Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 10 to 18 of 23

Thread: Supreme Court rules in favor of God

  1. #10
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: Supreme Court rules in favor of God

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    We are certainly in a transition period now. In the 50's I would venture to say that the vast majority of people identified themselves as religious, most likely Christian. I am sure we have seen a decline since then and now the Atheist wants to have his way. I agree with the separation of Church and state but we cant forget our heritage and why we are here. Would you have God taken out of the declaration of independence?
    Altering a historical document is entirely different from correcting and updating current policies and practices such as the Pledge of Allegiance or the design of money (which was recently revised with no objections). Removing references to God in government isn't an atheist agenda, it's a fairness issue.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  2. #11
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,934

    Default Re: Supreme Court rules in favor of God

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Altering a historical document is entirely different from correcting and updating current policies and practices such as the Pledge of Allegiance or the design of money (which was recently revised with no objections). Removing references to God in government isn't an atheist agenda, it's a fairness issue.

    fair to who? Certainly it is not fair to those who believe in God and that this nation was founded because of the belief in God. I dont think that there will be a fair outcome for people on either side of the issue.

  3. #12
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: Supreme Court rules in favor of God

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    fair to who? Certainly it is not fair to those who believe in God and that this nation was founded because of the belief in God. I dont think that there will be a fair outcome for people on either side of the issue.
    What's fair is respecting the beliefs of all citizens and not having the beliefs of some represented on documents which we all must use. God is not a fact, it is a metaphysical belief which some share and some do not. The existence of God is not and should not be a matter of public policy. It is fine to recognize the role of religion in our history, but as I said above, that's quite different from asserting that we are currently "one nation under God," or that 'In God We [ALL OF US] Trust."
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  4. #13

    Default Re: Supreme Court rules in favor of God

    I won't involve myself with this debate too much, but not all Christians want alliances with government, and yes, that includes the Pledge, etc.

    Most famous of which are Jehovah's Witness, but as a Lutheran, we believe that when religion allies with government, it waters down and can repress free religious expression.

    I think it's important to not assume that "Christians want these rights."
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  5. #14

    Default Re: Supreme Court rules in favor of God

    Quote Originally Posted by M Richardson View Post
    I volunteered for the Army, and volunteered for Vietnam, and volunteered to stay in Vietnam for an extra tour. Who has the right to deny me the saying of the pledge?
    As far as the coinage - I don't spend a lot of time reading the inscriptions on the money (I usually don't have it long enough to read!) And that is a passive activity. I know the inscription is there. I don't like it. But I don't have to declare that motto. The pledge is different to me. I am making an affermation - and the addition of the phrase "under God" makes it an untrue statement.
    When I was teaching I said the pledge every single school day. I would just not say the "under God" part - I would say the pledge up to that point, be silent for that phrase, and then resume. Some of my students would question me. Without getting into the particulars, I would just tell them that I preferred it the way I had learned it - without.

    Hey man i really do see your point but I never said anything about denying anyone anthing. I only said nobody is being forced to say the pledge and that is true.

    This is a simple subject in the fact that it only involves 2 words but a very complicated one as it deals with peoples believes and their hearts.

    I honestly don't know the answer on what should be done as I am torn between two views. One being that reglion (any religion) shouldnt be part of schools unless it is an afterschool club or something.

    the other side of my says this nation was founded on Christian ideals and Christians are still the majority and should stop bowing down to the ideals of everyone else to where the minority rules the majority. Not to mention i think sometimes we just have to deal with things we don't like.

    I have come to a conclusion yet and may never fully being able to frame my thoughts on this. Once again a very complicated subject.

  6. #15
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: Supreme Court rules in favor of God

    Quote Originally Posted by Chance174 View Post
    Hey man i really do see your point but I never said anything about denying anyone anthing. I only said nobody is being forced to say the pledge and that is true.
    The Pledge of Allegiance should be all inclusive and not offensive to anyone's religious beliefs. God has NOTHING to do with patriotism.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chance174 View Post
    the other side of my says this nation was founded on Christian ideals and Christians are still the majority and should stop bowing down to the ideals of everyone else to where the minority rules the majority. Not to mention i think sometimes we just have to deal with things we don't like.
    It's not a question of the minority ruling the majority, it's a question of the majority respecting the beliefs of the minority.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  7. #16

    Default Re: Supreme Court rules in favor of God

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    The Pledge of Allegiance should be all inclusive and not offensive to anyone's religious beliefs. God has NOTHING to do with patriotism.



    It's not a question of the minority ruling the majority, it's a question of the majority respecting the beliefs of the minority.
    Spider I really do see your guy's point but i am not conviced. Like i said I am on the fence.

  8. #17
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: Supreme Court rules in favor of God

    My guy is me , and I appreciate your consideration of all sides if the issue.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  9. #18

    Default Re: Supreme Court rules in favor of God

    How times change... In 1776 the Constitution of the State of North Carolina stated: Article XXXII "That no person who shall deny the being of God, or the truth of the *Christian religion, or the divine authority of the Old or New Testaments, or who shall hold religious principals incompatible with freedom and safety of the State, shall be capable of holding any office or place of trust or profit in the civil department within this state." * In 1835 the word Protestant was changed to Christian; In 1868, among the persons disqualified for office were: All persons who shall deny the being of Almighty God.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •