Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
Results 37 to 45 of 141

Thread: You stay classy, American Atheists group

  1. #37

    Default Re: You stay classy, American Atheists group

    Quote Originally Posted by pm01 View Post
    It seems to me that there is a constant decay in common decency and selfishness anymore---and it's picking up speed.

    From the fanatical religious group protesting at the funeral of the KIA to this group posting the billboard. In my opinion the motive is to provoke shock and cause pain/trouble in others rather than to truly promote their beliefs. This path sickens me anymore.

    So where have all the flowers gone? Who cares I guess We no longer have trolls on message-boards but they have infiltrated our daily lives...no shock they are on billboards now too.
    You are wrong pm, the motive for the billboard is to let like minded people know they are out there and available to provide community and support. If I had not already found the UU group to support my mindset which demands the use of evidence, reason and scientific supportablility for all I believe, I may have responded by checking out their organization. That is all they are trying to do and the mamby pamby cry baby religionist need to get over it.

  2. #38

    Default Re: You stay classy, American Atheists group

    As I said in another post, I found it necessary when I was young to have to prove to people who had faith that they were foolish and illogical. Once I "grew up a bit," I came to live by the questions below, which changed those ways, thank God .

    The deep questions that no one has asked yet:

    What does it matter if people should believe in these supposed "falsehoods?"

    Who is being harmed by such beliefs?

    Why is it important to have to point out to people that they are wrong for having FAITH (there's a reason why people use that word)?
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  3. #39

    Default Re: You stay classy, American Atheists group

    Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    As I said in another post, I found it necessary when I was young to have to prove to people who had faith that they were foolish and illogical. Once I "grew up a bit," I came to live by the questions below, which changed those ways, thank God .

    The deep questions that no one has asked yet:

    What does it matter if people should believe in these supposed "falsehoods?"

    Who is being harmed by such beliefs?

    Why is it important to have to point out to people that they are wrong for having FAITH (there's a reason why people use that word)?
    Very good questions Ban and something people should look at that billboard. The billboard is not trying to tell people that their beliefs are falsehoods, but saying to those that believe they are, "YOU know that this is all a myth, if you believe in reason, we are like minded and exist for you.

    Does it matter if people believe those things, no and the humanist do not care if they choose to, noone is harmed from those beliefs unless they reject reason to maintain them and if they wish to believe things that cannever be proven and fly in the face of reason they are welcome to those beliefs.

  4. #40
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: You stay classy, American Atheists group

    Quote Originally Posted by coachsparky View Post
    You are wrong pm, the motive for the billboard is to let like minded people know they are out there and available to provide community and support. If I had not already found the UU group to support my mindset which demands the use of evidence, reason and scientific supportablility for all I believe, I may have responded by checking out their organization. That is all they are trying to do and the mamby pamby cry baby religionist need to get over it.
    BS. The entire text of the billboard doesn't say "Come, there are people who are like-minded." It says "Christians, your beliefs are false."
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  5. #41

    Default Re: You stay classy, American Atheists group

    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    BS. The entire text of the billboard doesn't say "Come, there are people who are like-minded." It says "Christians, your beliefs are false."
    Actually that is complete BS Zapp. It is talking to people who already believe it is a myth. It does not say you guys are wrong this is a myth. It say YOU know it is a myth. Get over your oversensitivity. Like I said it is a call to like minded people to know they are out there. This whole topic is just oversensitive BS.
    Last edited by coachsparky; 12-10-2010 at 12:28 PM.

  6. #42

    Default Re: You stay classy, American Atheists group

    Here is the exact text Zapp,

    You KNOW it is a Myth
    This season, celebrate REASON
    Sure looks to me like it is talking to people like me who KNOW it is a Myth and prefer to use REASON in their decision making.

  7. #43

    Default Re: You stay classy, American Atheists group

    Sorry, but I just don't get the importance in having to tell someone that their beliefs are myths, especially when such beliefs bring that person joy and harm NO ONE.

    My life is a better life (I think) since I started practicing my faith again. And, as far as I know, it harms no one.
    Last edited by ban basketball; 12-10-2010 at 01:44 PM.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  8. #44

    Default Re: You stay classy, American Atheists group

    Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    Sorry, but I just don't get havinthe importance in having to tell someone that their beliefs are myths, especially when such beliefs bring that person joy and harm NO ONE.

    My life is a better life (I think) since I started practicing my faith again. And, as far as I know, it harms no one.
    I agree and this billboard does not do that. It is not talking to believers it is talking to non-believers that is exceedingly clear.

  9. #45
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: You stay classy, American Atheists group

    Yeah, obviously, that's why it directly attacks a famous Christian holiday, during the time associated with that holiday, as opposed to simply stating something like "There is no God." Obviously they are using Christian images like the Nativity for illustrative purposes only.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •