Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Ban I apologize

  1. #1
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,934

    Default Ban I apologize

    Ban I have to say I was wrong about the corporate welfare and welfare in general. I watched a show called a nations of freeloaders on Fox news last night and they went after big businesses and the lobbying groups and after hearing some of the brash attitudes about the hand outs I have come over to your side of the issue. I say (and this is not tongue in cheek) that the government cuts off all types of welfare and handouts. No more handouts to corporations to produce green energy, if the market demands it then it will find funding somewhere. No more farm subsidies, they can just go ahead and compete like the rest of us. No more handouts to Indian tribes, who only abuse the system and have developed an unhealthy dependence on the welfare. Many tribes who get no money are thriving while those that do live in poverty. No more federal flood insurance, if you live in a flood area buy your own damn insurance. No more tax brakes for agricultural land, I dont think Bon Jovi should only be paying 200 in property tax in new jersey because he has bees on a couple hundred acre parcel of land. I am done. Nobody gets anything. Scientists will have to find private funding from now on. We are a nation of uninspired, selfish and self entitled people and we are failing.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Ban I apologize

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    We are a nation of uninspired, selfish and self entitled people and we are failing.
    I think that depends a lot upon where you look.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,934

    Default Re: Ban I apologize

    Quote Originally Posted by Schlottke View Post
    I think that depends a lot upon where you look.
    Very true, and I know I painted with a broad brush but I think the government needs to pay for government and nothing else. Everyone needs to learn to make it on their own. Its only if you at the very bottom or the very top that you benefit from hand outs, those of us in the middle just go about being who we are, trying to be responsible and keep a job so we can pay our own way and not live beyond our means. While those at the bottom feel it is my job to take care of them and those at the top believe they are entitled because they might have something I need.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Ban I apologize

    Dont forget people funding their own entertainment (PBS, Corp for Public Broadcasting),and art (Nat'l Endowment for the Arts).

  5. #5
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,962

    Default Re: Ban I apologize

    Ugly,
    I agree with most of your sentiments toward government handouts, especially when they are choosing winners in the corporate sphere.

    I feel there are certain roles that only government can do. Some of these are obvious such as natioanl defense, diaster relief, and building roads. There are others such as funding basic scientific research that I think are the proper role for the Federal Governemtn. Investments that benefit the whole country but do not have the payback necessary for private industry to fund.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,934

    Default Re: Ban I apologize

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Ugly,
    I agree with most of your sentiments toward government handouts, especially when they are choosing winners in the corporate sphere.

    I feel there are certain roles that only government can do. Some of these are obvious such as natioanl defense, diaster relief, and building roads. There are others such as funding basic scientific research that I think are the proper role for the Federal Governemtn. Investments that benefit the whole country but do not have the payback necessary for private industry to fund.
    I understand I and I am for defense because that is in the constitution, roads and other stuff becuase I dont think that is a hand out. Research is iffy for me, this whole green market is crazy, GE gets the most green subsidy in our nation and they make the most money of any corporation. Nobody realy wants green energy there is not a market for it, that is why the government is funding it. In the special I watched, a window maker who recieves a ton of green energy cash has a board member whos husband is in the energy dept of the white house, WTF.

    I say cut it all off incetivise people to work and companies to perform and inovate.

  7. #7
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: Ban I apologize

    UGLY, you do paint with a broad brush. If government were more efficient and less corrupt (Congress can't pass a worthwhile bill without including unrelated, tax consuming pork), programs like legitimately deserved welfare, medical research, etc. would be affordable and would elevate the quality of life for everyone. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, try to find a better way to wash the baby.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,934

    Default Re: Ban I apologize

    Spider I see your point but until then tough action needs to be taken.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Ban I apologize

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    UGLY, you do paint with a broad brush. If government were more efficient and less corrupt (Congress can't pass a worthwhile bill without including unrelated, tax consuming pork), programs like legitimately deserved welfare, medical research, etc. would be affordable and would elevate the quality of life for everyone. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, try to find a better way to wash the baby.
    Good point, but right now we are drowning the baby. It is time to let some water out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •