Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 10 to 18 of 67

Thread: Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

  1. #10

    Default Re: Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

    I completely disagree with almost all of you. This is our country and wearing a flag t-shirt is not offensive. If people want to celebrate their country's holidays then go ahead, but since this is also their country, don't get offended by the flag they must have proclaimed allegiance to. Unless, they are illegals. Oh, and here is a little fact about what Mexicans think of cinco de mayo in Mexico.

    While Cinco de Mayo sees limited significance and celebration nationwide in Mexico, the date is observed nationwide in the United States and other locations around the world as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride.<SUP id=cite_ref-7 class=reference>[8]</SUP> Cinco de Mayo is not Mexico's Independence Day,<SUP id=cite_ref-8 class=reference>[9]</SUP> the most important national patriotic holiday in Mexico.

  2. #11
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

    Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    I completely disagree with almost all of you. This is our country and wearing a flag t-shirt is not offensive. If people want to celebrate their country's holidays then go ahead, but since this is also their country, don't get offended by the flag they must have proclaimed allegiance to. Unless, they are illegals. Oh, and here is a little fact about what Mexicans think of cinco de mayo in Mexico.

    While Cinco de Mayo sees limited significance and celebration nationwide in Mexico, the date is observed nationwide in the United States and other locations around the world as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride.<SUP id=cite_ref-7 class=reference>[8]</SUP> Cinco de Mayo is not Mexico's Independence Day,<SUP id=cite_ref-8 class=reference>[9]</SUP> the most important national patriotic holiday in Mexico.
    If some kids decided to wear Confederate Flag shirts on Martin Luther King Day with the intention of disrespecting the black students' observation, would that be okay with you? The issue here isn't America, the flag, and a foreign holiday, it's respect for others and what's important to them. The students' motivation wasn't patriotism (I wonder how often they wear their flag t-shirts to school), it was disrespect and provocation.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  3. #12

    Default Re: Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    If some kids decided to wear Confederate Flag shirts on Martin Luther King Day with the intention of disrespecting the black students' observation, would that be okay with you? The issue here isn't America, the flag, and a foreign holiday, it's respect for others and what's important to them. The students' motivation wasn't patriotism (I wonder how often they wear their flag t-shirts to school), it was disrespect and provocation.
    Here's the only problem that I have with that statement. A student wearing a confederate flag/Mexican flag/Canadian flag/French flag/etc in our country is not the same as wearing an American flag in this country. If they had done this in Mexico I would understand the outrage, but this is America, and they were wearing the flag of our country.

    Were the kids wearing the shirts probably doing it to stir the pot, sure, who knows, but does it matter? They weren't wearing shirts that were running down Mexico, they were just wearing shirts promoting THIS country. Would there be outrage in Mexico if someone wore a Mexican flag on the fourth of July?

    I do understand your point about common courtesy, and think that it is desperately lacking in this country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

  4. #13

    Default Re: Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    If some kids decided to wear Confederate Flag shirts on Martin Luther King Day with the intention of disrespecting the black students' observation, would that be okay with you? The issue here isn't America, the flag, and a foreign holiday, it's respect for others and what's important to them. The students' motivation wasn't patriotism (I wonder how often they wear their flag t-shirts to school), it was disrespect and provocation.
    Much like your comment about the I (heart) Germany t-shirt at a Holocaust assembly example, your missing the point. The confederates wanted to keep slavery and therefore wouldn't have liked MLK Jr. The Nazies hated Jews and killed them. Your examples there are spot on. They would be wrong if they did what you described.

    Cinco de Mayo is a day that very few Mexicans celebrate to commemorate a military victory over the French. What in the hell does the American flag have to do with that? WE ARE IN AMERICA!! Should we tear down the Alamo because some Mexicans don't like it? It is our heritage and we are in our country. Should I expect muslims to take off their turbins on the 4th of July?

    And, around here all of the schools fly the American flag on the front lawn every day. Did this school take theirs down yesterday? And does anyone think they should have?

  5. #14

    Default Re: Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

    Perhaps the school administration didn't mean for it to go as far as it did. Teachers tell their students to change/flip around their shirts all the time, usually because the clothes have inappropraite slogans or something.

    Once a student blatantly refuses to follow staff's instructions though, what choice did they have? You can't have kids flat-out refusing to do what their teachers or administration tell them and get away with it.

    I agree with Spider that a better choice for the staff would have been not to get involved at all, but once they do get involved they have to follow through if students are going to defy their direction.

  6. #15
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

    Quinn14 & Snacken,

    I understand what you guys are saying and I respect both of you and your opinions. My point (as I said in my last post) is that in my opinion, this story has nothing to do with the flag or patriotism. I believe that the ONLY reason those kids wore American flag t-shirts that day was to antagonize the Mexican-American (I hate those hyphenated nationalities, but it works here) kids, who were celebrating Cinqo de Mayo. Did the administration overreact? Maybe, unless the school was a hotbed of racial tensions waiting to explode. Should the hispanic kids have been offended? Not really, they probably already knew that those kids were racists. Should the kids' parents have defended their juvenile behavior? Certainly not, and that's probably the worst part of this story.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  7. #16
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

    BTW, if I'm wrong and the kids really did just happen to wear their American flag shirts that day with no intention of making any kind of counter-cinqo-de-mayo statement, and they're really nice kids who aren't in the least bit racist, then all bets are off and I apologize to them, but still . . .


    Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    "I'm not going to apologize. I did nothing wrong," Galli said.

    I don't see what's wrong with saying something along the lines of "I'm sorry if I offended anyone, I did not intend to", unless he actually did intend to.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  8. #17

    Default Re: Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

    I guess I've always found it curious how we take it upon ourselves to tell someone what should and shouldn't offend them. That seems arrogant and ignorant to me.

    If someone says that they are offended by something, I've never found how it is my job to tell that person that he/she is wrong to be offended by it; pornography and "raunchy" lyrics are prime examples.

    Or, for me, and even better example are racist/ethnic jokes.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  9. #18

    Default Re: Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

    Ban and Spider, could either of you tell me why wearing an American flag shirt in America should offend an American? Ban, I hear you when you say that we can't tell others what should or should not offend them. But, at our current rate, a Red Sox fan who moved to New York will demand that other students shouldn't be allowed to wear Yankee gear because they get offended. See how dumb that scenerio sounds? Same thing with mexican-americans offended by the American flag.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •