Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 9 of 50

Thread: War on Terror

  1. #1

    Default War on Terror

    If we are no longer supposed to call our current fight a "war on Terror" and not call our enemies jihadist or terrorist then what are we supposed to call them. Does this make any sense to anyone?

    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...e-tenet-islam/

  2. #2

    Default Re: War on Terror

    Quote Originally Posted by Chance174 View Post
    If we are no longer supposed to call our current fight a "war on Terror" and not call our enemies jihadist or terrorist then what are we supposed to call them. Does this make any sense to anyone?

    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...e-tenet-islam/
    What the people in the article are saying (and we could all agree, rightfully, at that) is different from the questions that you are asking. In fact, they really even answer your question.

    All makes academic sense to me and does nothing to undermine our effort in the war.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  3. #3

    Default Re: War on Terror

    He repeated the administration argument that the enemy is not "terrorism," because terrorism is a "tactic,"
    This makes sense to me, we didn't call WWII a 'War on Komikaze-ism"

    "Nor do we describe our enemy as 'jihadists' or 'Islamists' because jihad is a holy struggle, a legitimate tenet of Islam, meaning to purify oneself or one's community, and there is nothing holy or legitimate or Islamic about murdering innocent men, women and children,"
    I've heard it argued a while ago that jihad technically means a personal struggle (a person could have a jihad to quite smoking, for example). I think it makes sense for our leaders to use correct terminology.

    It also seems like Fox is trying to get people to think that he's saying that what most people think of when they hear 'jihad' is 'legitimate' which is not the case, but nobody would understand that unless they read past the first few paragraphs.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

  4. #4

    Default Re: War on Terror

    Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    What the people in the article are saying (and we could all agree, rightfully, at that) is different from the questions that you are asking. In fact, they really even answer your question.

    All makes academic sense to me and does nothing to undermine our effort in the war.
    i don't believe the article does anwer my questions. You are right they do make "academic sense" but like usual academics do not always mean the same thing in the real world.

    did i say/imply anything about them undermining our war effort? Although it could be argued that it could hurt the war effort, but i think this conversation would be for a different thread.

  5. #5

    Default Re: War on Terror

    Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    This makes sense to me, we didn't call WWII a 'War on Komikaze-ism"


    I've heard it argued a while ago that jihad technically means a personal struggle (a person could have a jihad to quite smoking, for example). I think it makes sense for our leaders to use correct terminology.

    It also seems like Fox is trying to get people to think that he's saying that what most people think of when they hear 'jihad' is 'legitimate' which is not the case, but nobody would understand that unless they read past the first few paragraphs.
    With your first point....we didn't call it war on Komikase-ism because we were fighting an actual country. Yes we are fighting in Iraq and afganistan but we are also fighting terrorist from many countries....hence the "war on terror".


    In response to "our leaders should use the correct terminology" portion I would say we were until this administration came in. The terrorist say they are jihadist so we were calling them what they were calling themselves.

    I can see where you could come the the conclusion on what fox is trying to do and could see how some people could see that as well.

  6. #6

    Default Re: War on Terror

    Quote Originally Posted by Chance174 View Post
    i don't believe the article does anwer my questions. You are right they do make "academic sense" but like usual academics do not always mean the same thing in the real world.

    did i say/imply anything about them undermining our war effort? Although it could be argued that it could hurt the war effort, but i think this conversation would be for a different thread.
    I'm simply saying that Fixed Noise and others who are rooting for America to fail-not you-have tried since day one to make it sound like the current war on terrorism has no legitimacy, and as their main "evidence" of this, they use how people have called into question the basic terminology that is used.

    The basic point is that there is no evidence to show that the war effort has lessened, is doing worse, or is not cared about. It is simply being called for what it truly is, not what our emotions would like to call it.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  7. #7

    Default Re: War on Terror

    Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    I'm simply saying that Fixed Noise and others who are rooting for America to fail-not you-have tried since day one to make it sound like the current war on terrorism has no legitimacy, and as their main "evidence" of this, they use how people have called into question the basic terminology that is used.

    The basic point is that there is no evidence to show that the war effort has lessened, is doing worse, or is not cared about. It is simply being called for what it truly is, not what our emotions would like to call it.
    I understand your point...i really do. However the terms used in the academic world do not always translate correctly into the real world. In addition it can also be said those that only use these words like they are used in academics and not in the real world likely don't understand what is happening in the real world. If they do not understand what is happening in the real world their advice and decisions are based on acedemia and not the real world which can take us down the wrong path.

  8. #8
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: War on Terror

    I understand that a jihad need not be a violent attack (perhaps Salman Rushdie would disagree), but violent attacks on innocent people in order to instill terror in the population and cause governments to capitulate to one's desires is, in fact, terrorism; and those who engage in this tactic are terrorists. That they use religion to justify their acts does not imply that these tactics are endorsed by the mainstream religion or that all believers support terrorism.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  9. #9

    Default Re: War on Terror

    I prefer TWOT.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •