Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 9 of 23

Thread: LA school Field trip

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default LA school Field trip

    So this is what is being taught in LA schools, how they are spending their money, and they are actually teaching this stuff? WOW!!!!!

    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/09...est-road-trip/

  2. #2

    Default Re: LA school Field trip

    Individuals acting on their own time supporting causes they believe in. While I disagree with them, there is nothing wrong with that. This did not happen during school hours, it was not school sponsored, it was not school funded. Not a school field trip. Nothing to do with LAUSD - except that teachers and students were involved during their off time.

    R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

  3. #3

    Default Re: LA school Field trip

    Was going to post more or less the same thing. Nothing stopping idiots from acting like idiots on their own time.

  4. #4
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: LA school Field trip

    I agree that regardless of the opinions expressed, it's okay if it wasn't done with taxpayer dollars. I wonder if the "Revolutionaries Looking On" would have made the headline if they had been George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  5. #5

    Default Re: LA school Field trip

    Even though it isn't on school grounds, it shows what teachers are teaching the students. It is sad when just being proud of your country is taught to be racist. We will pay for this type of thought in many ways down the road.

  6. #6

    Default Re: LA school Field trip

    Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Even though it isn't on school grounds, it shows what teachers are teaching the students. It is sad when just being proud of your country is taught to be racist. We will pay for this type of thought in many ways down the road.
    It isn't necessarily the teachers doing the teaching here... They are definitely helping the students learn the art of protesting, but I'd imagine many of the students that went, went there because of family beliefs.

  7. #7
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parker, Az
    Posts
    3,388

    Default Re: LA school Field trip

    Even though it isn't on school grounds, it shows what teachers are teaching the students.

    It shows what these particular teachers, in a specific area, are teaching on their own time. I have taught for years and I don't teach this sort of thing. Richardson has taught for many many many many many many many many years (one room school houses come to mind) and I am pretty sure he doesn't teach this sort of thing.

    It is sad when just being proud of your country is taught to be racist.

    It is a big country, and this was an isolated incident that wasn't even part of the district.

    We will pay for this type of thought in many ways down the road.

    If you are afraid of our educational system I might suggest you homeschool any kids you have, or may have. If you are really that paranoid about the future of this nation I might suggest that if/when you get the resources you relocate. I am not asking you to leave - you have a right to your views - I'd prefer you stay as I happen to think a variety of viewpoints are important. But if you truly believe as you posted I can not imagine why you wouldn't at least consider it.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

  8. #8

    Default Re: LA school Field trip

    Quote Originally Posted by M Richardson View Post
    Individuals acting on their own time supporting causes they believe in. While I disagree with them, there is nothing wrong with that. This did not happen during school hours, it was not school sponsored, it was not school funded. Not a school field trip. Nothing to do with LAUSD - except that teachers and students were involved during their off time.
    You and Jensen have a good point. I misread the article and the paragraph below lead me to believe this was a school sponsored event. Doesn't the school have to get involved in some way if a teacher is taking students somewhere or "teaching" them outside of school hours? I honestly don't know the answer and that is why i am asking. I guess teachers can tutor after hours so it is essentially the same. That being said it is still my opinion that these teachers went overboard and crossed the line, but it is a free country and people can do what they want (for the most part).

    "Four days later, the school board president implored the superintendent of schools to ensure that students in the district be taught that Arizona's law is "un-American" and Jim Crow-like. The law, passed in April, empowers law enforcement officials to question the immigration status of people they think may be in the country illegally."

    It is the paragraph above that lead me to believe the school was involved. How is indoctrinating our youth with incorrect information or opinion actually teaching.

    When i was in Highschool i had a government teacher that refused to tell us what his political beliefs are. He said his job was not to teach his opinions but to share the facts and let us decide what we believe and teach us how to articulate our view points with actual evidence. On our papers and speaches he taught us how to research and then graded us not on our beliefs but by how well we documented our sources and formed our arguments. He was a great teacher. It is funny he actually taught my mother and father and they grew up in different towns.

  9. #9

    Default Re: LA school Field trip

    Quote Originally Posted by Chance174 View Post
    You and Jensen have a good point. I misread the article and the paragraph below lead me to believe this was a school sponsored event. Doesn't the school have to get involved in some way if a teacher is taking students somewhere or "teaching" them outside of school hours? I honestly don't know the answer and that is why i am asking. I guess teachers can tutor after hours so it is essentially the same. That being said it is still my opinion that these teachers went overboard and crossed the line, but it is a free country and people can do what they want (for the most part).

    "Four days later, the school board president implored the superintendent of schools to ensure that students in the district be taught that Arizona's law is "un-American" and Jim Crow-like. The law, passed in April, empowers law enforcement officials to question the immigration status of people they think may be in the country illegally."

    It is the paragraph above that lead me to believe the school was involved. How is indoctrinating our youth with incorrect information or opinion actually teaching.

    When i was in Highschool i had a government teacher that refused to tell us what his political beliefs are. He said his job was not to teach his opinions but to share the facts and let us decide what we believe and teach us how to articulate our view points with actual evidence. On our papers and speaches he taught us how to research and then graded us not on our beliefs but by how well we documented our sources and formed our arguments. He was a great teacher. It is funny he actually taught my mother and father and they grew up in different towns.
    I had the same type of teacher, chance. That is funny how you described him because it was my exact same situation. My teacher would give a situation and then ask us our opinions. It didn't matter what our opinion was, he played devils advocate and made us back up our thoughts with reason. It was one of the best classes I ever had because it taught you how to think critically and see the other side, no matter what that side was.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •