Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 99 of 135

Thread: One step closer to Socialism leaning to Communism

  1. #91

    Default Re: One step closer to Socialism leaning to Communism

    Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    • Flood insurance. You aren't required to live in a floodplane
    • Keeping my home up to code. you aren't required to own a home
    • Motorcycle helmets you aren't required to own a motorcycle
    • Marriage license. you aren't required to get married
    • Trigger locks on my guns you aren't required to own a gun
    • A hunting license. you aren't required to hunt
    • A fishing license. you aren't required to fish
    • Clothes. You can get for free, or you can stay indoors
    • Food for my children. you aren't required to raise children
    • Medical care for my children. you aren't require to raise children
    • Refuse removal. You aren't required to live someplace that requires refuse removal
    • New sidewalks. you can live someplace that doesn't have sidewalks
    The difference is that there is no way of opting out of buying health insurance, the federal government has never required every single person to purchase a good/service.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

  2. #92

    Default Re: One step closer to Socialism leaning to Communism

    Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    The difference is that there is no way of opting out of buying health insurance, the federal government has never required every single person to purchase a good/service.
    I'm opting out of it. In fact, for those who are happy with their present health insurance, they are opting out of it as well.

    How do I opt out of flood insurance, if I live in a town that's a flood plain?

    Buying my kids food?

    Providing medical care for my kids when it is needed?

    Replacing sidewalks?

    Refuse collection?

    Home up to code?

    Clothes?
    Last edited by ban basketball; 03-31-2010 at 03:01 PM.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  3. #93

    Default Re: One step closer to Socialism leaning to Communism

    Not to beat a dead horse, but government also requires me to pay into/buy into taxes (I directly get services from them), Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security.

    In essence, I'm forced to "buy" these things from government.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  4. #94

    Default Re: One step closer to Socialism leaning to Communism

    Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    I'm opting out of it. In fact, for those who are happy with their present health insurance, they are opting out of it as well. You're opting out of the requirement to buy health insurance by buying health insurance?

    How do I opt out of flood insurance, if I live in a town that's a flood plain? live somewhere else

    Buying my kids food? don't have kids, give your kids up for adoption

    Providing medical care for my kids when it is needed?

    Replacing sidewalks? live someplace that doesn't have sidewalks

    Refuse collection? live someplace that doesn't collect refuse

    Home up to code? don't own a home

    Clothes? stay inside
    None of these are requirements for everyone in the US to buy something. Requireing everyone in the US to buy something has not been done before, this is why it's unclear if it is constitutional or not.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

  5. #95

    Default Re: One step closer to Socialism leaning to Communism

    Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball

    I'm opting out of it. In fact, for those who are happy with their present health insurance, they are opting out of it as well.

    How do I opt out of flood insurance, if I live in a town that's a flood plain?

    Buying my kids food?

    Providing medical care for my kids when it is needed?

    Replacing sidewalks?

    Refuse collection?

    Home up to code?

    Clothes?
    Ban, which "government" is forcing you by law to buy flood insurance?

    I'm pretty sure it will be your STATE or LOCAL government forcing you to do so NOT the FEDERAL government. Unless if course it is the federal government due to your voluntary participation in a federal program such as one in which the mortgage is federally secured.

    Sidewalk maintenance, trash collection, water sanitation, and laws requiring you to provide care for your kids are all state and local issues not federal. Besides criminal laws requiring or prohibiting an act has no applicability to the discussion.

  6. #96

    Default Re: One step closer to Socialism leaning to Communism

    Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    None of these are requirements for everyone in the US to buy something. Requireing everyone in the US to buy something has not been done before, this is why it's unclear if it is constitutional or not.
    What about taxes, Medicaid, Medicare? I guess I could opt to not work or never pay state and local taxes, correct?

    I'm not forced to buy the government insurance if I already have it. In fact, I pay ZERO for mine right now, so I'm not buying any health insurance. No requirement for me.

    All your other "solutions" all sound well and good, but real life is a bit more complicated than what you depicted. In fact, I would call it virtually impossible.

    The fact is is that government forces us to buy things all of the time. It is not unprecedented that government is making us buy yet another thing, if that can even be argued. As I said, I'm forced to buy NO health insurance at all.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  7. #97

    Default Re: One step closer to Socialism leaning to Communism

    Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball
    Not to beat a dead horse, but government also requires me to pay into/buy into taxes (I directly get services from them), Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security.

    In essence, I'm forced to "buy" these things from government.
    These are not a purchase item and SS is not required in all cases. Most peace officers in the state of California do not pay into SS. As I understand some other PERs members in Cal and other state do not as well.

    If you don't have a job you don't contribute to any of those do you?

  8. #98

    Default Re: One step closer to Socialism leaning to Communism

    Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    The difference is that there is no way of opting out of buying health insurance, the federal government has never required every single person to purchase a good/service.
    Another nuance to this - many people aren't going to have to purchase the good or service, it will be provided for them by high-income taxpayers. High-income taxpayers will be forced to buy health insurance for other people. That already occurs now, but not on this scale.

    As far as the "if you like your health insurance, you can keep it" quote said by Obama, there will soon come a time when many companies are not going to provide health care coverage for their employees. Now that companies can't deduct the full cost of a subsidy that the gubmint used to provide for them, AT&T and others are notifying the markets how much this is all going to cost them. So, even though the employee "likes their health insurance", it won't be "available to them". Or it will be "more expensive".

  9. #99

    Default Re: One step closer to Socialism leaning to Communism

    Quote Originally Posted by pm01 View Post
    Ban, which "government" is forcing you by law to buy flood insurance?

    I'm pretty sure it will be your STATE or LOCAL government forcing you to do so NOT the FEDERAL government. Unless if course it is the federal government due to your voluntary participation in a federal program such as one in which the mortgage is federally secured.

    Sidewalk maintenance, trash collection, water sanitation, and laws requiring you to provide care for your kids are all state and local issues not federal. Besides criminal laws requiring or prohibiting an act has no applicability to the discussion.
    Not sure which government forces me to buy flood insurance, but some government is sure forcing me to buy it. Does it really matter? It's still government forcing me to buy something.

    Could it become a federal crime if I deny my children food and they die, or deny them medical care when they need it and they die?

    I'm also forced to have to "buy" services from taxation, which is federal.

    I guess I'm confused as to why it matters if it is a federal or state, or local government that is forcing me to buy something? Is one particularly more menacing and "oppressive" than another? It's all government and it all regulates.

    It's kind of like saying, "You're forced by the government to have to buy THAT?!"
    "Well, only the state government is forcing me to buy that."
    "Whew! What a relief! And here I thought that it was government that was forcing you to buy it!"
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •