Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 19 to 27 of 54

Thread: Should drug testing be required of welfare recipients?

  1. #19
    Olympic Champ r.payton@att.net's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Danville .Indiana
    Posts
    8,718

    Default Re: Should drug testing be required of welfare recipients?

    No-most of these sad individuals are on wefare and food stamps because they can't pass an illegal test to get a job .
    If we test these people we should test the people who pick up a paycheck ,too-as well as our armed forces and all civil servants .
    In Indiana a single person gets $147.00 a month for food and you would debase these individuals more ?

  2. #20
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    It's a long way from East Colorado
    Posts
    3,740

    Default Re: Should drug testing be required of welfare recipients?

    Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    No-most of these sad individuals are on wefare and food stamps because they can't pass an illegal test to get a job .
    If we test these people we should test the people who pick up a paycheck ,too-as well as our armed forces and all civil servants .
    In Indiana a single person gets $147.00 a month for food and you would debase these individuals more ?
    Right on. I'll say what I said before in a different way: drug testing does not further the aims of the programs at issue. As for that $147 a month, I lie awake some nights at the thought that someone somewhere, contrary to my wishes, might be using it to buy some pot or beer to go along with the food they need.

  3. #21
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    It's a long way from East Colorado
    Posts
    3,740

    Default Re: Should drug testing be required of welfare recipients?

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    Why is it you seem to want to keep people on welfare and dont think they can get off of it?
    I said nothing of the sort. Why do you misrepresent my view in order to make your argument?

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    People can work and achieve, not to the same level as others but enough to do it on there own without the government.
    If that were true, there would be no need for that thing you call welfare. Obviously there is a need.

  4. #22

    Default Re: Should drug testing be required of welfare recipients?

    Quote Originally Posted by sgallan View Post
    Does your idea include alcohol? Or doesn't that count (even though it is the worst offender by far) because it is "legal"?
    That is difficult. I know that alcohol is just as bad of a problem but it is legal. I have a hard time with the government denying people benefits when they are not doing illegal. If you are going to ban alcohol then what about other time wasting addictions? Where do you draw the line? It is easy to draw the line at illegal substances.
    I guess that I wouldn't have a problem requiring people to pick up their checks IN PERSON and have to take a breathalyser test. If you are legally drunk you don't get your check.

    Quote Originally Posted by ccbig View Post
    Absolutely NO.

    This is a prime example of a invasion of privacy and a unwarranted search.

    If the goal is to help poor people be free of drugs then a better solution would be to offer free drug counseling and treatment programs.
    At my last job I had to take a drug test before I was officially hired and then I had to sign a contract saying that I was willing to take a drug test at any time. I am all for offering free drug counseling as well. If you are applying for assistance--or asking for it--then you would also be volunteering to be "searched"

    Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    No-most of these sad individuals are on wefare and food stamps because they can't pass an illegal test to get a job .
    If we test these people we should test the people who pick up a paycheck ,too-as well as our armed forces and all civil servants .
    In Indiana a single person gets $147.00 a month for food and you would debase these individuals more ?
    I believe that the people that receive paychecks can be tested at random can't they? I also don't think that requiring someone to be clean is that much of a stretch. If they really are on welfare and food stamps because they can't pass an illegal test to get a job then wouldn't forcing them to get clean help them improve their own situation?

    If we keep enabling them then what their motivation to ever get clean?

  5. #23

    Default Re: Should drug testing be required of welfare recipients?

    Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    I said nothing of the sort. Why do you misrepresent my view in order to make your argument?



    If that were true, there would be no need for that thing you call welfare. Obviously there is a need.
    So then my neighbor who is perfectly capable of going out and hunting all day and hiking up and down a river bank to fish but, still receives welfare and food stamps isn't capable of getting another job?

  6. #24
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    It's a long way from East Colorado
    Posts
    3,740

    Default Re: Should drug testing be required of welfare recipients?

    One of the big family secrets in America is that drug and alcohol abuse is widespread, including amongst productive working people. From a govt source a couple years ago, I saw data that about 9% of the people in my state (Colorado) admitted to illegal drug use. I'm sure the actual use is much higher. Alcohol abuse, of course, is way more pervasive. All of this imposes an enormous cost to the state as Anheuser-Busch and others expend enormous amounts of money try to convince us to do more, enabling us if you will.

  7. #25
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    It's a long way from East Colorado
    Posts
    3,740

    Default Re: Should drug testing be required of welfare recipients?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snackem View Post
    So then my neighbor who is perfectly capable of going out and hunting all day and hiking up and down a river bank to fish but, still receives welfare and food stamps isn't capable of getting another job?

    I have no idea what you're talking about.

  8. #26
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,934

    Default Re: Should drug testing be required of welfare recipients?

    Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    No-most of these sad individuals are on wefare and food stamps because they can't pass an illegal test to get a job .
    If we test these people we should test the people who pick up a paycheck ,too-as well as our armed forces and all civil servants .
    In Indiana a single person gets $147.00 a month for food and you would debase these individuals more ?

    Persons in the military are drug tested. As far as I know most agencies require a drug test upon hiring. Where I work drug tests at random.

    There would be no cost IMO attached to the test. I dont know why someone cant stay off drugs or alcohol if they want to receive government money. It is crazy to me to think that these people should not be held to some standard because they are down, at the moment.

    If my own kids were down and came to me for money because they could not pay rent, I would give it to them. If they spent any of that money on drugs or alcohol, anything besides the necessities I would not give them more money. I would pay the mortgage directly but they would not get cash. Because what they needed the money for was rent or food, not booze or drugs. It is accountability, we all need it.

  9. #27
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,934

    Default Re: Should drug testing be required of welfare recipients?

    Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    I said nothing of the sort. Why do you misrepresent my view in order to make your argument?



    If that were true, there would be no need for that thing you call welfare. Obviously there is a need.
    Clone I am not trying to misrepresent your views. I just get the feeling that you dont think people should want to do it on their own. I know there is a need for some government assistance for many people. Limiting the help or providing a differing type of help, like education or job training is better IMO. You seem to think that these people are down and the only way they can survive is if the government helps them forever and that they should accept that, and so should I. I dont accept it. We all cant be millionaires but we can do what we need to do to make it on our own.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •