Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
Results 10 to 18 of 135

Thread: One step closer to Socialism leaning to Communism

  1. #10

    Default Re: One step closer to Socialism leaning to Communism

    How's that man crush on Lance Palmer treating you Ugly?

  2. #11
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,934

    Default Re: One step closer to Socialism leaning to Communism

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Respectfully ignoring KR's veering off topic...
    Ugly, I understand the logic of opposing having the government requiring people to buy health insurance coverage, but what do you do with people who refuse to buy it on their own.
    Do you deny them treatment?
    Would you let them bleed out in the street and not allow them to be admitted unless they showed insurance or cash on hand?
    I would say hold them responsible for their actions, make hem pay the bills to the hospital. We should not force people to buy something they dont want and even more than that we should not force other people to pay for someones perceived right. The only right to health care I see is that the right to be able to buy it or have emergencies taken care of. Create legislation that would bring down health care and insurance costs so most people can afford it, but if people choose not to buy it then that is their choice.

    Like I said wheres my hand gun the government owes me for my right to bear arms ODH why dont you go and buy me a gun so I can enjoy my right to bear arms. Its my right and someone else should pay for it right.

  3. #12
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: One step closer to Socialism leaning to Communism

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Respectfully ignoring KR's veering off topic...
    Ugly, I understand the logic of opposing having the government requiring people to buy health insurance coverage, but what do you do with people who refuse to buy it on their own.
    Do you deny them treatment?
    Would you let them bleed out in the street and not allow them to be admitted unless they showed insurace or cash on hand?
    That raises the real crux to me, what do you do with people who refuse to buy it? The heart says "help everyone", my head says "screw them, they made the choice,. Why should I pay for them because they choose not to?" There are people who legit can't afford it, and that's a different case, but I also know people on government-subsidized programs that are abusing it to the nines. My cousin's girlfriend is on unemployment, but she leaves town every weekend, eats out often, and loves her new iPhone.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  4. #13

    Default Re: One step closer to Socialism leaning to Communism

    Here's what I think. I believe that everyone should be treated when treatment is needed. If a person walks into a doctor's office/hospital and NEEDS help they should receive it (see Hippocratic oath) regardless of the ability to pay. However they should still do what they can to pay for the services received.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

  5. #14
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,966

    Default Re: One step closer to Socialism leaning to Communism

    Quote Originally Posted by Snackem View Post
    Here's what I think. I believe that everyone should be treated when treatment is needed. If a person walks into a doctor's office/hospital and NEEDS help they should receive it (see Hippocratic oath) regardless of the ability to pay. However they should still do what they can to pay for the services received.
    And who is going to pay?
    It has to be subsidized by someone.

  6. #15
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,966

    Default Re: One step closer to Socialism leaning to Communism

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    I would say hold them responsible for their actions, make hem pay the bills to the hospital. We should not force people to buy something they dont want and even more than that we should not force other people to pay for someones perceived right. The only right to health care I see is that the right to be able to buy it or have emergencies taken care of. Create legislation that would bring down health care and insurance costs so most people can afford it, but if people choose not to buy it then that is their choice.

    Like I said wheres my hand gun the government owes me for my right to bear arms ODH why dont you go and buy me a gun so I can enjoy my right to bear arms. Its my right and someone else should pay for it right.
    I am not talking about abstract rights, so the argument about the government buying guns is not relevant.
    The cost of modern healthcare is not affordable to almost anyone. Somebody who is young and healthy and decides not to buy health insurance and has a serious incident (car crash, cancer, you name it). There health bills will be beyond their means to pay...what should happen to these people?
    Should those of us who are responsible fund their irresponsiblity through our higher health care premiums? This is what happens today.
    Should the hospitals refuse them and let them die? That seems to be what the preferred conservative answer is.

  7. #16
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,966

    Default Re: One step closer to Socialism leaning to Communism

    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    That raises the real crux to me, what do you do with people who refuse to buy it? The heart says "help everyone", my head says "screw them, they made the choice,. Why should I pay for them because they choose not to?" There are people who legit can't afford it, and that's a different case, but I also know people on government-subsidized programs that are abusing it to the nines. My cousin's girlfriend is on unemployment, but she leaves town every weekend, eats out often, and loves her new iPhone.
    "screw them, they made the choice" taken to the full measure means letting people die who could be easily treated. Our society, my self included, does not have the stomach for this.

    Also because you know certain instances where government programs are abused does not mean that the vast majority don't desperately need what the help.

  8. #17
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,934

    Default Re: One step closer to Socialism leaning to Communism

    No dont let them die. I would also limit emergency room visits to real emergencies, not colds.

    We are talking about an abstract right when it comes to health care, we are not talking in the abstract about the 2nd amendment it is an expressed right.

  9. #18
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,966

    Default Re: One step closer to Socialism leaning to Communism

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    No dont let them die. I would also limit emergency room visits to real emergencies, not colds.

    We are talking about an abstract right when it comes to health care, we are not talking in the abstract about the 2nd amendment it is an expressed right.
    Abstract right was not what I meant...I meant more that buying guns for everyone is a hypothetical situation which is an interesting counter to an abstract academic argument about rights, but is distracting to the health care debate.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •