Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 37 to 45 of 62

Thread: The Freedom Files Continue to Grow!

  1. #37

    Default Re: The Freedom Files Continue to Grow!

    It's always very curious to me as to how the biggest civil rights violations of our times within "certain ranks" is when racists get reprimended, fired, or called out for their racism.

    Yet, when real cases of civil rights violations come up toward members of minority groups, it is denied and excused.

    I guess, as John Prine says, "That's the way that the world goes round."
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  2. #38
    Round of 12
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    485

    Default Re: The Freedom Files Continue to Grow!

    "The second case, heck, I would sure hope that we can shout down speakers that we disagree with! Isn't that kind of fundamental to debate in this country?"

    I sure hope that we would have the common sense and decency to let people exercize their free speech without being shouted down when they are responding to an invitation and we just happen to show up. No, it is not fundamental to debate. A debate is like the Presidential debates, where both sides offer their own thoughts but both get to express themselves within the rules of the debate, or when two people or a group of people express their thoughts within the context of civil communication but everyone has the opportunity to speak his own mind. Shouting down guest speakers that you don't agree with is rude, immature and childish and violates THEIR free speech.

  3. #39
    Round of 12
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    485

    Default Re: The Freedom Files Continue to Grow!

    Here's an article concerning the subject of "shouting down" others in the public forum. The author makes some very valid observations: http://www.capecodtoday.com/blogs/in...ality?blog=131

    You can take this to another level and you would be suggesting it would be your free speech right to go into the legislative chambers at any government level and shout down those who are trying to do the business of democracy. People who are invited as guest speakers should be allowed to speak their peace and those who don't want to hear it can either learn to listen or go home.

  4. #40

    Default Re: The Freedom Files Continue to Grow!

    Quote Originally Posted by Throwby View Post
    "The second case, heck, I would sure hope that we can shout down speakers that we disagree with! Isn't that kind of fundamental to debate in this country?"

    I sure hope that we would have the common sense and decency to let people exercize their free speech without being shouted down when they are responding to an invitation and we just happen to show up. No, it is not fundamental to debate. A debate is like the Presidential debates, where both sides offer their own thoughts but both get to express themselves within the rules of the debate, or when two people or a group of people express their thoughts within the context of civil communication but everyone has the opportunity to speak his own mind. Shouting down guest speakers that you don't agree with is rude, immature and childish and violates THEIR free speech.

    What do you propose that we do to stop this? Should it be outlawed?
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  5. #41

    Default Re: The Freedom Files Continue to Grow!

    I have to say as a parent, when you find yourself shouting you've probably lost control of the situation.

    To shout down a speaker is just rude. When I was in college I heard speaker who was heckled say "If I wanted to hear from an a**hole, I'd fart."
    "All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind." -- Abraham Lincoln

  6. #42

    Default Re: The Freedom Files Continue to Grow!

    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieJ2 View Post
    I have to say as a parent, when you find yourself shouting you've probably lost control of the situation.

    To shout down a speaker is just rude. When I was in college I heard speaker who was heckled say "If I wanted to hear from an a**hole, I'd fart."
    Rude, maybe, but I don't want it outlawed.

    (You were not implying that though. I know).
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  7. #43
    Round of 12
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    485

    Default Re: The Freedom Files Continue to Grow!

    Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    What do you propose that we do to stop this? Should it be outlawed?
    I believe they should be removed from the immediate premise (or allowed to leave peacefully) and if they are willing to continue their protest without disruption that's fine. If they continue in childish behavior they need to be booked.

  8. #44
    Olympic Champ therick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    2,052

    Default Re: The Freedom Files Continue to Grow!

    I won't get into the free speech debate.

    I'll just say that in watching Olberman's speech, I found myself agreeing with almost every word. He was a little over dramatic, and maybe took things a little to far in some of the names he called Bush and his minions, but he was dead on in the spirit of his words.

  9. #45

    Default Re: The Freedom Files Continue to Grow!

    Quote Originally Posted by therick View Post
    I won't get into the free speech debate.

    I'll just say that in watching Olberman's speech, I found myself agreeing with almost every word. He was a little over dramatic, and maybe took things a little to far in some of the names he called Bush and his minions, but he was dead on in the spirit of his words.
    I put Olberman in the same class as Michael Savage. Neither offer anything but pure hate for the other side.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •