Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 10 to 18 of 42

Thread: Waterboarding... Could you last 15 seconds?

  1. #10

    Default Re: Waterboarding... Could you last 15 seconds?



    Finally, Youtube is blocked at my work but not Playboy.TV. How does that make sense? I started watching the video at work and then decided I did not want any content from Playboy streaming to work computer.

    It's hosted by Brightcove, so it shouldn't set off any "playboy" triggers.

  2. #11
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,962

    Default Re: Waterboarding... Could you last 15 seconds?

    Quote Originally Posted by Schlottke View Post


    Finally, Youtube is blocked at my work but not Playboy.TV. How does that make sense? I started watching the video at work and then decided I did not want any content from Playboy streaming to work computer.

    It's hosted by Brightcove, so it shouldn't set off any "playboy" triggers.
    OK, then from now on, non-stop Playboy channel at work for me

  3. #12

    Default Re: Waterboarding... Could you last 15 seconds?

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    OK, then from now on, non-stop Playboy channel at work for me
    If that is the case I only have one question...is your company hiring?..lol

  4. #13

    Default Re: Waterboarding... Could you last 15 seconds?

    Quote Originally Posted by rustyshackleford View Post
    I am sure all countries have resorted to torture at some point (whether right or wrong,) but for a president to publicly endorse it, is to ensure that it happens to our soldiers when captured. If they were going to do it to you, why not do it to them? Also, information coming from torture victims is notoriously unreliable. People will say anything you want if you threaten to kill them.
    so when someone like Osama Bin Laden called for jihad or whatever else against america, wouldnt that ensure that american soldiers are gonna get it as well? hell even journalists like Daniel Pearl werent safe, in those pics of him before the beheading, he looked pretty beat up
    but even if Obama denounces it and prosecutes certain individuals, its not like torture will completely stop
    Like Billy Jacks' soul attack, I'm one Injun you wont forget.

    www.euromitsu.com

  5. #14

    Default Re: Waterboarding... Could you last 15 seconds?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pimach View Post
    so when someone like Osama Bin Laden called for jihad or whatever else against america, wouldnt that ensure that american soldiers are gonna get it as well? hell even journalists like Daniel Pearl werent safe, in those pics of him before the beheading, he looked pretty beat up
    but even if Obama denounces it and prosecutes certain individuals, its not like torture will completely stop
    So, we should stoop to their level just because they do it? Its hard to maintain the high moral ground that we like to with that kind of attitude. Maybe we should hijack planes and fly them in to buildings, and send suicide bombers into their cities? Hell, they do it, why shouldn't we? Also, Osama and Al Qaeda aren't an actual government. They're a terrorist group. Of course terrorists do horrible shit, but that doesn't mean we should also. If we start to adopt their tactics the line between us and them starts to become blurred. The U.S. endorsing torture would be akin the the Iraqi government (or any other national government) condoning torture of U.S. troops, not a rogue terrorist group. Of course torture will never completely stop, but that doesn't mean that is should be condoned (or that it works, which it doesn't.) Rape will never be completely stopped either. That doesn't make it right.

  6. #15

    Default Re: Waterboarding... Could you last 15 seconds?

    I've commented on this subject before and I'll continue to do so.

    I went through SERE (Survival Evasion Resistance Escape) school in the early 90's. I went through various "enhanced interrogation techniques". I would not define waterboarding and other techniques are "torture", but I do believe the US should not be using these techniques. There are other ways to get informations from enemy combatants without resorting to inhumane techniques.

    That said, anyone who believes we need to "go after Bush and his administration and prosecute them to the full extent" for the memo Obama released last week is foolish. Waterboarding is not a new technique the US learned in 2000 when Bush was elected. Furthermore, there were other "enhanced interrogation techniques" I witnessed/experienced that many would consider worse than waterboarding (although waterboarding scares the shite out of me).
    Last edited by ArmyFan; 04-21-2009 at 05:08 PM.

  7. #16

    Default Re: Waterboarding... Could you last 15 seconds?

    Quote Originally Posted by rustyshackleford View Post
    So, we should stoop to their level just because they do it? Its hard to maintain the high moral ground that we like to with that kind of attitude. Maybe we should hijack planes and fly them in to buildings, and send suicide bombers into their cities? Hell, they do it, why shouldn't we? Also, Osama and Al Qaeda aren't an actual government. They're a terrorist group. Of course terrorists do horrible shit, but that doesn't mean we should also. If we start to adopt their tactics the line between us and them starts to become blurred. The U.S. endorsing torture would be akin the the Iraqi government (or any other national government) condoning torture of U.S. troops, not a rogue terrorist group. Of course torture will never completely stop, but that doesn't mean that is should be condoned (or that it works, which it doesn't.) Rape will never be completely stopped either. That doesn't make it right.
    its not really a "stoop to their level" type of issue, the fact is that this country has engaged in torture and probably has for a long time, while we arent a terrorist group like al qaeda, I see nothing wrong with torturing some dudes, Im sure its led to tips and maybe a lot of it is inaccurate, but let that be a lesson to some other fu*k who wants to fly a plane into a building or drive a car bomb into our troops, in fact I am willing to bet that Obama is only coming down on it to shut people up about it for now.
    Like Billy Jacks' soul attack, I'm one Injun you wont forget.

    www.euromitsu.com

  8. #17

    Default Re: Waterboarding... Could you last 15 seconds?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pimach View Post
    its not really a "stoop to their level" type of issue, the fact is that this country has engaged in torture and probably has for a long time, while we arent a terrorist group like al qaeda, I see nothing wrong with torturing some dudes, Im sure its led to tips and maybe a lot of it is inaccurate, but let that be a lesson to some other fu*k who wants to fly a plane into a building or drive a car bomb into our troops, in fact I am willing to bet that Obama is only coming down on it to shut people up about it for now.
    That's pure speculation on Obama, and I believe he has came out against this during the campaign, so I don't think he is just saying it now. Are you okay with our soldiers being tortured if taken hostage? Does it bother you that torture is both against the laws of our country, and international law? If not, does it bother you when other countries break international law, or is that a right that is ours and ours only?

  9. #18

    Default Re: Waterboarding... Could you last 15 seconds?

    Quote Originally Posted by rustyshackleford View Post
    That's pure speculation on Obama, and I believe he has came out against this during the campaign, so I don't think he is just saying it now. Are you okay with our soldiers being tortured if taken hostage? Does it bother you that torture is both against the laws of our country, and international law? If not, does it bother you when other countries break international law, or is that a right that is ours and ours only?
    youre correct, it is pure speculation about Obama, but he is a politician, he wanted to be elected and now that he is, wants to continue to please people.

    in regards to our soldiers being tortured, no , I dont want to see our guys tortured, but the fact is that they are out there fighting terrorists and things like that happen.

    this country is in a war, I expect there to be torture in all levels, so no it doesnt bother me that its against the law here or abroad.
    Like Billy Jacks' soul attack, I'm one Injun you wont forget.

    www.euromitsu.com

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •