Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
Results 37 to 45 of 102

Thread: In defense of atheist billboards

  1. #37
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: In defense of atheist billboards

    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Not to drag people off topic, but what evidence do you have AGAINST the existence of God? I've heard several ARGUMENTS against God's existence, but not anything I would have considered evidence.
    For me (and I've posted this before) it's the "zebra" argument. You're hiking in an area known to be inhabited by wild horses and you see hoofprints on the ground. They were probably made by horses, but just maybe a zebra escaped from a traveling zoo. I look at the world and it makes much more sense to me that God is the zebra. Why posit an omniscient, supernatural being when you can explain things without one?

    I have explained why there will never be proof one way or another and won't go into it again here unless some masochist requests it.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  2. #38
    Olympic Champ kr1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida, United States
    Posts
    7,028

    Default Re: In defense of atheist billboards

    beat me...JUUUUST kiddin....

  3. #39

    Default Re: In defense of atheist billboards

    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Not to drag people off topic, but what evidence do you have AGAINST the existence of God? I've heard several ARGUMENTS against God's existence, but not anything I would have considered evidence.
    Zapp, people do not have to prove a negative, they have to prove a positive. What evidence do you have that God exist. Granted I do believe in God, albeit a vastly different one then you and most orthodox Christians believe in, but I have zero evidence of Its existence nor have I seen anyone ever claim to have evidence of Its existence.

  4. #40

    Default Re: In defense of atheist billboards

    Another article from a learned Christian expressing the mythology of the Christmas story:

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rita-n..._b_796301.html

    This Advent season, an atheist group put up a billboard at the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel that says "You know it's a myth -- this season, celebrate reason." The atheist appeal relies on the literal impossibility of a boy being conceived without a donor with a Y chromosome having been involved. At the other end of the tunnel, the Catholic League countered with their confidence in the story's truth, "You know it's real. This season celebrate Jesus."
    Actually, it is quite possible as a Christian to believe Jesus had a biological father and believe the story of the virgin conception says something important. It all depends on what you think "virgin" means. I think the most significant meaning of Mary's virginity is Christian resistance to the oppression of the Roman Empire.

  5. #41
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: In defense of atheist billboards

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    For me (and I've posted this before) it's the "zebra" argument. You're hiking in an area known to be inhabited by wild horses and you see hoofprints on the ground. They were probably made by horses, but just maybe a zebra escaped from a traveling zoo. I look at the world and it makes much more sense to me that God is the zebra. Why posit an omniscient, supernatural being when you can explain things without one?

    I have explained why there will never be proof one way or another and won't go into it again here unless some masochist requests it.
    Ahhh, ok, I was just confused by the phrasing. Nothing to see here, thanks for setting me straight on what you meant.

    Quote Originally Posted by coachsparky View Post
    Zapp, people do not have to prove a negative, they have to prove a positive. What evidence do you have that God exist. Granted I do believe in God, albeit a vastly different one then you and most orthodox Christians believe in, but I have zero evidence of Its existence nor have I seen anyone ever claim to have evidence of Its existence.
    I wasn't asking Spider to prove anything, he just said something and I asked him to clarify. I know Spider's a strong atheist, and I'm not here to change his ways. Go in peace, I say, to everyone who lives their life without hurting other people.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  6. #42

    Default Re: In defense of atheist billboards

    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Ahhh, ok, I was just confused by the phrasing. Nothing to see here, thanks for setting me straight on what you meant.



    I wasn't asking Spider to prove anything, he just said something and I asked him to clarify. I know Spider's a strong atheist, and I'm not here to change his ways. Go in peace, I say, to everyone who lives their life without hurting other people.
    Sorry to disagree with your assertion here Zapp, but you clearly asked him to provide evidence, ie prove the non-existence of God in this quote:

    Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan
    Not to drag people off topic, but what evidence do you have AGAINST the existence of God? I've heard several ARGUMENTS against God's existence, but not anything I would have considered evidence.
    As I said, there can never, and you need to understand this, any evidence for a negative assertion.

  7. #43
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,935

    Default Re: In defense of atheist billboards

    Quote Originally Posted by coachsparky View Post
    First off UGLY R.C. Symes is a Christian theologian undeniably. You have your source right there not need for me to give you the hundreds of others out there, as it is a majority view.

    They keep saying most because it is the truth. I am not missing any point whatsoever.
    I tried to look up Symes and I only found his work on that non-christian site, attempting to refute everything in the Bible. So he might be a theologian but he is not a Christian theologian.

    Second did you read the bold areas of the passage, because where they use most is in contradiction to your claim that liberal Christians out number conservative Christians 6-4. They say most believe in the trinity and that Jesus is the son of god and god.

    You supplied that lady I looked her up to but found nothing really except that she works with a church but the church doctrine contradicts her article.

    So again I ask you to quote a mainstream Christian who maintains that view. Joel Osteen perhaps or Rick Warren, Tolkien anyone.

  8. #44

    Default Re: In defense of atheist billboards

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    I tried to look up Symes and I only found his work on that non-christian site, attempting to refute everything in the Bible. So he might be a theologian but he is not a Christian theologian.

    Second did you read the bold areas of the passage, because where they use most is in contradiction to your claim that liberal Christians out number conservative Christians 6-4. They say most believe in the trinity and that Jesus is the son of god and god.

    You supplied that lady I looked her up to but found nothing really except that she works with a church but the church doctrine contradicts her article.

    So again I ask you to quote a mainstream Christian who maintains that view. Joel Osteen perhaps or Rick Warren, Tolkien anyone.
    Wrong UGLY, you are just claiming he is not Christian because he disagrees with you. He is clearly and undeniably Christian and identifies himself as such. When you say mainstream you mean conservative, they are in the minority so I ignore them. I prefer intelligent liberal people.

  9. #45
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: In defense of atheist billboards

    Quote Originally Posted by coachsparky View Post
    Sorry to disagree with your assertion here Zapp, but you clearly asked him to provide evidence, ie prove the non-existence of God in this quote:

    As I said, there can never, and you need to understand this, any evidence for a negative assertion.
    Sorry to disagree with you about what actually happened, but if you look at Spider's post that I, for your benefit, bolded, italicized, and underline the relevant section, you'll see that he said there was evidence, and what I asked him to clarify.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    If that was a joke, ha, ha.

    If it wasn't, I was raised Jewish and observed the religion well into my teens, but logic and observations got me doubting the validity of organized religion at a young age, and eventually, any religion. I am no more a Christian than I am a Buddhist, Muslim, Jew or anything else, but the same logic that led me to deny God's existence also tells me that I could be wrong and the believers could be right, overabundance of evidence to the contrary notwithstanding.
    It was his words. Then he clarified for me, and that was that.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •