Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
Results 37 to 43 of 43

Thread: Role of Race in PA Primary

  1. #37

    Default Re: Role of Race in PA Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    I'm personally not talking about race, I'm talking about Wright being an ass. Thats a quality that I presumed wasn't limited to certain races.
    VERY VERY TRUE!!

  2. #38

    Default Re: Role of Race in PA Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by Chance174 View Post
    VERY VERY TRUE!!
    http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Li...tml?mea=229108
    Sorry about the commercial before the clip.

    Sounds like they need to rewrite this to include Wright.
    "All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind." -- Abraham Lincoln

  3. #39
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parker, Az
    Posts
    3,388

    Default Re: Role of Race in PA Primary

    I'm not clear on what I "bought into". I've only commented on what Wright said previously. I was accused of taking things out of context, because I hadn't listened to an entire sermon by the Rev. Recently, Wright confirmed his beliefs in front of the media. Nothing was taken out of context. And now I'm the one who was taken for a sucker?

    Wright isn't running for President, Obama is. I could give a rats azz about Wright other than his very entertaining speech on Monday.... he is a whack job and a racist. But boy you sure did jump in with both feet when given the opportunity to consider Obama a closet racist because of his Pastor. Sorry, but it looks racist to me.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

  4. #40
    NCAA Champ ccbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    1,144

    Default Re: Role of Race in PA Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    To paraphrase Shakespeare, "The gentleman doth protest too much methinks".

    If I were prone to nurse little hurts, I could cite instances in my life were I was discriminated against by people of color--nothing serious like the loss of job or housing or education, but discrimination just the same. But my comments about racism are about the big picture.

    This idea that white people, who have held the power in this country since its inception, are somehow threatened now by discrimination by any person of color is a major joke. You're kidding me, right? You're quaking at the comments of Rev. Wright like my father and his generation quaked at the comments of Rev. King, Jr? Sure you are. Like I said before, these sorts of claims (e.g., reverse racism) allow us to deny our history. And we are much, much poorer for it.
    There are none so blind as those who will not see.

    Just as someone cannot be a little pregnant (a female is pregnant or not) a action is racist or is not.

    You keep saying that somehow it matters what race the victim is and what color the perpetrator is. By that standard you are saying we are not all equal as human beings. My point is we are all equal and none of us should ever have to endure any form of racial discrimination.

    Racism varies from generation to generation and country to country. The Irish have faced hundreds of years of racial discrimination. Is the discrimination faced by the Irish less valid because they shared the same skin color as their oppressors?

    It is immoral to steal? Is it okay to steal if it is stealing from the rich? Is it okay to steal from someone who cannot fight back or only from those who can fight back? Most people would say stealing in any form is wrong. Using this same example I say any form of racism is wrong because racism is stealing a person's humanity.
    If we don't fight hard enough for the things we stand for, at some point we have to recognize that we don't really stand for them.

    ~Paul Wellstone~

  5. #41

    Default Re: Role of Race in PA Primary

    Wright isn't running for President, Obama is. I could give a rats azz about Wright other than his very entertaining speech on Monday.... he is a whack job and a racist. But boy you sure did jump in with both feet when given the opportunity to consider Obama a closet racist because of his Pastor. Sorry, but it looks racist to me.

    That may be the most confusing post I've ever read from you. Do you believe Wright to be a whack job and a racist? I doubt it.

    I don't consider Obama a racist because of his pastor. I've said from day one that Wright is a whack job, racist, and anti-American. I questioned why Obama, while running for POTUS, didn't disassociate himself from Wright. To me, Obama was showing either an incredible lack of judgement, or incredible hubris.

    What happened at that point? I was accused of taking Wright's statements out of context, then accused of being an Obama hater, then accused of being a racist, then accused of only making strawman arguments, and now accused of calling Obama a racist. Y'all need to make up your mind, and try to prove at least one of those points before moving on to the next one.

    You guys should just get it all out of your system now, and call every white person (other than yourselves) a racist. Consider it a first step in your rehab program.

  6. #42
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    It's a long way from East Colorado
    Posts
    3,740

    Default Re: Role of Race in PA Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by ccbig View Post
    You keep saying that somehow it matters what race the victim is and what color the perpetrator is. By that standard you are saying we are not all equal as human beings.
    No, you misrepresent my position. I'm saying, at our core, we are equal as human beings. In practice, however, there is not equality.

    Quote Originally Posted by ccbig
    My point is we are all equal and none of us should ever have to endure any form of racial discrimination.
    I agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by ccbig
    Racism varies from generation to generation and country to country. The Irish have faced hundreds of years of racial discrimination. Is the discrimination faced by the Irish less valid because they shared the same skin color as their oppressors?
    The Irish was who I was thinking of when I said white immigrants faced immigration.

    Quote Originally Posted by ccbig
    I say any form of racism is wrong because racism is stealing a person's humanity.
    Again, I agree. But apparently we are arguing about different things. You are referring to an abstract standard. I'm talking about how race plays out in America. People of color (including the Indians) have faced the worst discrimination for the last 400 years. To assert, as you seem to, that we're all now on a level playing field playing by the same rules is nonsense. It's the same old story, white people haven't been playing fair as long as the eye can see, and now all of a sudden they demand that people of color be scrupulously fair, and if they aren't, that's the worst possible crime in America.

    When people of color do wrong do wrong or say wrong, they should be punished or admonished or criticized. But don't tell me "reverse racism" is a major problem in America.

  7. #43

    Default Re: Role of Race in PA Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    If Wright made this claim, to a black church audience, with the knowledge that it was unsupported, he could be wrong, or he could be exaggerating. It doesn't necessarily make him hateful (one would need further context of his speech to support that claim).
    As a matter of fact it would.

    There is only one reason to tell such outrageous lies... that is to inspire and inflame hatreds.

    It is just like the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. It was a bunch of lies made up to defend anti-semitism.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •