Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789
Results 73 to 78 of 78

Thread: I cant believe this.

  1. #73
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    It's a long way from East Colorado
    Posts
    3,740

    Default Re: I cant believe this.

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    One more thing Clone why is everything in your world subjective are there no absolutes? Sometimes you can clearly see who the best is. If you cant and you give certain criteria the person who meets the most criteria is the best according to the criteria. If that criteria changes then different people are the best at different times. The point it only matters what is happening now. We aren't trying to debate who the best firefighter of all time is. According to the city of New haven six years ago the way to promote the best firefighter was to give a test.
    It's not all subjective, and many things are certain in my world. My overriding point here is to complicate the picture, and not stand by placidly in the face of simple or single-minded explanations about the situation in New Haven.

  2. #74
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,934

    Default Re: I cant believe this.

    Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    It's not all subjective, and many things are certain in my world. My overriding point here is to complicate the picture, and not stand by placidly in the face of simple or single-minded explanations about the situation in New Haven.
    So you are saying you dont really have an opinion on the matter. You just wanted to complicate it? The picture is not complicated to me because I am dealing with this specific instance not every other one. Sometimes you take things one at a time, judge the case in its merit not anything else.

  3. #75
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    It's a long way from East Colorado
    Posts
    3,740

    Default Re: I cant believe this.

    My opinions are littered throughout this thread. It seems you're trying to force the question: did the city act properly by throwing out the test results or not? I don't have all the facts, and neither do you.

  4. #76
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,934

    Default Re: I cant believe this.

    You have enough facts to form an opinion. I know how you feel about title 7 and the civil rights aspect, I disagree. I am interested in if you feel the city acted properly.

  5. #77
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    It's a long way from East Colorado
    Posts
    3,740

    Default Re: I cant believe this.

    Someone's summary of the case:

    http://topics.law.cornell.edu/supct/cert/07-1428

    This is the federal court's decision in favor of the city, which was upheld by the Circuit Court of Appeals.

    http://www.nysd.uscourts.gov/courtwe...C/06-03903.PDF

  6. #78
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,934

    Default Re: I cant believe this.

    I learned one thing from those links and it is important. The test only counted as 60% of the test the other 40% would have been an oral interview and there was a possibility that one black firefighter could have been promoted to Captain under the cities law. It seems that they did not go forward with the oral interviews. So we could have seen a black and two Hispanic captains if they had done the oral interviews. Since they (from what I read) did not give the second portion of the test they short changed those black firefighters who may have promoted. In the Lt promotion there were 8 slots and the ten high scorers where all white.

    I dont agree with the disparate impact. I think it is a cop out personally, I hope the supreme court rules against the appellate and federal court.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •