Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 55 to 63 of 67

Thread: Atheists signs blocked in NY

  1. #55
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,935

    Default Re: Atheists signs blocked in NY

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    My reply was how I'd like it to be, not how things are. This is not an easy question because freedom of speech often trumps good taste, and advertising media like public transit may only care about the dollars and not the content. Extreme cases like an ad for the KKK would probably be nixed, but "Accept Jesus As Your Savior" or "God Is a Myth Just Like Santa Claus" might get by.
    Right.

  2. #56
    Olympic Champ r.payton@att.net's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Danville .Indiana
    Posts
    8,718

    Default Re: Atheists signs blocked in NY

    Spider,
    When Birth of a Nation came out the president said it was a classic for the ages . Just citing this since you mentioned the KKK-personally, any religion involving Original Sin (especially when the bible says go forth and multiply ) is contradictory .
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

  3. #57
    NCAA Champ WhippetGrappler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Moved to Suffolk, VA
    Posts
    1,281

    Default Re: Atheists signs blocked in NY

    Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    Spider,
    When Birth of a Nation came out the president said it was a classic for the ages . Just citing this since you mentioned the KKK-personally, any religion involving Original Sin (especially when the bible says go forth and multiply ) is contradictory .
    Russ,
    I think Original Sin is a doctrine of Catholicism. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
    BRUTUS BUCKEYE WILL TAKE YOU DOWN...

  4. #58
    Olympic Champ r.payton@att.net's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Danville .Indiana
    Posts
    8,718

    Default Re: Atheists signs blocked in NY

    I know if a Catholic baby is on his way to be baptized and dies in a car wreck he will NEVER be allowed into heaven ? WTH is that ?
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

  5. #59

    Default Re: Atheists signs blocked in NY

    Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    I know if a Catholic baby is on his way to be baptized and dies in a car wreck he will NEVER be allowed into heaven ? WTH is that ?
    Not sure if that is what Catholics believe or not because I'm not Catholic. But, I do know that it isn't up to a priest or even the Pope to decide who gets in. Only God decides that one. So if anyone tells you that they know for sure who gets in and who doesn't, they are fibbing. They can only tell you what they believe.

  6. #60

    Default Re: Atheists signs blocked in NY

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    I will take it a step further. If you believe that no public property should be used to observe a religious holiday or to promote one then I would say that public employees should not receive paid or unpaid vacation for those religious holiday's. They should be made to work, just like any other day.
    That's actually a good idea. But the sad thing is that it wouldn't be Christians doing most of the complaining, it would be the unions. And we all know that unions trump everything.

  7. #61

    Default Re: Atheists signs blocked in NY

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    I think he would have to appear before me...
    Maybe in terms that make sense to you, it would take the same amount of proof for me to believe in God that it would take you to drop your Christian beliefs and switch to say Hinduism.
    I see what you're saying. But, the real question is....would you accept that it was him if he were standing in front of you? You say that you would, a lot of people say that. But would you really? Or would you go a step further and then demand a miracle to further prove it? And then would you believe the miracle or claim it was some sort of magic trick and demand another?

    That's the type of stuff that I wonder when people say that they would have to see him appear before them. At what point do people finally have faith? I think that is what has be the crux of his existence since the beginning of time. And I'm sure many before you and many after you will say the appearance would convince them. But just like when Jesus actually was down here and performing miracles, people still didn't believe. In fact, they killed him. Again, not trying to convince or convert you, just wondering if you would ask for more if he did appear.

  8. #62
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,968

    Default Re: Atheists signs blocked in NY

    Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    I see what you're saying. But, the real question is....would you accept that it was him if he were standing in front of you? You say that you would, a lot of people say that. But would you really? Or would you go a step further and then demand a miracle to further prove it? And then would you believe the miracle or claim it was some sort of magic trick and demand another?

    That's the type of stuff that I wonder when people say that they would have to see him appear before them. At what point do people finally have faith? I think that is what has be the crux of his existence since the beginning of time. And I'm sure many before you and many after you will say the appearance would convince them. But just like when Jesus actually was down here and performing miracles, people still didn't believe. In fact, they killed him. Again, not trying to convince or convert you, just wondering if you would ask for more if he did appear.
    IF someone appeared before me and declared that his named was Jesus and that he was the son of God, I certainly more need a little more than that to convince me, not sure that even if that very person did something miraculous I would be convinve since I have seen some very cool magic tricks that I can't even begin to imagine how they are done.
    But I would guess if God is truly ominpotent he woul know what level of evidence is necessary to convince me.

    So same quesion back at you... What type of evidence would it take you to convert to Hinduism.

  9. #63
    Olympic Champ kr1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida, United States
    Posts
    7,028

    Default Re: Atheists signs blocked in NY

    I think that that evidence always has to come from within not without....

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •