Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 9 of 13

Thread: Fixed news?

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default Fixed news?

    Well this is very interesting. I knew MSNBC was in the tank for Obama, but I didn't know it ran this deep. Got to give this guy a lot of credit for going public.

    ‪Host Says Head Of MSNBC Removed Him Because Washington Didn't Like His Tone‬‏ - YouTube

  2. #2

    Default Re: Fixed news?

    Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    I knew MSNBC was in the tank for Obama, but I didn't know it ran this deep.
    Can you clarify what you mean? Uygur is to the left of Obama or the "Washington establishment" - so especially considering he's prime time and thus supposed to be opinion, this seems to point toward MSNBC not being as black-and-white ultraliberal as it's perceived. The fact that mainstream news organizations are insiders right along with the politicians they cover and don't let outsiders in is certainly true, and this is an interesting account. But in my opinion that detracts from the narrative that MSNBC and most network news are extremely liberal. In other words, the liberal-conservative spectrum is a false dichotomy when every news organization is in the pocket of "Washington insiders", big business, etc and care far more about the bottom line and being in tune with politician's expectations than effective journalism.

  3. #3
    National Finalist leglace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tampa Florida
    Posts
    989

    Default Re: Fixed news?

    Quote Originally Posted by bwh27 View Post
    Can you clarify what you mean? Uygur is to the left of Obama or the "Washington establishment" - so especially considering he's prime time and thus supposed to be opinion, this seems to point toward MSNBC not being as black-and-white ultraliberal as it's perceived. The fact that mainstream news organizations are insiders right along with the politicians they cover and don't let outsiders in is certainly true, and this is an interesting account. But in my opinion that detracts from the narrative that MSNBC and most network news are extremely liberal. In other words, the liberal-conservative spectrum is a false dichotomy when every news organization is in the pocket of "Washington insiders", big business, etc and care far more about the bottom line and being in tune with politician's expectations than effective journalism.

    Your entire paragraph is only stating that its normal for the Whitehouse to hold lists. We already knew this from the leaks that the admin made requests about shutting out Fox news. But where does this clear MSNBC for not upholding "journalistic values" and sticking up for their guy.
    I pictured you as that guy Gaylord in Showboat, passing up taxis to walk because he's broke and playing it off as if it's the doctor's advice. - Clmetal

  4. #4

    Default Re: Fixed news?

    Quote Originally Posted by leglace View Post
    Your entire paragraph is only stating that its normal for the Whitehouse to hold lists.
    Typical of a conspiracy theorist to have only derived that from my whole paragraph. My paragraph only states that it's normal for the White House to hold lists? Really? What a ridiculously dismissive and unhelpful response. I detest the mainstream media, I was just trying to clarify what Quinn was getting at given his past posts on FOX vs MSNBC. Cenk Uygur was surprised that MSNBC did this to such an extent, but I still don't understand how people on this message board are remotely surprised that this is how the media business works especially for network news. I have family members who have worked in journalism on a national level, so I know first-hand what it's like.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Fixed news?

    Well, the dude got fired because Washington wasn't happy with him. If MSNBC had balls they would have kept him on and told Washington to deal with it. Since they didn't, it seems that they are ran by Washington. They have always claimed that they were the real news and Fox is fixed news. This appears to prove them wrong.

  6. #6
    Olympic Champ RYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    8,376

    Default Re: Fixed news?

    Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Well, the dude got fired because Washington wasn't happy with him. If MSNBC had balls they would have kept him on and told Washington to deal with it. Since they didn't, it seems that they are ran by Washington. They have always claimed that they were the real news and Fox is fixed news. This appears to prove them wrong.
    Would the fact they are replacing him Al Sharpton answer your question.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Fixed news?

    I have no idea how you interpreted me to be sticking up for MSNBC or "clearing" them, I'm highly critical of all mainstream networks and really don't enjoy any of their programs especially during primetime. You're both also assuming that the pressure came directly from the White House, but the unfortunate reality is that pressure comes from all sorts of Washington "insiders" such as lobbyists, sources of funding, congressmen, etc. All I was saying is that it seems to be inconsistent with Quinn's earlier contentions that MSNBC is just as liberal as Fox is conservative if they show zero flexibility with this outspoken liberal commentator who goes beyond the safe, expected analysis. I certainly reject the idea that MSNBC is "the real news," but I also don't find it plausible to conclude based on this incident that MSNBC is more fixed than FOX. The profound influence that Murdoch has over what their opinion people say and what they don't say is abundantly apparent. MSNBC is crap and undoubtedly in the pockets of Washington, but I guess I'm just not terribly surprised to hear that because that's the case for every news network - and in my opinion FOX is the most blatant and unapologetic about it. It's probably not valuable to even consider which case is worse between the two though, as the larger issue of increasingly business-oriented news networks makes it so that none of this mainstream programming is independent of Washington insider influence.

  8. #8
    Olympic Champ r.payton@att.net's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Danville .Indiana
    Posts
    8,718

    Default Re: Fixed news?

    Ryou-
    I don't watch much TV-so please tell me you are joking about REV. Al being hired anywhere .
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

  9. #9
    Olympic Champ kr1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida, United States
    Posts
    7,028

    Default Re: Fixed news?

    @Quinn
    Fixed News? Are you surprised? It is a script. There is really no left or right. There is only ONE side & you & I aren't on it...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •