Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 16232425262728 LastLast
Results 226 to 234 of 244

Thread: Religion out of the Question Thread

  1. #226
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,934

    Default Re: Religion out of the Question Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by coachsparky View Post
    I am not interpreting the verses, I am allowing them to speak for themselves simply as the words are stated. I guess convoluted interpretation just are not my thing.
    You do interpret. You clearly stated more than once that verses did not mean what they said because certain words were misinterpreted. If you read those verses just as they were they would mean something different than what you said them to mean.

  2. #227
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,934

    Default Re: Religion out of the Question Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by coachsparky View Post
    Actually no I am not conceding that point. I posted passages that say all will be saved:

    <link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CB5EDDREH%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cm sohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I Corinthians 15:22. For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive.<o>></o>>
    <o>> </o>>
    Colossians 1:20.<sup>19</sup>For in him [Christ] all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, <sup>20</sup>and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.<o>></o>>
    <o>> </o>>
    Romans 5:18: <sup>18</sup>Then as one man's trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one man's act of righteousness leads to acquittal and life for all men.


    Ugly responded saying that it is not true that all would be saved. When you say that something is not true that is clearly stated, are you not saying that those statements are a lie. I believe I am correct in that, if you do not think so please show me where my logic is flawed. I clearly never admitted any flaw in my argument so Ugly's had no logical origin where my restating of Ugly's position does.

    He may not have said the exact words that the Bible lies but to say those statements that I took right out of the Bible are incorrect is to say those statements are lies.
    Its not that I dont believe the words to be true. I dont get the same meaning out of them as you do. I believe the words and I never said nor did I intimate that I did not believe them. I just did not agree with your interpretation of them. So you did put words in my mouth.

  3. #228
    NCAA Champ WhippetGrappler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Moved to Suffolk, VA
    Posts
    1,281

    Default Re: Religion out of the Question Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    I'm sorry I was a little rude, but you were wrong to tell Quinn to butt out. Even though you were having a one-on-one with UGLY, other people's opinions should be welcome and encouraged. That's the purpose of a forum.

    Wow....this is really weird. I have to totally agree with Spider again in this post on religion!

    This is one thing I respect the most from Spider. He may not agree with you, but he always shows respect and never resorts to name calling.

    Last edited by WhippetGrappler; 07-22-2010 at 08:34 PM.
    BRUTUS BUCKEYE WILL TAKE YOU DOWN...

  4. #229
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: Religion out of the Question Thread

    Thanks again, Whippet. And I enjoyed that little bit of Spidey nostalgia.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  5. #230

    Default Re: Religion out of the Question Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    I'm sorry I was a little rude, but you were wrong to tell Quinn to butt out. Even though you were having a one-on-one with UGLY, other people's opinions should be welcome and encouraged. That's the purpose of a forum.
    Exactly Spider, their opinions about the topic would have been welcomed, but instead, he insinuated himself into a one on one exchange about something and dug way way way back into the beginning of the discussion and brought something out that was dead and gone. I maintain, I was right, he should have butted out of that particular stuff and stuck to sharing opinions about the topic at hand.
    Last edited by coachsparky; 07-25-2010 at 07:56 AM.

  6. #231

    Default Re: Religion out of the Question Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    The loving God argument wasnt what you were making before. You were basing your argument on the misinterpretation of the word eternal or everlasting. You did admit that according to your study of the word eternal that there was no eternal salvation, you said that. I did not put any words in your mouth.
    No I did not admit that there was not eternal life, show me where I said that. Salvation to me means simply life after death, and we will all enjoy that. You did without a doubt put words in my mouth, it is completely dishonest to claim otherwise. Go back and look, I have several time brought the loving God part of it up in the discussion. It is how I first got out of traditional Christianity by having the revelation, that if what I had been taught all my life that the Bible meant then I was better than God because I would never do such things to one of my children. Just do a little research and you will find my posts about that.

  7. #232

    Default Re: Religion out of the Question Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    You do interpret. You clearly stated more than once that verses did not mean what they said because certain words were misinterpreted. If you read those verses just as they were they would mean something different than what you said them to mean.

    There is a difference between convoluted interpretation and letting the words speak for themselves. I posted the scholarly write up about how the original Greek word that was mistranslated actually means for long ages something that clearly does not mean forever. It is correctely translated elsewhere in the Bible so I just let the original word mean what it was intended to mean. Not what someone with a vested interest wanted them to mean.

  8. #233

    Default Re: Religion out of the Question Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    Its not that I dont believe the words to be true. I dont get the same meaning out of them as you do. I believe the words and I never said nor did I intimate that I did not believe them. I just did not agree with your interpretation of them. So you did put words in my mouth.
    as in Adam all die, pretty clear that means because of Adam's all will die.

    so also in Christ, all will be made alive, pretty clear that means all will have eternal life because of Jesus' actions.

    How again do you claim the convoluted interpretation of that simple English should go?

  9. #234
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,934

    Default Re: Religion out of the Question Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by coachsparky View Post
    There is a difference between convoluted interpretation and letting the words speak for themselves. I posted the scholarly write up about how the original Greek word that was mistranslated actually means for long ages something that clearly does not mean forever. It is correctely translated elsewhere in the Bible so I just let the original word mean what it was intended to mean. Not what someone with a vested interest wanted them to mean.
    So in certain areas it is right to interpret based on the context but in others we need to simply let the words speak for themselves and not take into account things like word origin or context of the situation or anything else.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •