Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 28 to 36 of 62

Thread: The Freedom Files Continue to Grow!

  1. #28

    Default Re: The Freedom Files Continue to Grow!

    Quote Originally Posted by Throwby View Post
    Well, I guess that depends on who's trying to kill me at the moment.
    As we know, liberals are killers. Have you seen the numbers of people that the Clintons have killed (even though they aren't liberals, but, they ARE, democrats, and they're all the same, aren't they?)?

    The problem I see here is that we shouldn't be turning Americans against Americans and that has been the MO of the republican party since people objected to Bush proclaiming, "You're either withus or with the terrorists." Republicans, since that day, have sought to do one thing and one thing only: link anyone who isn't a republican to terrorism and an "appeaser of our enemies."

    Shame on all of you for exploiting our country's time of need.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  2. #29
    Round of 12
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    485

    Default Re: The Freedom Files Continue to Grow!

    Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    As we know, liberals are killers. Have you seen the numbers of people that the Clintons have killed (even though they aren't liberals, but, they ARE, democrats, and they're all the same, aren't they?)?

    The problem I see here is that we shouldn't be turning Americans against Americans and that has been the MO of the republican party since people objected to Bush proclaiming, "You're either withus or with the terrorists." Republicans, since that day, have sought to do one thing and one thing only: link anyone who isn't a republican to terrorism and an "appeaser of our enemies."

    Shame on all of you for exploiting our country's time of need.
    You have an extraordinary capacity to read almost anything you wish into a sentence. However, I think you could take your comments and and reverse them because many feel that liberals do the same things (if you aren't opposed to everything we are opposed to or for everything we are for you are anti-American). Shame on YOU for suggesting that it always has to be us against them. I actually don't see it that way. I pointed out factually that Chamberlain, in his efforts to appease Hitler, actually may have led to the war he thought he was going to avoid.

    This thread began with you pointing out the violations of personal freedoms by the Republicans. I said it goes both ways because Obama was quick to try to shut up Imus. I didn't agree with Imus but the door of free speech swings both ways, doesn't it?? Here is a great opportunity to validate that libs and conservatives can agree on something. Well??? It either does or it doesn't.

  3. #30

    Default Re: The Freedom Files Continue to Grow!

    Quote Originally Posted by Throwby View Post
    You have an extraordinary capacity to read almost anything you wish into a sentence. However, I think you could take your comments and and reverse them because many feel that liberals do the same things (if you aren't opposed to everything we are opposed to or for everything we are for you are anti-American). Shame on YOU for suggesting that it always has to be us against them. I actually don't see it that way. I pointed out factually that Chamberlain, in his efforts to appease Hitler, actually may have led to the war he thought he was going to avoid.

    This thread began with you pointing out the violations of personal freedoms by the Republicans. I said it goes both ways because Obama was quick to try to shut up Imus. I didn't agree with Imus but the door of free speech swings both ways, doesn't it?? Here is a great opportunity to validate that libs and conservatives can agree on something. Well??? It either does or it doesn't.
    And I pointed out that no one silenced Imus. I would be the first to scream "foul" if he was silenced. He was fired, as his bosses feared the loss of advertising dollars. Imus, himself, spoke the words. Nowhere in that equation will you find Obama or a liberal responsible.

    And, this, "Islamofascists love people like ban," is what propmted my response about piting Americans against Americans, pure and simple.

    In both instances that I discussed in this post, it shows us that it's all about taking personal responsibility for one's actions.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  4. #31
    Round of 12
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    485

    Default Re: The Freedom Files Continue to Grow!

    ban - Obama called for him to be fired. He could have just let nature take it's course. So we agree that free speech is for all and that anyone who tries to shut someone up who is appropriately expressing their freedom to speak is out of line.

  5. #32

    Default Re: The Freedom Files Continue to Grow!

    Quote Originally Posted by Throwby View Post
    ban - Obama called for him to be fired. He could have just let nature take it's course. So we agree that free speech is for all and that anyone who tries to shut someone up who is appropriately expressing their freedom to speak is out of line.
    With this, "appropriately expressing their freedom to speak,"being the key phrase, we may or may not agree. That's where ideology comes into play. I chose to highlight this phrase, as, for legal purposes only, free speech comes down to this phrase. I'm all for legal speech, with virtually no limits on legal speech. We all can think we know what that means, but courts determine that. On the whole, I think that they do a pretty good job in this regard.

    In Imus' case, yeah, it was handled in a way that I was comfortable with. Government was not involved, nor did citizens groups fire him. In essence, the advertisers fired Imus, as well as Imus firing Imus. Imus was the most overlooked person, oddly enough, in that whole debate. Without him, it wouldn't have happened.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  6. #33

    Default Re: The Freedom Files Continue to Grow!

    Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post

    In Imus' case, yeah, it was handled in a way that I was comfortable with. Government was not involved, nor did citizens groups fire him. In essence, the advertisers fired Imus, as well as Imus firing Imus. Imus was the most overlooked person, oddly enough, in that whole debate. Without him, it wouldn't have happened.
    Not entirely true ban

    NAACP SUPPORTS DISMISSAL OF DON IMUS, PUBLIC OUTCRY IS THE START OF LARGER MOVEMENT TO END USE OF RACIST, SEXIST SPEECH & IMAGES


    April 13, 2007
    The NAACP commends CBS and MSNBC for removing Don Imus from their networks and also recognizes that further action is needed to eradicate such hurtful speech from our popular culture

  7. #34
    Round of 12
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    485

    Default Re: The Freedom Files Continue to Grow!

    Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    With this, "appropriately expressing their freedom to speak,"being the key phrase, we may or may not agree. That's where ideology comes into play. I chose to highlight this phrase, as, for legal purposes only, free speech comes down to this phrase. I'm all for legal speech, with virtually no limits on legal speech. We all can think we know what that means, but courts determine that. On the whole, I think that they do a pretty good job in this regard.

    In Imus' case, yeah, it was handled in a way that I was comfortable with. Government was not involved, nor did citizens groups fire him. In essence, the advertisers fired Imus, as well as Imus firing Imus. Imus was the most overlooked person, oddly enough, in that whole debate. Without him, it wouldn't have happened.
    Having a pervert propositioning my children in graphic terms would be inappropriate as would someone exercising their freedom of speech by shouting down another individual who was invited as a speaker to an event. We could use a bit of decorum in expressing ourselves.

  8. #35

    Default Re: The Freedom Files Continue to Grow!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tight-Waist View Post
    Not entirely true ban

    NAACP SUPPORTS DISMISSAL OF DON IMUS, PUBLIC OUTCRY IS THE START OF LARGER MOVEMENT TO END USE OF RACIST, SEXIST SPEECH & IMAGES


    April 13, 2007
    The NAACP commends CBS and MSNBC for removing Don Imus from their networks and also recognizes that further action is needed to eradicate such hurtful speech from our popular culture
    When did the NAACP fire him? What did they do to bring about his firing? Approving of the firing is not the same as doing the firing.

    Imus and the advertisers fired Imus. Period.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  9. #36

    Default Re: The Freedom Files Continue to Grow!

    Quote Originally Posted by Throwby View Post
    Having a pervert propositioning my children in graphic terms would be inappropriate as would someone exercising their freedom of speech by shouting down another individual who was invited as a speaker to an event. We could use a bit of decorum in expressing ourselves.
    The former case is illegal speech, assuming that they are minors. The second case, heck, I would sure hope that we can shout down speakers that we disagree with! Isn't that kind of fundamental to debate in this country? I like the idea that when racist organizations picket and march that we can oppose them and counter their protest.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •