Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
Results 19 to 27 of 231

Thread: Way to go Iowa!

  1. #19

    Default Re: Way to go Iowa!

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    It's not a question of the minority vs. the majority. It's a question of what's right and what's fair. The majority isn't always right. I have to go back to the issue of slavery as an example. While it may have been popular and the law of the land, it wasn't right and and was properly outlawed. Perhaps the issue of gay marriage isn't as clear cut as slavery, but it's still and issue where the popular majority doesn't necessarily have the right answer.
    Completely agreed. What rights of the (potential) majority are being lost by allowing gay marriage? How are their rights or freedoms being impinged on? They aren't. What if the majority wanted to ban interacial marriage? Where should the "rights of the majority" be stopped? When the impede on the rights and freedoms of others. It is up to the courts to decide when that is, not the voters, and in this case, they have answered.

  2. #20
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,968

    Default Re: Way to go Iowa!

    Quote Originally Posted by rustyshackleford View Post
    Completely agreed. What rights of the (potential) majority are being lost by allowing gay marriage? How are their rights or freedoms being impinged on? They aren't. What if the majority wanted to ban interacial marriage? Where should the "rights of the majority" be stopped? When the impede on the rights and freedoms of others. It is up to the courts to decide when that is, not the voters, and in this case, they have answered.
    Well put. I don't see this as legislating from the bench, but fulfilling the proper role of the court. I do not see any basic rights belonging to either the majority or the minority...they are civil rights that belong to everyone.

  3. #21
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,935

    Default Re: Way to go Iowa!

    What if the majority wanted prayer in school and the minority did not, who do you think would win? What if the majority wanted creationism taught as a class? What if a majority wanted to ban abortion?


    There are a lot of issues that straddle the fence both morally and constitutionally that usually come out on the side of the minority. It is not as if I want the minority silenced, our Government was formed in order to protect the minority from mobocracy. But that doesn't mean the the pendulum can not swing too far in favor of the minority.

  4. #22
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,935

    Default Re: Way to go Iowa!

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Well put. I don't see this as legislating from the bench, but fulfilling the proper role of the court. I do not see any basic rights belonging to either the majority or the minority...they are civil rights that belong to everyone.

    I dont see it as legislating from the bench either, unless other states are forced to recognise the marriages. The court is there to decide the constitutionality of laws but they can not create law.

  5. #23

    Default Re: Way to go Iowa!

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    What if the majority wanted prayer in school and the minority did not, who do you think would win? What if the majority wanted creationism taught as a class? What if a majority wanted to ban abortion?


    There are a lot of issues that straddle the fence both morally and constitutionally that usually come out on the side of the minority. It is not as if I want the minority silenced, our Government was formed in order to protect the minority from mobocracy. But that doesn't mean the the pendulum can not swing too far in favor of the minority.
    Those are all, as is this, individual cases that deserve (and get) special attention. None have anything to do at all with gay marriage. Other than trying to make the situation convoluted, I'm not sure what you're getting at. Earlier you hinted at the rights of the majority being violated. If this is still your argument, can you provide some sort of evidence for it?

  6. #24

    Default Re: Way to go Iowa!

    What if the majority wanted prayer in school and the minority did not, who do you think would win? What if the majority wanted creationism taught as a class? What if a majority wanted to ban abortion?
    What if the majority didn't know what the Constitution actually said or how case law has actually set precedent? Yeah, that's why we actually have JUDGES who were all lawyers who studied LAW BEFORE they became judges.....

    SO THEY COULD TELL THE PEOPLE WHO DON'T KNOW SQUAT THAT THEY ARE WRONG AND THEIR SO-CALLED "WANTS" ARE VIOLATING THE CONSTITUTION AS IT HAS BEEN INTERPRETED.

    You guys ever hear of the term "checks and balances"?????????

    It's a great little concept.

  7. #25
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,935

    Default Re: Way to go Iowa!

    Quote Originally Posted by rustyshackleford View Post
    Those are all, as is this, individual cases that deserve (and get) special attention. None have anything to do at all with gay marriage. Other than trying to make the situation convoluted, I'm not sure what you're getting at. Earlier you hinted at the rights of the majority being violated. If this is still your argument, can you provide some sort of evidence for it?

    The abolition of prayer in public school cam from a minority group saying that there constitutional rights were being violated because of prayer.

  8. #26
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,935

    Default Re: Way to go Iowa!

    Quote Originally Posted by Black-n-Red View Post
    What if the majority didn't know what the Constitution actually said or how case law has actually set precedent? Yeah, that's why we actually have JUDGES who were all lawyers who studied LAW BEFORE they became judges.....

    SO THEY COULD TELL THE PEOPLE WHO DON'T KNOW SQUAT THAT THEY ARE WRONG AND THEIR SO-CALLED "WANTS" ARE VIOLATING THE CONSTITUTION AS IT HAS BEEN INTERPRETED.

    You guys ever hear of the term "checks and balances"?????????

    It's a great little concept.

    What are you saying. I have read a few of your posts and you are all over the place. What are you talking about? Could you give some examples?

  9. #27

    Default Re: Way to go Iowa!

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    The abolition of prayer in public school cam from a minority group saying that there constitutional rights were being violated because of prayer.
    Are you completely abandoning talking about the issue at hand? Do you actually have an argument about why same sex marriage should be illegal? Honestly, at this point it sure doesn't seem like it.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •