread. Don't just go rambling on about something that you know nothing about.
    Your ignorance is painful to witness.....

  7. #25

    Default Re: This is for you, UGLY

    Quote Originally Posted by Black-n-Red View Post
    .

    This just shows you don't have a clue what you are talking about. Defense spending isn't through the roof because we have a lot of soldiers or because we pay them alot. It is for expensive weapons systems that

    A) are unneeded
    B) are obsolete
    C) don't work

    Before you go clamoring on about how this is your opinion, do some research first.
    Type in topics like "Operation Ill Wind" , "corporate welfare" or "government fraud".
    Educate yourself first.

    Heck, go back and read the initial article in this thread. Don't just go rambling on about something that you know nothing about.
    So you know the how much of our defense budget is for research? What am I talking about if you did you surely would have shown us that and through it in my face....lol so we know you don't and can't answer the two questions I raised.


    A) are unneeded

    Why are they unneeded?

    B) are obsolete

    How many of them are obsolete....out of the hundreds of projects the government is working on how many?

    C) don't work

    Yes some don't end up working, if everything researched ended up working that would be great but reality check is it doesn't always happen. Name one industry that everything that is attempted and/or researched ends up researching 100% of the time.

  8. #26

    Default Re: This is for you, UGLY

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Agreed that it would be an interesting study. Most people who have problems with defense spending are complaining about huge overuns on obsolete equipment design to defend us against threats that no longer exist.
    I thought it would interesting......I agree that the over runs are a pain but we don't always know why it ends up running over budget because the stories are usually complaining about how much they cost.

  9. #27

    Default Re: This is for you, UGLY

    So you know the how much of our defense budget is for research? What am I talking about if you did you surely would have shown us that and through it in my face....lol so we know you don't and can't answer the two questions I raised.

    Ok, let me make sure I have this straight. When I point out that you don't have a clue what you are talking about regarding defense spending, your defense is to ask some asinine questions that aren't even tangent to the conversation.

    Then, because I don't know the answer to said-asinine questions, that somehow makes you the "victor" here.

    Should I just call you "Victor" from now on? Or would your prefer "Albert"....seeing as how you are such a genius.....
    Your ignorance is painful to witness.....

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •