Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 54 of 180

Thread: Immigration issue heating up

  1. #46

    Default Re: Immigration issue heating up

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    Did any of those other 1/2 dozen people commit a massacre similar to the one in custody?
    And that would relate to our questions...how...?
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  2. #47

    Default Re: Immigration issue heating up

    Do you think Fox News will be covering the million plus Americans protesting today?

    Gonna be a tough day for the rednecks. Maybe the teabag express will try to run down the crowd in LA?

  3. #48

    Default Re: Immigration issue heating up

    Quote Originally Posted by washed up wrestler View Post
    Do you think Fox News will be covering the million plus Americans protesting today?

    Gonna be a tough day for the rednecks. Maybe the teabag express will try to run down the crowd in LA?
    Watch Fox in the morning. I guarantee you that they have it covered and will broadcast whatever happened. The question is, will MSNBC show the violent outburts if they happen because Fox will.

  4. #49

    Default Re: Immigration issue heating up

    Quote Originally Posted by washed up wrestler View Post
    Do you think Fox News will be covering the million plus Americans protesting today?

    Gonna be a tough day for the rednecks. Maybe the teabag express will try to run down the crowd in LA?
    Were they told to carry American Flags again for these marches?

    So let me get this straight once and for all. People agaist illegal immigration are either rednecks, racists, teabaggers, or a variety of other names according to you and other liberals.

    since when was wanting to follow the law and make criminals accountable for their actions a bad thing? If any liberal can answer that question i will be amazed.

  5. #50

    Default Re: Immigration issue heating up

    Quote Originally Posted by Chance174 View Post
    since when was wanting to follow the law and make criminals accountable for their actions a bad thing?
    It isnt' a bad thing. The way they're going about doing it is.

    They're requiring American citizens to carry government issued ID, they're assuming people are guilty until proven innocent, and they're putting local police departments in the position of either not adequately enforcing the law (and therefor getting sued) or racially profiling their citizens (and therefor getting sued).
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

  6. #51

    Default Re: Immigration issue heating up

    Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    It isnt' a bad thing. The way they're going about doing it is.

    They're requiring American citizens to carry government issued ID, they're assuming people are guilty until proven innocent, and they're putting local police departments in the position of either not adequately enforcing the law (and therefor getting sued) or racially profiling their citizens (and therefor getting sued).
    I think this is where we differ the law is very carefully written as to not break any other laws or that when enforced the officers will not get sued.

    A suspected criminal gets pulled over they are checked out and then if nothing is wrong they are let go. Just like when someone gets pulled over for drunk driving. I have been pulled over many times and asked if i have been drinking and once the officers find out i haven't they let me go. I drive a sports car which is why i get pulled over more than most does that mean i am being profiled? This situation is very similiar to the ones that will be taking place

    I am not sure if that comparison works for you. Have you read the bill?

    I will admit i have only read a little over half of it, but from what i have read the media is not covering the bill correctly. Of course what do we expect from today's media (and yes that includes Fox), but i guess that is another topic

  7. #52

    Default Re: Immigration issue heating up

    Quote Originally Posted by Chance174 View Post
    I think this is where we differ the law is very carefully written as to not break any other laws or that when enforced the officers will not get sued.
    The problem is that many of the law enforcement agencies (think small town police) don't have the resources or man-power to enforce this law, and it's clearly stated in the bill that law enforcement agencies who don't enforce the law to it's fullest extent can be sued.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chance174 View Post
    A suspected criminal gets pulled over they are checked out and then if nothing is wrong they are let go. Just like when someone gets pulled over for drunk driving. I have been pulled over many times and asked if i have been drinking and once the officers find out i haven't they let me go. I drive a sports car which is why i get pulled over more than most does that mean i am being profiled? This situation is very similiar to the ones that will be taking place
    Yes, when you get pulled over for driving in a sports car you're probably being profiled, though I'm not up to date on the legal differences between racial profiling and choice in automobile profiling.
    The Arizona law states that anytime a law enforcement official makes legal contact (which isn't necessarily for a trafffic infraction) they have to verify the immigration status of the person if there is 'reasonable suspicion' (I've yet to hear an example of what would consitute 'reasonable suspicion' other than skin color, language/accent or country of origin)

    Quote Originally Posted by Chance174 View Post
    I am not sure if that comparison works for you. Have you read the bill?
    I've skimmed it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chance174 View Post
    I will admit i have only read a little over half of it, but from what i have read the media is not covering the bill correctly. Of course what do we expect from today's media (and yes that includes Fox), but i guess that is another topic
    I admit that I don't know how the media is covering it, I watch very little national news.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

  8. #53

    Default Re: Immigration issue heating up

    Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    The problem is that many of the law enforcement agencies (think small town police) don't have the resources or man-power to enforce this law, and it's clearly stated in the bill that law enforcement agencies who don't enforce the law to it's fullest extent can be sued.


    Yes, when you get pulled over for driving in a sports car you're probably being profiled, though I'm not up to date on the legal differences between racial profiling and choice in automobile profiling.
    The Arizona law states that anytime a law enforcement official makes legal contact (which isn't necessarily for a trafffic infraction) they have to verify the immigration status of the person if there is 'reasonable suspicion' (I've yet to hear an example of what would consitute 'reasonable suspicion' other than skin color, language/accent or country of origin)

    I've skimmed it.

    I admit that I don't know how the media is covering it, I watch very little national news.

    Here's what I don't understand from your argument about police making leagal contact with a citizen that doesn't necessarily mean a traffic violation. Let's say that you are 21 and using the restroom beside a building because the person in the gas station won't allow you to use the inside one (umm...this is hypothetical) and a cop shows up. He asks for your id and then cites you for public indecency. Should I (er..I mean) anyone complain because I was asked for proof of id? Was I profiled? Or was I breaking the law and they needed to know who I (I mean "someone I know") was?

    DUI check point have already made it legal to check id's for no reason, whether we like it or not.

  9. #54

    Default Re: Immigration issue heating up

    Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Here's what I don't understand from your argument about police making leagal contact with a citizen that doesn't necessarily mean a traffic violation. Let's say that you are 21 and using the restroom beside a building because the person in the gas station won't allow you to use the inside one (umm...this is hypothetical) and a cop shows up. He asks for your id and then cites you for public indecency. Should I (er..I mean) anyone complain because I was asked for proof of id? Was I profiled? Or was I breaking the law and they needed to know who I (I mean "someone I know") was?
    I don't see the connection, if you piss on a building you should get cited.

    If a cop thinks you might be pissing on a building sees that you're not but takes you to jail because you aren't carrying ID (or don't have the right ID), then it's another story.

    Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    DUI check point have already made it legal to check id's for no reason, whether we like it or not.
    So, because we have DUI checkpoints it's ok to require everyone to carry ID at all times?

    I'm OK with my bags being searched at the airport, that doesn't mean it's ok for cops to stop me on the street and go through my stuff.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •