Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 37 to 45 of 55
Discuss Keith Olbermann suspended by MSNBC indefinitely without pay for campaign donations at the Politics & Religion within the Wrestling Talk Forums; Originally Posted by quinn14 I will by the dvd's if your selling them. And the ...
  1. #37
    NCAA Champ ban basketball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,817

    Default Re: Keith Olbermann suspended by MSNBC indefinitely without pay for campaign donations

    Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    I will by the dvd's if your selling them.
    And the point of my arguing with that would be...?
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  2. #38
    Olympic Champ Flop The Nuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,469

    Default Re: Keith Olbermann suspended by MSNBC indefinitely without pay for campaign donations

    If I'm a black guy and I walk into a white supremacist bar, I'm nervious.
    If I'm a white guy and I walk into a Crips area, I'm nervious.
    If I'm jewish and I walk into a bar filled with people with swastika tattoos, I'm nervous.
    If I get on a cross-country plane and I see six muslims in traditional garb, I'm nervous. Not nervous enough to get off the plan or do anything, but still a bit more uneasy than when I first got on the plane.

    If that point of view gets you fired from NPR, that's fine, NPR can hire/fire whomever they want and I don't lose sleep over it. But you shouldn't be ridiculed just because sometimes you fall victim to stereotypes. Stereotypes become (and continue to be) stereotypes for a reason, they don't just spring up out of thin air.

  3. #39
    ODH
    ODH is offline
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,968

    Default Re: Keith Olbermann suspended by MSNBC indefinitely without pay for campaign donations

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    If I'm a black guy and I walk into a white supremacist bar, I'm nervious.
    If I'm a white guy and I walk into a Crips area, I'm nervious.
    If I'm jewish and I walk into a bar filled with people with swastika tattoos, I'm nervous.
    If I get on a cross-country plane and I see six muslims in traditional garb, I'm nervous. Not nervous enough to get off the plan or do anything, but still a bit more uneasy than when I first got on the plane.

    If that point of view gets you fired from NPR, that's fine, NPR can hire/fire whomever they want and I don't lose sleep over it. But you shouldn't be ridiculed just because sometimes you fall victim to stereotypes. Stereotypes become (and continue to be) stereotypes for a reason, they don't just spring up out of thin air.
    Everyone has stereotypes and everyone has personal feelings that are often best kept to oneself. Expressing some of my feelings might be honest but it also might get me in trouble at the workplace.

    At my workplace today, a colleague expresed his distaste for doing part of his work duties to his boss. Very honest, but it could lead to his losing his job.

    Williams seemed to have broken the rules and he lost his job.

  4. #40
    NCAA Champ ban basketball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,817

    Default Re: Keith Olbermann suspended by MSNBC indefinitely without pay for campaign donations

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Everyone has stereotypes and everyone has personal feelings that are often best kept to oneself. Expressing some of my feelings might be honest but it also might get me in trouble at the workplace.

    At my workplace today, a colleague expresed his distaste for doing part of his work duties to his boss. Very honest, but it could lead to his losing his job.

    Williams seemed to have broken the rules and he lost his job.
    Well put.

    Similar to what I call "the newspaper test." Would I want my comments published in the newspaper, along side my name and picture?
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  5. #41
    Olympic Champ Flop The Nuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,469

    Default Re: Keith Olbermann suspended by MSNBC indefinitely without pay for campaign donations

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Everyone has stereotypes and everyone has personal feelings that are often best kept to oneself. Expressing some of my feelings might be honest but it also might get me in trouble at the workplace.

    At my workplace today, a colleague expresed his distaste for doing part of his work duties to his boss. Very honest, but it could lead to his losing his job.

    Williams seemed to have broken the rules and he lost his job.
    I agree with that sentiment, but that didn't seem to be the general direction of this thread.

  6. #42
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,935

    Default Re: Keith Olbermann suspended by MSNBC indefinitely without pay for campaign donations

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Everyone has stereotypes and everyone has personal feelings that are often best kept to oneself. Expressing some of my feelings might be honest but it also might get me in trouble at the workplace.

    At my workplace today, a colleague expresed his distaste for doing part of his work duties to his boss. Very honest, but it could lead to his losing his job.

    Williams seemed to have broken the rules and he lost his job.
    I agree with you but it has been pointed out that many of the NPR "journalist" have done the exact same thing as Williams ad they kept their jobs. Williams did it for Fox news and I think that might have been the tipping point.

  7. #43
    NCAA Champ ban basketball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,817

    Default Re: Keith Olbermann suspended by MSNBC indefinitely without pay for campaign donations

    Quinn,

    Even though I think that it's a bit unfounded, for whatever reason, I've never been a fan favorite on these wrestling sites. I'm ok with that, as people can think of me in whatever way that they see fit. However, even though most don't think of me as a good person, I am and was raised to be a good, honest, decent person, which I try to do at all times.

    With that said, I meant to post this last night but never got to it, but I sincerely want to apologize for my last smart ass post that I made to you. It was COMPLETELY out of line, uncalled for, as nothing that you wrote to me should have even remotely led me to write such a nasty response.

    I apologize for such an unacceptable post that I am embarrassed by.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  8. #44
    National Finalist leglace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tampa Florida
    Posts
    992

    Default Re: Keith Olbermann suspended by MSNBC indefinitely without pay for campaign donations

    I disagree, given that Juan was making a point. His point was that attacks still continue to go on in the name of the muslim faith. There are not much in the way of condemnation from muslim people. The benefit to condemning acts that are said to be on behalf of a religion is that it helps to isolate those acts. The muslim nations have not done a good PR campaign to distance themselves. We all know that arab people are not the enemy. However, we fear the acts of extremists, and they are only identified has what stereotypes have taught us. Nothing more dangerous than an enemy driven blindly by religion.

    The good that comes out of what Juan said is hopefully, we can get more people of the muslim faith condemning actions said to be on behalf of their faith. They should be much more irate. Until we hear that, we will continue to feel uneasy.
    I pictured you as that guy Gaylord in Showboat, passing up taxis to walk because he's broke and playing it off as if it's the doctor's advice. - Clmetal

  9. #45
    NCAA Champ ban basketball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,817

    Default Re: Keith Olbermann suspended by MSNBC indefinitely without pay for campaign donations

    Quote Originally Posted by leglace View Post
    I disagree, given that Juan was making a point. His point was that attacks still continue to go on in the name of the muslim faith. There are not much in the way of condemnation from muslim people. The benefit to condemning acts that are said to be on behalf of a religion is that it helps to isolate those acts. The muslim nations have not done a good PR campaign to distance themselves. We all know that arab people are not the enemy. However, we fear the acts of extremists, and they are only identified has what stereotypes have taught us. Nothing more dangerous than an enemy driven blindly by religion.

    The good that comes out of what Juan said is hopefully, we can get more people of the muslim faith condemning actions said to be on behalf of their faith. They should be much more irate. Until we hear that, we will continue to feel uneasy.
    I found these in three minutes, and even left twice as many...

    http://www.muhajabah.com/otherscondemn.php
    http://www.religioustolerance.org/islfatwa.htm
    http://www.jihadwatch.org/2005/07/us...terrorism.html
    http://muslimmatters.org/2008/03/01/...st-time-round/
    http://www.ciogc.org/Go.aspx?link=7655053
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

user tags

powered by vBulletin msnbc politics

commentator basketball suspended muslim

keith olbermann cowboy boots

brannigan msnbc

powered by vBulletin ms nbc news

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •