Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 19 to 27 of 28

Thread: California Court Decision on Gay Marriages

  1. #19

    Default Re: California Court Decision on Gay Marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    I'll only interject to say that we began the process of "cheapening" this ancient and sacred institution long before courts started ruling on gay marriages.

    If Britney Spears, in a drunken deal, can get married and divorced in one day in Las Vegas, we've "cheapened" it. If I can pull up to a drive up window and get married by an Elvis impersonator in Las Vegas, we've "cheapened" it.

    In a serious sense, we began "cheapening" it when couples began opting for non-religious weddings. We've also been "cheapening" it for years through marriages in a courtroom. In fact, that is exactly how my wife and I were married. Far from a religious, sacred ceremony.
    I agree 100% with what BB is saying here. And ODH, I don't actually think gay marriage weakens anything, I was just trying to explain why others feel that way.

    IMO there is homophobic opposition to gay marriage ("gays are perverts" that sort of thing) and there is religous opposition ("the Bible says homosexuality is wrong".) Being a Christian myself I can see where those with religous reservations are coming from but because the United States (and Canada) are not supposed to be governed by the Bible, I have no opposition to gay marraige.

    Hope thaty clears up my position.

  2. #20
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: California Court Decision on Gay Marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post

    In a serious sense, we began "cheapening" it when couples began opting for non-religious weddings. We've also been "cheapening" it for years through marriages in a courtroom. In fact, that is exactly how my wife and I were married. Far from a religious, sacred ceremony.
    But while a wedding is usually a religious occasion, it is always a civil contract. The two are usually merged into one ceremony, but they are very different things. A couple can get a civil divorce which is not recognized by the Church, and a couple getting only a religious divorce is still legally married.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  3. #21

    Default Re: California Court Decision on Gay Marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    But while a wedding is usually a religious occasion, it is always a civil contract. The two are usually merged into one ceremony, but they are very different things. A couple can get a civil divorce which is not recognized by the Church, and a couple getting only a religious divorce is still legally married.
    I know. My statement was only to show that the "sacredness" of it is not absolute.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  4. #22
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: California Court Decision on Gay Marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    I know. My statement was only to show that the "sacredness" of it is not absolute.
    Sacredness is a religious concept. It has absolutely nothing to do with government granting gays the right to marriage.

    (I don't mean to be a pain in the ass - I understand your point)
    Last edited by Spider; 05-19-2008 at 01:40 PM.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  5. #23
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parker, Az
    Posts
    3,388

    Default Re: California Court Decision on Gay Marriages

    I don't mean to be a pain in the ass

    As if....
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

  6. #24
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: California Court Decision on Gay Marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by sgallan View Post
    I don't mean to be a pain in the ass

    As if....
    Some things just come naturally.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  7. #25

    Default Re: California Court Decision on Gay Marriages

    Spider is correct.

    People can, and have had, private marriages for ages. No government entity prevents this nor should it. These marriages can also be enhanced with other legal agreements and commitments that make them very similar to government approved marriages.

    But there is no legal right to state sanctioned gay marriage just as there is no legal right to a polygamist marriage or even a straight marriage for that matter. That is NOT to say it would or would not be good public policy to allow gay marriages, but there is nothing in the constution, including the equal protection clause, that guarantees the right to gay marriage anymore than it does polygamist marriage.

    Let me say once again, I am NOT making a value judgement on gay marriage, polygamist marriage or even a straight marriage for that matter but to point out just as government decides who is eligble to drive, who is eligble to practice law, who is eligible to enter into contracts, they decide who is eligible to marry.

  8. #26
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,934

    Default Re: California Court Decision on Gay Marriages

    Tight Waist is right the state does not have to issue a marriage certificate to anyone. It is not an express right to get married and the law does forbid certain marriages like inter family marriages.
    Last edited by UGLY; 05-19-2008 at 09:07 PM.

  9. #27

    Default Re: California Court Decision on Gay Marriages

    As long as we all agree, then maybe our society ought to look into trying to eliminate the ludicrous argument that marriage is a sacred institution that ought to be off limits to same sex couples.

    When we argue religion, we are arguing sacred.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •