Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 64 to 72 of 80

Thread: CNN is going down the tubes

  1. #64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieJ2 View Post
    That's the problem, ctc. You see this as an argument. An argument to be won or lost instead of a conversation. Everything here is not meant to be an argument.
    The other boards(International, College, High School, etc...) may be a conversation, but the Politics and Religion board is by nature at least a debate, and at times an agrument. I'm not advocating that we argue about everything, but that's kind of the nature of the beast.

  2. #65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    Whatever, ctc. It's clear you're in lockstep with any argument presented on talk radio, period--oblivious to the fact that there's someone poking you in the back with a needle.
    I don't listen to talk radio either, because I'm primarily at my desk (or somewhere in the office) from 8 to 5, and not in my car.

    Having said that, it's not a very strong argument to just try to associate CTC or anyone else with talk radio, and try to proclaim it as the end of the discussion. I've heard as much hatred and distortion from the left as I have from the right on talk radio. If CTC's (or my) statements at times correlate with what someone has said on talk radio, that doesn't mean that it's right or wrong, it just means that it's a position.

    Just my opinion, but it's similar to saying something like "You get all of your talking points from Rush", and expecting it to be an effective rejoinder. Anyone who thinks that Rush is wrong 100% of the time is wrong themselves.

  3. #66
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    It's a long way from East Colorado
    Posts
    3,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    The other boards(International, College, High School, etc...) may be a conversation, but the Politics and Religion board is by nature at least a debate, and at times an agrument. I'm not advocating that we argue about everything, but that's kind of the nature of the beast.
    I think Bonnie's saying we can discuss, even argue, about things, without there having to be a winner and a loser. That sounds like a mature position to me.

  4. #67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    I think Bonnie's saying we can discuss, even argue, about things, without there having to be a winner and a loser. That sounds like a mature position to me.
    OK, I agree with that.

  5. #68
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    It's a long way from East Colorado
    Posts
    3,740

    Default

    I don't listen to talk radio either, because I'm primarily at my desk (or somewhere in the office) from 8 to 5, and not in my car.

    Having said that, it's not a very strong argument to just try to associate CTC or anyone else with talk radio, and try to proclaim it as the end of the discussion. I've heard as much hatred and distortion from the left as I have from the right on talk radio. If CTC's (or my) statements at times correlate with what someone has said on talk radio, that doesn't mean that it's right or wrong, it just means that it's a position.

    Just my opinion, but it's similar to saying something like "You get all of your talking points from Rush", and expecting it to be an effective rejoinder. Anyone who thinks that Rush is wrong 100% of the time is wrong themselves.


    Your argument would be stronger if we were all new to the board and I accused ctc of simply following Rush. But we are not new. We have a history of conversation. We also bring our own experiences to the table. I've heard talk radio. I know talk radio. I can predict talk radio subject matter and arguments (as Lkwd Steve did earlier on this thread) and their underlying premises. And when I see on this forum and other places, people making arguments that mirror talk radio arguments (which are always simple and one-dimensional), it's natural to conclude that's where they're coming from.

    Further, when I attempt to contribute to (as Bonnie puts it) a conversation, and someone isn't making any effort to meet me at least part of the way (as the rules of conversation dictate), and instead always falls back on the party line, then I think it's only fair to point that out.
    Last edited by matclone; 04-11-2007 at 05:53 PM.

  6. #69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    I don't listen to talk radio either, because I'm primarily at my desk (or somewhere in the office) from 8 to 5, and not in my car.

    Having said that, it's not a very strong argument to just try to associate CTC or anyone else with talk radio, and try to proclaim it as the end of the discussion. I've heard as much hatred and distortion from the left as I have from the right on talk radio. If CTC's (or my) statements at times correlate with what someone has said on talk radio, that doesn't mean that it's right or wrong, it just means that it's a position.

    Just my opinion, but it's similar to saying something like "You get all of your talking points from Rush", and expecting it to be an effective rejoinder. Anyone who thinks that Rush is wrong 100% of the time is wrong themselves.


    Your argument would be stronger if we were all new to the board and I accused ctc of simply following Rush. But we are not new. We have a history of conversation. We also bring our own experiences to the table. I've heard talk radio. I know talk radio. I can predict talk radio subject matter and arguments (as Lkwd Steve did earlier on this thread) and their underlying premises. And when I see on this forum and other places, people making arguments that mirror talk radio arguments (which are always simple and one-dimensional), it's natural to conclude that's where they're coming from.

    Further, when I attempt to contribute to (as Bonnie puts it) a conversation, and someone isn't making any effort to meet me at least part of the way (as the rules of conversation dictate), and instead always falls back on the party line, then I think it's only fair to point that out.
    OK, fair enough.

  7. #70
    National Finalist
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    832

    Default

    Argument, debate, discussion, whatever - our opinions were in opposition. To come on here and declare (as if it is a viable point) that all I do is get my talking points from right wing radio is just assinine and assumes that I am some kind of mindless dolt. Nobody does my thinking for me. I don't care if it matches up with someone else's discussion _ NO ONE DOES MY THINKING FOR ME. Please try, in the future, to never forget that (I consider it an insult).
    My 2 points - 1. Pelosi is bad news
    2. Sex with young boys is horrible

    A reminder - when I see the "you just get your opinion from right wing radio", I know I am dominating the debate.

  8. #71

    Default

    Whether you call it a conversation or a debate, when you declare yourself "The Winner", it's tedious.
    "All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind." -- Abraham Lincoln

  9. #72
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    It's a long way from East Colorado
    Posts
    3,740

    Default

    Argument, debate, discussion, whatever - our opinions were in opposition.

    That's the problem. We're in opposition, and that's all you know. No other way to look at it. Sorry to insult you, but you make no effort to try an understand what I'm saying or to consider any different points of view. I feel insulted when someone claims that Pelosi somehow condones man-child sex. When I read that, I figure you must think I'm an idiot or something.
    Last edited by matclone; 04-12-2007 at 01:32 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •