Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 19 to 27 of 43

Thread: Role of Race in PA Primary

  1. #19

    Default Re: Role of Race in PA Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    With respect to this particular issue, you're always long on conclusions and short on arguments.
    With Wright's recent VERY PUBLIC affirmations of the controversial statements in his sermons what other arguments are needed?

    I'm just kind of curious.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

    "If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

  2. #20

    Default Re: Role of Race in PA Primary

    Personally I think the hysteria from both sides over the Wright issue is ridiculous.

    Should Obama get elected will he ship all the AIDS inventing white people off to concentration camps or just kill them as some people apparently think should be believed?

    Probably not.

    Is anyone who speaks even the least bit negatively about Wright's remarks or claims to have been offended by them an evil, racist, talk radio listener?

    Once again, probably not.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

    "If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

  3. #21
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    It's a long way from East Colorado
    Posts
    3,740

    Default Re: Role of Race in PA Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    With Wright's recent VERY PUBLIC affirmations of the controversial statements in his sermons what other arguments are needed?

    I'm just kind of curious.
    Well, we'd have to have a discussion of you find controversial. Some of us have tried to do so. Others have merely asserted that Wright is wrong, badly wrong, evil and so forth--with little or no supporting arguments. I, for one, don't accept the charge that he is racist, hateful, or anti-American, and I hope I have offered some reasons on this thread for this.

    Your question: "what other arguments are needed" assumes arguments were made. Flop, for the most part, has not made any arguments. That's the problem. He could be totally right in his denouncement of Wright, but you wouldn't know it from this thread. Contrast sgallan's last statement, in which he offers an argument in one sentence (Here's what I think, and here's why), and Flop's latest statement in which he offers no arguments, only conclusions.

  4. #22
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    It's a long way from East Colorado
    Posts
    3,740

    Default Re: Role of Race in PA Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Personally I think the hysteria from both sides over the Wright issue is ridiculous.
    One might ask why there is hysteria over this issue. Sgallan gave us a sensible answer: division for political purposes.

    Quote Originally Posted by jensenS
    Is anyone who speaks even the least bit negatively about Wright's remarks or claims to have been offended by them an evil, racist, talk radio listener?

    Once again, probably not.
    This is a favorite argument of Flop's, and you hear it all the time: "Is anyone...who says such...evil?" It's a strawman. The number of false arguments made on this sort of reasoning are unlimited.

    If I were to make a really stupid claim like a certain banned poster here did: that Cael retired because he didn't want to face the competition--and you, in turn, made arguments disputing this claim and suggested I was trolling, I might say, using the "anyone" strawman defense: "Is anyone who criticizes Cael a troll?"
    Last edited by matclone; 04-30-2008 at 11:51 AM.

  5. #23

    Default Re: Role of Race in PA Primary

    The problem with Ban and Matclone is, I honestly believe that they think only a "White Man" can be racist. That is simply not the case. Go around the world and you will see racism everywhere!! Each race is capable of being racist and there are people in each race that ARE Racist.

    I am sick and tired of hearing people called a racist if they speak out against a black or Hispanic politician or if they are against ILLIGAL immigration. The majority of the time it is total bull shit.

    I personally don’t care if Obama is black, white, purple or Green. But god forbid if I disagree with those he associates with and disagree with his policies. Good thing Bush and Clinton were White or else I would have definitely been called a Racist.

    If I am told to move on “White Boy”, “Honkey”, or “Cracker”. Is that not racist?

  6. #24

    Default Re: Role of Race in PA Primary

    Whatever I guess. I personally think Wright, and John Hagee (McCain's whatever) are both hateful assholes, and would love it if either candidate had nothing to do with their "guy".

    I don't know what that makes me, but those who like to label can get down with their bad selves and let me know.

    In terms of one of Wright's comments, I'll just talk about his recent repeated assertion that the government invented AIDS to use as a biological weapon to exterminate black people.

    I mean, this is what he said. What about the white people who died of AIDS? Were they just mistakes in this governmental conspiracy to kill black people?

    Our government in the past, and in the present still in some instances has done black people dirty enough that there is no need whatsoever for Wright to be saying this.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

    "If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

  7. #25

    Default Re: Role of Race in PA Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by Tight-Waist View Post
    It's ok to oppose racism; I've committed my life to it. I can only speak for "my own kind" (white people) and what we can do to change our world. I'll leave the finger pointing at others to themselves to figure out.

    Priceless! Absolutely PRICELESS!
    Another case where you didn't get my post? Translation: I'll let minority communities point out their problems, rather than have me point them out for them. I can only speak for whites.

    Still "priceless?"
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  8. #26

    Default Re: Role of Race in PA Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by Chance174 View Post
    The problem with Ban and Matclone is, I honestly believe that they think only a "White Man" can be racist. That is simply not the case. Go around the world and you will see racism everywhere!! Each race is capable of being racist and there are people in each race that ARE Racist.

    I am sick and tired of hearing people called a racist if they speak out against a black or Hispanic politician or if they are against ILLIGAL immigration. The majority of the time it is total bull shit.

    I personally don?t care if Obama is black, white, purple or Green. But god forbid if I disagree with those he associates with and disagree with his policies. Good thing Bush and Clinton were White or else I would have definitely been called a Racist.

    If I am told to move on ?White Boy?, ?Honkey?, or ?Cracker?. Is that not racist?
    Racism is a viewpoint, belief system, or action. Of course anyone is capable of being racist.

    However, all that I've ever said, and will continue to say, is the difference in impact of the two types of racism. One has a system that backs it, while another dies instantly.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  9. #27
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    It's a long way from East Colorado
    Posts
    3,740

    Default Re: Role of Race in PA Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Whatever I guess. I personally think Wright, and John Hagee (McCain's whatever) are both hateful assholes, and would love it if either candidate had nothing to do with their "guy".

    I don't know what that makes me, but those who like to label can get down with their bad selves and let me know.
    But no one labeled you anything. Those who want us to focus on the issue that someone was called a racist are often trying to divert our attention from the issues that matter, which may include their own indefensible statements.

    Quote Originally Posted by jensenS
    In terms of one of Wright's comments, I'll just talk about his recent repeated assertion that the government invented AIDS to use as a biological weapon to exterminate black people.

    I mean, this is what he said. What about the white people who died of AIDS? Were they just mistakes in this governmental conspiracy to kill black people?

    Our government in the past, and in the present still in some instances has done black people dirty enough that there is no need whatsoever for Wright to be saying this.
    I believe the argumentative theme of his sermon was that government's can do wrong. In the context at the time he gave the sermon, he was arguing it was wrong (against Biblical principles) to invade Iraq. I believe it's a fact that blacks and Indians, in the 20th century--perhaps in my life time--were sterilized without their knowledge and given syphillis--ostensibly for scientific purposes. It's not outside the realm of possibility that AIDs could be used as a tool against blacks given this history. On the other hand, that claim could be totally without basis. Let's assume for the moment that it is. If Wright made this claim, to a black church audience, with the knowledge that it was unsupported, he could be wrong, or he could be exaggerating. It doesn't necessarily make him hateful (one would need further context of his speech to support that claim).
    Last edited by matclone; 04-30-2008 at 12:35 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •